Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Az-Zahir Hakim

Az-Zahir Hakim

I just read on the San Diego Union Tribune website the Chargers are going to be signing Az-Zahir Hakim due to an injury to Malcom Floyd. While I am not hitting any panic buttons about our return teams, why didn't we look at this guy to return punts & kickoffs? He's still fairly young, 29, & would be a good emergency receiver. He was a good return man when he was with the Rams & made the Pro Bowl in 2000 as a special teamer. We have let a player go to a team we will be competing for the AFC championship with. Corey Ross did look a little shaky last week. I hope he is past his jitters after the 1st game & can show us what we saw in preseason. Just a topic for discussion.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Re: Az-Zahir Hakim

I, too, would be interested in why we did not pursue this guy. The loss of BJ could be ultra-critical in our playoff run. Anyone out there answer why we were not interested in Hakim?

I believe he suffered from severe fumblitis at a point. We can't have that right now. We need hands more than dynamics.

We need to find SOMEONE reliable to handle punts. Ross just isn't there yet and I don't want to risk Clayton.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

If the Carolina Panthers can "risk" Steve Smith for a few returns here and there I am thinking we can do the same with Clayton...

Quote Originally Posted by jbecks307 View Post
    If the Carolina Panthers can "risk" Steve Smith for a few returns here and there I am thinking we can do the same with Clayton...
    Exactly. Clayton is a weapon. Use him.

Quote Originally Posted by jbecks307 View Post
    Clayton would be a great weapon us him.

Az Hakim is world renown for his fumbling problems (I had the horror of living in St. Louis and watching him cost the Rams a return to the NFC title game when he fumbled numerous times against the Saints in 2001).

Jamal Lewis is more than enough of a fumbler for the Ravens, we don't need to add another butterfingers to this team.

OK, just wanted to open the conversation. There is no denying the guy has real speed & broke a lot of TD's. I remember his fumble issues, but thought he overcame them. I just don't have the confidence in Corey Ross, & special teams will play a major part in our success or failure this postseason. There has to be someone out there who can get us the field position we need in the return game. Our #1 competition just picked him up, so maybe they know more than us.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Good point. But, I will side with Ozzie and George when it comes to NFL available talent. This late in the year, Cory Ross will be capable on kick-offs. I wouldn't be surprised if Clayton or others return some punts

Why don't we wait a couple games before we bitch about Cory Ross? He isn't a B.J. Sams, but they must see something in him to keep him around on the team.

Right now, I would much rather have someone who has been practicing on our special teams for the whole season than some retread who doesn't know a lot about our special teams play, it's players, or organization in general at this point of the season

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    Our #1 competition just picked him up, so maybe they know more than us.
    And maybe it's yet another reason why Marty has such a lousy track record in post season -- ill-advised pickups that might actually end up COSTING him games, rather than WINNING him games.

GO RAVENS!!!