Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Kyle Boller is our Future!

How about the other Manning, boy he looked good yesterday didn't he?

Phillip Rivers passer rating yesterday......12.4

McNair can fumble it away, throw bad passes, and get a mulligan. Kyle gets shat on.
    Because McNair has shown time and time again he will overcome mistakes and adversity and pull out a win. With Kyle, you just never know.

Again, I'm not talking about a bad play.

Bad plays are bad reads, bad throws etc.

Even Manning and Montana in thier primes have those.

I'm talking about dropping back and having your back foot completely miss the ground. I'm talking about Kyle being good for "being tripped by the yard markers or fubling and losing teh ball" at least once a game.

Those are "unforced errors" that are not common. His INT didn't bother me one freaking bit...he got baited and made a bad read...that happens all the time and the other team gets paid too. Those are "forced errors".

Quality NFL QB's do not habitually...routinely do things like trip over themselves and drop balls without being hit. Yeah it may happen to others every now and then, but with Kyle it happens virtualy EVERY GAME. And you cannot have that.

So no I cannot name QB's that have not made a mistake in a game.

Don't see what that has to do with my point of Kyle's inconsistancy with those STF moments. Again, if they were so common and the norm, we would never have even had to think about McNair or any other competition for him. Can you tell me why Ozzie and Billick...Bollers 2 biggest supporters...felt that they needed to bring somebody else in if Kyle's play was the norm for quality NFL starter?

As for McNair...a mulligan for bad play? Were you here during the bye week? Reading this board, you would think we were having a full blown QB controversy.

Players will make unforced errors. Its not uncommon for their to be a botched snap from Center to QB.

Boller tripping does scare me, but he's coming off the bench, a cold backup. What do you expect?

I didn't see those things during his stretch the end of last year. I don't know what he'd be like this year if he was the starter.

Qbs in general aren't that consistent if you let them actually play the game. They're usually going to have an INT or a lost fumble, but its where the turnover occurs and how your team responds that makes the big difference.

On the INT, it was a deep INT so it didn't make a large difference.

The fumble was worse as it should have given the browns points. But, the defense responded well.

In any case, we just have a fundamental difference of opinion about the normal level of QB play in the national football league. I look at other QBs out there not named Brady, Manning, or Palmer and I see them make their 2 mistakes a game, but no-one goes ape shit over those mistakes like baltimore fans do over Boller's.

I think that what you should expect from your QB is points. Boller got us that.

The games where McNair has had mistakes but gotten us the points to win, no-one complains. But with Boller its always a hate fest. 27 points and a hatefest.

Thats where I'm frustrated sometimes. Some fans would rather us lose to Cincinatti 13-0 playing mistake free football and putting up no points than play to win but make some mistakes.

our defense is the exact opposite: blitz 1st, bring pressure, ask questions later. Play to win. If they make a mistake, come out next time and do better.

I didn't see those things during his stretch the end of last year.
    @CLE last year?

Boller is OK-to-good at home and bad on the road. That's not going to cut it as a starter. Maybe he has learned or will learn enough from McNair to be consistently good at home and at least sometimes good on the road, but I hope not to find out anytime soon.

On the INT, it was a deep INT so it didn't make a large difference.
    Took at least 3 points away from us.

The reason you perceive a double standard for Boller's mistakes is that no one can be sure if he's going to do well enough to overcome them in the rest of the game. So his mistakes seem like a bigger deal than McNair's.

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    Boller tripping does scare me, but he's coming off the bench, a cold backup. What do you expect?
    He did it even when he was the unrivaled starter and had full weeks of practice with the first team. The tripping is nothing new. Saying it's all from coming cold off the bench is just an excuse.

I didn't see those things during his stretch the end of last year.
    Um, did you watch the Denver game last year? Boller single-handedly cost us that game with his bumbling. Or are you only referring to the "stretch" of the Green Bay and Minnesota games? But then he was right back to his old self against Cleveland. That's been his problem: no consistency. You never know which Boller is going to show up.

Kyle has been tripping over his own feet on a routine basis ever since he was named the starter as a rookie.

This isn't a once a season or once every 3 or 4 games thing with him...it's routine.

And I'm sorry, fumbling when nobody is around you, falling all over yourself is different IMHO than defenders making good plays on the ball. And that's because all QB's will suffer from quality defensive plays...not all suffer from the turf monsters or lubed footballs...at least nowhere near the rate that Boller does.

And I have never had a problem giving Boller credit when he does well. I also don't ignore pop warner type mistakes.

Bottomline:

Did Boller come through for us yesterday? Yes.

Did Boller help to get us to the playoffs? Yes.

Did Boller make two big passes yesterday? Yes.
    Did Boller have an 85 yard 11 play touchdown drive? Yes.

Did Boller throw for 60% accuracy? Yes.

Did Boller convert 7 3rd downs? Yes.

You did forget a couple of things PR. I'm just helping you out. :)

Now, I am inclined to agree with RIW when it comes to these mental trip-ups. I find it had to believe that he can plant and throw 99% of the time, and not learn how not to stumble that one time. Same with fumbling the snap. He handled every other snap just fine. What broke his concentration on that one fumble? I can't believe he can't get over that. When he gets that under control, he's going to be good.

And anyone who hasn't seen McNair's influence rubbing off on him doesn't want to see it. That sidestep in the pocket on the D-Will TD pass was just what Boller needed to get the extra second to find Williams downfield. Wasn't that one of the big complaints about his pocket composure?

Personally, I think you're going to find Boller going out and starting, or competing to start on another team when his contract is up. Minnesota, KC, and Detroit for starters are going to need QB's by then.

And losac, once again, you don't get to pin that 2005 Cleveland game all on Boller. That was a pretty good team loss. Let's not get bogged down on that subject yet again.

Wink Re: Kyle Boller is our Future!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    T.

Answer me this.

Do you think Kyle Boller can lead this team to a playoff victory if need be?

Seriously.

PP
    PP - two games with 60% completions, 5 TDs, several pretty long passes, QB rating of 104. Not a doubt in my mind. He looks as good as most starting NFL QBs, including McNair. He's good insurance. Especially if McNair's arm takes another vacation. If we don't get a first round bye to enable McNair adequate rest, I would like to see Kyle get a lot of snaps in practice to be ready to step in.

I think we're stuck with McNair for another year due to the way his contract is structured. But I would like to see McNair's expensive contract jettisoned after the 2007 season to help mitigate a housecleaning due to recent cap mismanagement, and Kyle re-signed at a more reasonable price.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    He looks as good as most starting NFL QBs, including McNair.
    He's played almost 2 games at home. He's looked decent. Sorry if I don't buy that he can do this on the road with any consistency. This team lost 11 straight road games coming into this year. Yes, some with Wright along with Boller. We're now 5-2 on the road this season including winning in KC in December which hadn't been done by a road team in 10 years. You point to other factors and minimalize how much McNair has to do with that road record. I contend he's a major reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I think we're stuck with McNair for another year due to the way his contract is structured.
    Good gracious.

Are we 11-3 or 3-11?

We're just gonna have to disagree about the impact McNair has had on this team.

You still seem to be resentful of the guy and I cannot figure out why.

PP
    Last edited by purplepoe; 12-18-2006 at 08:35 PM.

People have thier own opinions.

I need to see a lot more than 2 home games against 2 pretty mediocre/bad defenses, at home, and w/o the deflected TD's.

He has played well when he had to step in and done his part, but I'm not read to put him on McNair's level yet.