Thread: FB situation

FB situation

What happens to McClain now that we have Lorenzo? I kind of thought they would work in tandem but all of the reports I have heard basically say it is now Lorenzo's job. I thought McClain was playing pretty good and was pretty diverse.
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Re: FB situation

I saw something in the Sun...

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/f...,6984012.story
    "Cameron said the Ravens would play Neal and Le'Ron McClain at fullback and also use them in tandem. When Neal is at fullback, the Ravens will consider playing McClain at tailback.

"That's a realistic possibility," Cameron said. "That's not something we're going to do in an emergency. With Willis' situation, it helps us. It gives us some depth that we didn't have.""

Not a lot, but Neal has only been here for one day...
    "Well, I'd rather live with the hound dogs, for the rest of my natural-born life." Swamp Music by Lynyrd Skynyrd

This was Cameron getting a guy in here he wanted.

McClain wasn't exactly picking up the offense as well as they would like and wasn't in the best shape either.

PP

Which is sad because I like McClain.

But it doesn't sound like they are giving up on him. But when you bring a 4 time pro-bowler onto the roster, chances are he's there play with the 1st team a little bit.

This gives you two brusers at a position where we really have only played one for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Which is sad because I like McClain.

But it doesn't sound like they are giving up on him. But when you bring a 4 time pro-bowler onto the roster, chances are he's there play with the 1st team a little bit.

This gives you two brusers at a position where we really have only played one for a long time.
    O, I'd be shocked if Neal isn't lined up at FB week 1 vs Cincy.

PP

They'll use both, I'm fully confident of that. Neal doesn't have enough left in the tank to be the sole first team fullback for 16 weeks if we're going to use a lead blocker for anywhere near 50% of plays. Neal was playing maybe 20% of offensive snaps for San Diego last year, you can't expect him to do much more than that now, he's a 37 year old lead blocker. When you've been cracking heads and beating up linebackers in the hole for as long as he has, you're either going to get a full game every three weeks or you're going to get a smaller proportion of snaps for 16 games. I fully expect to see both of them out there during the season in a rotation.

McClain does look pretty good in the flats catching the ball, and listening to the sound bites, it does sound like this could be our short yardage backfeild. There are not a lot of LBs who can stop Neal from getting them out of the hole, and I dont think many will be able stop McClain from getting a yard or two if he gets to the line before contact.

This is a FB focused running game, and having 2 roadgraders is great problem to have.