Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Kyle Boller is our Future!

BTW, you'll find this interesting:

http://www.nbcsports.com/turningpoint/index.html

Boller wins NBC Sport's "Turning Point Play of the Day".

WINNER: Boller steps in, steps up
    After replacing the injured Steve McNair, Kyle Boller threw two touchdowns, including a 77-yarder to Demetrius Williams that broke a 17-17 tie. The Ravens clinched a playoff berth with the 27-17 victory.
    Total vote: 44 percent

He won? He was at like 15% when I voted before.

Bottomline:

Did Boller come through for us yesterday? Yes.

Did Boller help to get us to the playoffs? Yes.

Did Boller make two big passes yesterday? Yes.

Is Boller our "future?" HELL NO!

Everyone's entitled to his/her opinion, but it is silly to think Boller has any kind of ability to lead us after McNair is gone. I guarantee that Boller will be an ex-Raven before McNair retires, so all of this "Boller is our future" stuff is moot. Good game Boller, but not our future.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Boller did clearly show where he stands yesterday

As I have said in other postings -- we completely played Kyle wrong in the past -- he CAN'T be a quarterback who manages the game, he has got to be someone who the coaches let go vertical so that he can make up for the occassional bad play with a few big ones. Ala Brett Favre. It is what it is -- if we let him go some other team will take advantage of it to the moanings of at least a commited minority on the fan base.

I was hoping that some of his frenetic energy would have gone down based on McNair's example, but no such luck yet. And no soft passes.

Its interesting how everyone gets so emotional -- think its lets based on Kyle than on the coaching staff clearly making the wrong move in developing him and the frustrations borne by not making the playoffs for many years. Well that's done so enjoy the ride. Leave the boy alone!

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    There are no McNair/Boller factions. Everybody thinks McNair should remain the starter.

Some of us are just curious to see what Boller can do with a good QB to learn from and an offensive system that hasn't proven to be a QB killer in the past.

The others hate Boller and will bash him no matter how well he plays.
    I agree with this statement 100%. Give Boller credit where credit is due!! "if we take away that 77 yd TD........." WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT?! On the other side, if McNair plays poorly...he can be criticized on this board just as the Boller haters criticize Kyle, but he is still our man! Difference is the Boller haters can't handle it, nor can they give Kyle credit when he is a RAVEN!

I don't know if Boller is our future or not -- probably not -- but it's undeniable that he had a very solid game yesterday. It continues to amaze me how some people over-react to his poor plays and minimize his good ones.

LOL at the "take away his 77 yard TD pass" comments . . . you CAN"T take it away. Sounds like Butch Davis logic -- "Well, if you take away Jamal's three 80 yard runs, we contained him pretty well." That TD pass was the play of the game, you can't pretend it didn't happen, and why would you want to?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...home-headlines

I guess Steele will now be getting bashed.

This article sums up exactly how I feel.

"If you feel guilty about the terror you felt all day long, don't. You did, indeed, see the Ravens win. At home against a now-4-10 Browns team with a quarterback making his second career start, but it was still a win. With Kyle Boller under center, yet, and not always pulling away from him all that smoothly, either."

PP

Kyle definately had a good game.

He made a lot of passes McNair just can't make and it was prety ironic that the ddp pass to Williams was ran twice...McNair had him even more wide open and missed him by quite a lot, Kyle hit him in stride.

I like Kyle. I just wish he could play like this on the road and just eliminate those 2-3 "wtf are you doing Kyle" plays a game. If he could do without them, I don't think you'd have any worries about Kyle being a productive NFL QB.

He is still young...and McNair is who we should have had his first 3 years in the league.

I definately think Kyle is a "luxury" as a backup...would you rather have Anthony Wright, Mat Cassell, or Jim Sorgi?

The thing is, most QBs not named Peyton Manning or Carson Palmer have "wtf are you doing ------" moments.

Kyle is going to be a gunslinger. Whoever made the Brett Favre analogy is correct.

I think Kyle can, and will, be the future here. But when that happens this teams profile is going to have to change.

McNair has already helped change it. We are far better passing that we used to be.

But at this point, Mcnair can't complete anything longer than a 35 yard pass unless its a complete rainbow.

McNair is the starter. Boller is the backup. But you look around the league, and McNairs generation at QB is almost done, and I expect him to be done in a year or two.

When that happens, do you turn it over to another rookie, so we can have a Boller like crisis all over again? Or do you give Boller a shot?

I know there are disagreements on that, but I dont see how. I think Boller easily has the ability to be a Brett Favre type. And thats enough to be a sucessful starter in the NFL.

If you're waiting for Unitas again, you've got a long wait coming. Each city gets like one of those once in a lifetime.

And if you think McNair is the new Unitas, I'd have to laugh out loud at you. Some of the plays McNair has gotten away with are rediculous; pure luck. He should have had 3 Pick 6's against cinci alone, because he can't throw a deep out or comeback route.

Anyway, Kudos to Kyle, and get well soon Steve.

Most quality NFL starters don't have those WTF are you doing moments every single game.

Making a bad read or throw sometimes does not equate to not being able to plant your back foot under absolutely no pressure, or doing teh keystone cops fumble routine. And with Kyle, it's to the point were most of us expect plays like that...even if he has a good day actually throwing the ball.

If plays like those were so common to QB's not named Pyton Manning, then we wouldn't have had a reason to even think about getting a McNair or other competition in here because it would have been the norm. It's not.

As stated in a Sun article......

• 5:36: Boller cranks up 77-yard touchdown pass. Even better, someone catches it. I don't know why people are so down on this kid. Billick rushed him. He didn't have an offensive line. Longest play and touchdown of his NFL career.

Most quality NFL starters don't have those WTF are you doing moments every single game.

Ok then, lets play. Apart from Manning, Palmer, and Brady, tell me the QB this week that didn't have a bad mistake or two.