Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stockers' Pre-Season Terps and Mids Prediction

Just to get some traffic going in here as college is becoming my prefered form of the game.

First up Terps:

Opponent Result
    William & Mary - Win - Should be an easy enough opener.
    Middle Tennessee - Win - Eugene Gross will test our run D, but should a win here.
    @West Virginia - Loss - I think this is a very winnable game, WVU are horrendously overrated going into this year IMO, but you still have to back them to beat an unproven Terps squad travelling to Morgantown.
    Florida International - Win - The Golden Panthers have a couple of weapons in QB Josh Padrick, WR Chandler Williams and TE Samuel Smith, but this should still be a comfortable enough win.
    @Georgia Tech - Loss - Going to Bobby Dodd is ridiculously tough as a season opener. With Reggie Ball at QB for GT a win isn't out of the question but a loss is still the likely outcome here.
    @Virginia - Win - UVA lost a lot of talent to graduation and whilst they've got a lot more coming through as well I think the vast turnover of talent there and the massive demand for a win in Charlottesville will spur the team to win.
    North Carolina State - Win - NC State have a good two pronged running attack lead by Andre Brown and the D will still be good, but I think Sam will get our passing game going more than theirs and lead us to a win here in a must win game.
    Florida State - Loss - This is the most winable of the next three considering our recent history with FSU, beating them two years back and we shoulda beat them at the Doak last year. Big big game this that we can win but FSU are NT contenders this year and you have to bow to that potential in the prediction here.
    @Clemson - Loss - Clemson are absolutely stacked with talent and whilst they've nose dived before I can't help but respect that talent, potentially an ACC champ here, Gaines Adams will give Jared Gaither a massive test in this one.
    Miami (FL) - Loss - Miami as per usual have way more talent than us, winnable because Miami will usually go to sleep on someone late season but they will start be heavy favourites here, particularly if we've lost the previous two.
    @Boston College - Win - If we've lost the last two Friedgen should have no trouble getting the guys up for this game, BC will still be a dangerous team particularly with their two headed running game but I think coming off of three straight losses and losing the bowl game momentum will see the team to a victory up in Chesnut Hill in this one.
    Wake Forest - Win - Final game of the year, Wake will be tricky and their big running game matches up well against our D's weakness. We should win this but you can't sleep on Wake or they'll bite ya.

Predicted record - 7-5 - Bowl bound for the first time after two years off, probably sent out to the Emerald Bowl or the MPC Computers Bowl, but heck it's better than nothing.

Now for the Mids who I know less aobut but they're in MD never the less:

Opponent Result
    East Carolina - Win - This is a tight one, ECU have some talent on offense and could challenge for the C-USA title, but I'm just not sure whether ECU's D will be able to hold up against the triple option.
    Massachusetts - Win - Simple enough really.
    @Stanford - Loss - Difficult road trip this one and Trent Edwards should have a very good passing attack at Stanford this year with Evan Moore and Mark Bradford, I think that'll be enough to see them win.
    Tulsa - Loss - Tulsa are looking like a very good outfit again, not losing much from their C-USA title game team from last year.
    @Connecticut - Win - UConn have a fair few number of questions to answer and could be in for a tough year this year.
    @Air Force - Win - Shaun Carney will put up huge numbers this year me thinks but Air Force don't have enough I don't think.
    Rutgers - Loss - Rutgers will be good again this year and I think they'll have enough to turn the Mids over.
    Notre Dame - Loss - Be nice to see the Mids break the string but ND have way too much.
    @Duke - Win - Duke have a very good cornerback in John Talley, but that's just about all I can say positive about them, this should be a comfortable win and in a customarily empty Wallace Wade Stadium.
    @Eastern Michigan - Win - EMU won't be bad this year but this should be a win for the Mids.
    Temple - Win - Temple's last year as Independents before joining the MAC next year and they'll be abysmal again.
    Army - Win - Not entirely sure how this rivalry works and whether it levels the playing field but Army look to be woeful this year.

Predicted record - 8-4 - Good record and probably headed back to the Poinsettia Bowl again where I think they may end up getting a permanent invite, haha.

Re: Stockers' Pre-Season Terps and Mids Prediction

Damned good analysis! How do you know so much?

A few quibbles:

Maryland: agree with all your predictions and statements execpt that WVa is very winnable. I can't see the Terps coming close on the road.

re Navy: the magic may end this year at Air Force. The last two games were last second heartpounders which could have gone either way. Luck may run out in Colorado Springs this year (I hope not: I'll be there!)

