Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: "Ravens want Smith at QB"

Just to give some of you a quick shudder:

Some closing thoughts as training camp comes to an end:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...ning_camp.html

* None of the quarterbacks separated himself from the others in training camp, but if the Ravens had to choose a quarterback from what happened in camp, Kyle Boller clearly was the winner. A lot of the players prefer Troy Smith, but Boller was more consistent and made less mistakes.
    The players would rather play Troy than have the best chance at winning BASED UPON camp?

I wish Troy would have simply outplayed everyone else so that we could put this thing to bed and move on, but that may not happen.

BTW, Preston wrote this, which means hell officially has seen it's first icicles.

There was also something in the paper today that Harbs will award the job based more on pre-season game play over practices.

I went to camp yesterday and my impression was Boller was sharper than Troy. I didn't see anything which gives me hope that Troy has turned any corner to be impressive on Saturday. I really wanted to see Troy come into himself this year but Boller still looks to be the better choice.

Boller made a couple nice long throws yesterday. He looks more composed this year. I am not ruling out that he can't have a decent year this season. I think the team is trying to squeeze more out of Troy than what is there and it is only serving to disrupt whatever Boller might be able to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I went to camp yesterday and my impression was Boller was sharper than Troy. I didn't see anything which gives me hope that Troy has turned any corner to be impressive on Saturday. I really wanted to see Troy come into himself this year but Boller still looks to be the better choice.

Boller made a couple nice long throws yesterday. He looks more composed this year. I am not ruling out that he can't have a decent year this season. I think the team is trying to squeeze more out of Troy than what is there and it is only serving to disrupt whatever Boller might be able to do.
    Well look. Kyle's biggest issue is that he's played so inconsistently now for 5 years that even if he's improved, every time he throws an interception no matter if the rest of the other 31 quarterbacks throw the same type of ball, people are going to jump to "Well it's the same old Kyle". He did that to himself in a way.

It is POSSIBLE that he has caught on to Cameron's offense a little better. Who knows. And we're still not even sure that Boller will be the starter. Troy may come out on Saturday and light it up, and then end-of-story.

Time will tell. I always thought the system dragged Boller down with it. This will be where I will be proven right or wrong.

At this point since the guy is gone after this season, I really don't care which way it breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Just to give some of you a quick shudder:

The players would rather play Troy than have the best chance at winning BASED UPON camp?

I wish Troy would have simply outplayed everyone else so that we could put this thing to bed and move on, but that may not happen.

BTW, Preston wrote this, which means hell officially has seen it's first icicles.
    Sorry Sting, but he's been impartial alot.

He even said giving Boller the start for the first preseason game was the smart move. His #1 enemy was Billick. Now that he's gone Boller is much more tolerable for Preston.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Sorry Sting, but he's been impartial alot.

He even said giving Boller the start for the first preseason game was the smart move. His #1 enemy was Billick. Now that he's gone Boller is much more tolerable for Preston.

PP
    So all that "My Man Kyle" stuff was just Preston lashing out at Billick?

I'm telling you, my ex-girlfriends have been sending me emails from down below. They've noticed the temperature slowly dropping.

So all that "My Man Kyle" stuff was just Preston lashing out at Billick?

I'm telling you, my ex-girlfriends have been sending me emails from down below. They've noticed the temperature slowly dropping.
    Yes, actually it was.

He praised Harbaugh for naming Boller the starting QB last week.

Preston HATED Billick.

Have you seen him write "My Man Kyle" since Billick was fired?

I get that Kyle has received alot of crap over the years (alot unjustified) but I think you are grasping a bit here.

It's almost as if any criticism of him is met with a fierce response.

PP

Yes, actually it was.

He praised Harbaugh for naming Boller the starting QB last week.

Preston HATED Billick.

Have you seen him write "My Man Kyle" since Billick was fired?

I get that Kyle has received alot of crap over the years (alot unjustified) but I think you are grasping a bit here.

It's almost as if any criticism of him is met with a fierce response.

PP

Any criticism of who, Mike Preston? ;) I couldn't really give a rats ass about who the QB is going to be this year. I really couldn't. I have been, and will continue to however, continue to talk about the reporting going on.

And no, he hasn't written that. But then again Preston, along with the rest of the local media, is absolutely sure Troy is getting the job no matter what. So why bother to waste ink on it? So of course it was a good idea in their minds to start Boller. I'm pretty sure Preston also said 'why kill Boller's psyche now?'

I'm not grasping at anything. One or two articles about a QB in the final year of their contract and who apparently hasn't had a shot to start since he came to training camp doesn't change 5 years of writing.

We know Preston hated Billick. Oh we know that. But Preston hates Boller too. And the minute Boller is announced season starter, if that even happens, you can bet Preston will be ready and willing to write another "Same old Kyle" article like he did after the pre-season game.

