Flacco Mid-Camp Report Card

Sorry if this thread title is misleading, but I am looking for some of you camp attendee's to supply a breakdown or reportcard with respect to Flacco now that camp is about half over.

I was really high on the Flacco pick and heard he had a great beginning of camp. But most of what I have read on 24x7 and other places of late have not made it sound like Flacco is doing that great.

I cannot make it out to any camps, and only saw him look horrible in his first preseason play on Thursday so it has been a bit disconcerting.

I know it is super early both in the year, and for his career in general, but I was hoping that he would come out and look pretty good in camp quite quickly.

Any in sights on how he looks? Composed? Good scrambler? Well thrown ball?

Just trying to get some Fans that have been to camp and hear some reports and opinions now that we have a few weeks of camp under our belts...

Re: Flacco Mid-Camp Report Card

Flacco at camp didn't have the deer in the headlights look he had last Thurs...the first time I saw him I noticed how effortlessly he released the ball and yet it had alot of zip on it....he made some really nice throws and for someone of his size moved very well on roll outs, waggles, etc. I also watched McCalister completely bait him into a INT.....but he looked in the competition...needless to say I was disappointed w/ him at camp and then at NE but with the O-line that he had I do not know if anyone could really look very good....

Blog Entries

just a note, it's not really mid-camp anymore...since camp breaks on Friday.

I've only been to the first practice, though I was up at TC 3 or 4 more times (son wouldn't cooperate to let me stay for practices). From what I've read, Flacco is playing his way into the #3 spot this year, but he's shown real flashes of the potential we saw in him when we took him at #18. Next year, I expect Flacco to be running circles around camp with how well he's playing. He needs a year of seasoning to adjust to NFL speed...

His biggest problem is thinking our OL is a stone wall. He holds onto the ball forever and thinks he has tons of time in the pocket. He needs to learn that, since our OL for at least the forseeable future will look like a fishnet with all it's holes, he needs to make reads quicker, have the awareness to scramble out of danger or throw the ball away, and protect the ball when stepping up in the pocket.

His throws have generally shown good accuracy and always have good zip on them, maybe too much zip. He doesn't lock onto receivers too much.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    His biggest problem is thinking our OL is a stone wall. He holds onto the ball forever and thinks he has tons of time in the pocket. He needs to learn that, since our OL for at least the forseeable future will look like a fishnet with all it's holes, he needs to make reads quicker, have the awareness to scramble out of danger or throw the ball away, and protect the ball when stepping up in the pocket.
    That's a problem with every rookie QB. Their "internal clock" is off cause they're used to college. This will change.

- C -

Blog Entries

Yes, but with our OL as well, his internal clock needs to only go to like 3 seconds. Basically, if you haven't thrown the pass after 3 seconds, chuck it out of bounds or start running for your life!

Sometimes, that's not even enough, maybe 3 steps...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Yeah.. sounds like a pretty typical rookie thus far. Flashes of greatness, jitters, timing not yet right.

I have really been disappointed in what I have been hearing from Troy as well. It just sucks that it looks like Kyle is going to start game 1 from the looks of things thus far.

I have watched the replay about four times and here are my thoughts specifically towards Flacco.

In that game:

1. I wish he had more than just two mop up series to get his feet wet. No rookie QB can get into any rhythym with just playing two series.

2. There was talk that Flacco had a time winding up because he had to wait so long to get into the game.

3. He did seem to put too much trust in the OL that protected him. They gave him zero time, save for that one cross pattern pass that Flacco threw behind Harper. On the fumble, Flacco acted as if he had great protection and lost of time to survey the field. On the sack, he just did not have a chance. The line was broken in every direction. Cameron has been working with Flacco on getting rid of the ball quicker accordig to NFL game speed. As stated, that will come with experience.

4. In camp, he is working extremely hard. On 1300AM todaym they talked about how Flacco is never seen without his playbook. He is constantly talking to coaches on offense and even with Rex Ryan. He studies all of his mistakes and stays after practices to work on thigns with the receivers. The players are really taken with him.

5. I think Flacco sitting is the best thing for him, but in 2009 he'll be ready. His upside and skill set is far greater than both Boller and Troy Smith. Will he be the next Peyton or Tom Brady? Who knows, but he does not have to be for me to consider him a success. If he becomes the next Phil Rivers or Jay Cutler, I will be happy.

6. I would rather view Flacco on an IEP level rather than a typical grade level. Is Flacco meeting his goals, or making progress towards his goals? I would say that he is.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

8. Re: Flacco Mid-Camp Report Card

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    Just forget about Delaware Joe for this year. He ain't playing and shouldn't. I totally agree with you here TRAP!

As for Thurs night, he played behind a line with rookie David Hale in front of him and a raw TE blocking for him as well as Chris Chester. But Flacco played against third stringers too...It wasn't like he was playing against the first string Patriots Defense If he is a first string QB, he'd have played like one...just sayin';)

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    Just forget about Delaware Joe for this year. He ain't playing and shouldn't.

As for Thurs night, he played behind a line with rookie David Hale in front of him and a raw TE blocking for him as well as Chris Chester.

That rush when he fumbled came thru Hale and the TE. With guys like Gaither and Terry out the first unit isn't much better. Our QBs are in deep poop and that's one reason why we got Lorenzo Neal at RB because he's a good blocker and can help out.

Johnny Unitas' first pass was an INT.

It's just a good thing there weren't any message boards back then.

:ww:

Although this was billed as an open competition, I think the coaches and front office were hoping for Flacco on the bench this year. We may still see Flacco at some point later in the year, but I think he sits for the most part barring injury.

Remember with Ben Wafflesandburgers, had we never knocked Tommy Maddox out of that game with an injury, Ben would have sat that entire season. While I am not a purist that thinks sitting a rookie QB is the right way to do it, I think it is good for Flacco.

Flacco is going to be a good one.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!