Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: McGahee Knee To Be Scoped

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Agreed again.

So I still ask .... what does this have to do with Fanman's claim we're always in cap jail?
    Because for the most part they are tight against the cap.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven
    So I still ask .... what does this have to do with Fanman's claim we're always in cap jail?
    We aren't always in cap jail, but PP is right when he says that we are usually close to the cap, due to the big contracts we've given our Pro-Bowlers.

But being close to the cap is not, IMO, "cap jail." That's what we were in circa 2002, and the Titans a couple of years ago when they had to get rid of some players (like McNair). Lots of teams are probably close to the cap. Except the Eagles, who for several years have been so far under the cap it pisses their fans off. (I don't know where they stand this year, I'm going on past seasons).

HW,

That was exactly my point. To be up against the cap isnt a bad thing. It's how we have been managing the money, which PP pointed out, that's the issue.

I never said we are in cap jail every year...but for the last few the cap has been an issue and this year is no different. Getting Neal on the cheap might be the best move they ever made. But b/c of the cap issues they are not able to go out and sign quality OL guys or WRs.

Anybody can see we don't have a legit #1 WR on the team. Unless you have a superstar RB, like San Diego, it's hard to compete w/ a bunch or #2 and #3 WRs.

FM

Our yearly cap status has pretty much gone like this:

2002 - Cap purge
    2003 - plenty of room
    2004 - plenty of room
    2005 - plenty of room
    2006 - enough room
    2007 - tight
    2008 - tight
    2009 - plenty of room - we should be fine next year.

Where the FO went wrong (if you want to call it that) was with the signings of Mason, Rolle, McNair and Pryce in 2005 and 2006. Of course, at the time, they looked to be good signings and went a long way toward that 13-3 season in 2006. Now, as those players have gotten older/injured/retired those signings don't look so good and are hurting the cap.

Then again, this should have been expected. Those guys were signed to supplement the nucleus of the roster that had been rebuilt in 2002 and had just gone 10-6 and 9-7 in 2003 and 2004. They were signed so this team could make it's run in 2006-2009. As such, they weren't expecting to need additional cap room now to rebuild. The plan was for that to happen in 2010.

Unfortunately, it hasn't worked out that way - however, I really don't think many at the time complained about those moves. This time last year, very few were complaining when most felt the team could go to the SB. Had those moves not been made, I doubt anyone would have had such high aspirations.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They are? They have $5 Million in room. Depends on your definition of "strapped"

Actually, they have around $7M.

But, most of that has come from taking the retirements of JO and McNair after June 1. Prior to that, they are indeed "strapped".
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Ravens winning the Super Bowl in the next 3 years is just as likely as me beating Michael Phelps in the 200m Fly. Our front office just does not know how to assemble a legit SB contender.
    you gotta at least talk serious some what here.from the looks of things i think we are headed in the right direction.as for you swimming with phelps well i dont see him even making you worth his time.he looks as you as a 3 year old still trying to get your feet wet in the kiddy pool.

Damn I got the impression it was nothing serious until I read this thread