Tulsa should be winnable.

re:
    headed back to the Poinsettia Bowl again
    Gotcha! :hammer: Navy is locked into a bowl deal with the Meineke Bowl in Charlotte, played Dec 30th.

Regarding UMD@WVU - I'm just a hopeless optimist on this one I think, fed up with WVU being the media darling this year and just hoping beyond hope we can derail them early before they get fully derailed by Louisville at Papa John's Stadium.

Regarding Navy:
    @AF - Forgot about the last two games there, irrespective of the result and for an interested party like me, Navy's triple option vs Shaun Carney will be epic fun to watch.
    @ Tulsa - Winnable yes but Tulsa are contenders in a pretty good C-USA West along with Houston and UTEP, that'll be a very tough test for the Mids.

Bowl Game - I was unaware of that deal for the Meineke Bowl, good deal to get that lock in there.

hey, maybe Maryland can get an invite to the Meineke bowl.
    I'm really hoping the Terps can steal a big win this year (Fl St, Miami, WV). I agree that the Mountaineers are overrated.
    I think MD's biggest prob last two years has been at QB; here's hoping Sam H can turn it on this year.

Wow, two for two so far on my predictions, should go four for four this weekend, only chance of a slip up would be the Terps looking too far forward to WVU and overlooking MTSU, can't see it, but it could happen.

Well moved to 4-0 indeed with my predictions this weekend, though the UMass-Navy game was a lot closer than I expected.

Having seen UMD's defense (or heard reports of) I'm reconsidering labelling this game on Thursday against WVU winnable, I think we're lucky to be within double digits, Slaton is gonna run us all over the field.

I'm also now thinking we definately lose at BC, but I won't change it in my pre-season prediction.

Well, erm, that game on Thursday was winnable

5-1 after not predicting a Navy win at Stanford, didn't see Navy coming out and dominating as they did, that's a huge testament to that team after two less than convincing games to open the year, top marks to Brian Hampton and the team on a really good performance to bring down the curtains on the re-opening of Stanford Stadium.

After that huge road win at Stanford, I'm starting to believe that Navy could be better than I expected. 9-3? Tulsa will be quite a challenge. Splitting the next four games would be reasonable.

After the WVa fiasco, the Terps are looking like a middle of the pack ACC team. I hate to predict 6-6, so 7-5 it is.

Big game coming up for the Mids at Air Force, hopefully those who are going from this board have great fun, I know I will if I can watch it. Army and Air Force are just two of the most fun teams to watch in all of college football, no two ways about both systems are just immense fun to watch. Should be a very tight game as well so good fun for neutrals and a good tense game for those involved as well.

As for the Terps, well let's just see what Chris Cosh does about Calvin Johnson, if he's not double covered on every down then it's a mistake, this could get very ugly this Saturday, the Jackets are on a role and even with a still very inconsistent Reggie Ball at QB, Calvin Johnson, Tashard Choice and that defense are just going to be far too much for the Terps to overcome at Bobby Dodd Stadium in my opinion.

Go Mids! Wasn't able to watch it yesterday but that's a big win in my books keeping that going at 4 straight wins over Air Force I believe.

As for the Terps, argh far to reminiscent of Clemson last year in my eyes, if we put ourselves in position to win big games like that then we've gotta win them, that's how you progress as a program by winning big games and showing the big recruits that not only can you hang there in the big games but you can close them out too, same goes for the game at FSU last year, need to win games like that unfortunately, still a very good showing and can only bode well for the rest of the season.

Still dead on with Maryland and only the Stanford game wrong with Navy.

Really looking forward to this Saturday, should be an awesome day of football, Navy-ND should be great fun but would be even better if Hampton wasn't hurt, still should be a good game. Then FSU-UMD should be even better, I think this is very winnable, our D has still been poor but our weakness is our run D and FSU has zero running game and are being uberly dissapointing this year. Time for UMD to make a statement and it's at 7pm on ESPN2 apparently, big statement games for the two programs in the state of Maryland this Saturday.

1-1 today, became clear to me as the season unfolded that this was an eminently winnable game and that I'd horribly overrated FSU.

What a frustrating game though, should have been so much easier, to be fair to F$U, Xavier Lee made some very good plays, but Chris Cosh made some absolutely abysmal defensive play calls in that second half, there were some great plays and play calls on both sides of the ball and some stinking ugly ones as well! That's college football I guess but we've gotta stop making those same mistakes week after week. Top stuff to the Terps, big (ish, in the scheme of things this year) win, bowl eligible, but plenty more work to do in the next four games!