We know Preston hated Billick. Oh we know that. But Preston hates Boller too. And the minute Boller is announced season starter, if that even happens, you can bet Preston will be ready and willing to write another "Same old Kyle" article like he did after the pre-season game.
    And what if Boller plays like crap?

Was Boller's play in the first preseason game not unlike what we've seen before Stinger? Flashes of good play and then a throw that a JV HS QB wouldn't make. He turned the ball over twice in a quarter and a half. Right?

I too don't really care who starts this year either. This offense is gonna be hard to watch either way.

BTW, Billick is on the Fox broadcast now.

PP

And what if Boller plays like crap?

Was Boller's play in the first preseason game not unlike what we've seen before Stinger? Flashes of good play and then a throw that a JV HS QB wouldn't make. He turned the ball over twice in a quarter and a half. Right?

I too don't really care who starts this year either. This offense is gonna be hard to watch either way.

BTW, Billick is on the Fox broadcast now.

PP

If Boller plays like crap than I expect him to get skewerd for it.

All I am saying is that Boller didn't play like crap in the preseason game, and the article title, just like all the rest, was "Same Old Kyle" or something like that. Yes, he turned the ball over twice in a quarter and a half. And at the same time went 11-15 and moved the offense. I'm not suggesting that's "turning the corner", but at least it's better than what we're used to seeing of him on the road.

And many are suggesting he's had a solid camp, save for the first day or two. Improved accuracy and crispness on his passes, and better confidence and leadership. Hell, I'll take that over the reports from the last 3-4 camps.

At the same time, yeah Troy didn't turn the ball over technically. But he didn't exactly move the offense down the field either. And couldn't complete even half his passes. So what does that say about a former Heisman Trophy winner and QB in the National Championship Game?

I want to give Boller at least a LITTLE benefit of doubt that his problems were linked to Billicks inept offense. I want to believe Troy Smith is better than we've seen on Thursday, and can live up to his confident attitude. I would like to see him come out and light up the Vikings. If he does, then give him the football and say "Go get 'em Troy".

And conversely if Boller really hasn't "grown up" with a new head coach and a new offensive coordinator that at least has tried to put together a real NFL offense (yes, I took that from Rob's show today), then I'm wrong and the dude's never gonna get it, and he can grab pine until next year, and then he can go play in the CFL for all I care.

I just want to see someone try to at least take the horns of this offense and try to make SOMETHING out of it.

Billick say anything of value?

If Boller plays like crap than I expect him to get skewerd for it.

All I am saying is that Boller didn't play like crap in the preseason game, and the article title, just like all the rest, was "Same Old Kyle" or something like that. Yes, he turned the ball over twice in a quarter and a half. And at the same time went 11-15 and moved the offense. I'm not suggesting that's "turning the corner", but at least it's better than what we're used to seeing of him on the road.

And many are suggesting he's had a solid camp, save for the first day or two. Improved accuracy and crispness on his passes, and better confidence and leadership. Hell, I'll take that over the reports from the last 3-4 camps.

I want to give him at least a LITTLE benefit of doubt that his problems were linked to Billicks inept offense. I want to believe Troy Smith is better than we've seen on Thursday. I would like to see him come out and light up the Vikings. If he does, then give him the football and say "Go get 'em Troy".

And conversely if Boller really hasn't "grown up" with a new head coach and a new offensive coordinator that at least has tried to put together a real NFL offense (yes, I took that from Rob's show today), then I'm wrong and the dude's never gonna get it, and he can grab pine until next year.

I just want to see someone try to at least take the horns of this offense and try to make SOMETHING out of it.

Billick say anything of value?
    I dunno, 2 turnovers in a quarter and a half certainly takes the life out of 11-15. And this was a preseason game on the road. We both know the enormous difference between that and a gave in September. I've just seen it before. It's gonna take a whole lot more for me to think about him turning any corner. Even a slight turn:)

You know my feelings on the offensive schemes. Was Billick's offense stale? Yup. But IMO the reason for that is because his talent was so lacking that it didn't matter. The players flat out didn't execute.

See, the thing is, IMO, every offensive coach we had here over the years tried their best to get someone to take the horns. I don't believe Billick didn't know how to run an offense. Just like I don't believe Marvin Lewis doesn't know how to run a defense. It's all about the talent.

IMO, Smith won't do enough to warrant him starting week 1. And that just opens up another can of worms.

Was listening to TV in the other room. There is a long ass weather delay in the Eagles game so they let him talk. I'm sure he loved that!

PP

Billick should have done himself a favor and cried to Ozzie about his lousy talent on offense...seems to be what the guru Cam is doing...no Houston, Cam crying wasn't in the Byrne Identity...save your post and just pretend it didn't happen if you don't like it.
    Last edited by RavinDonnie; 08-15-2008 at 07:24 AM.