Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Troy named starter V. Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by highwater View Post
    But I agree with Stinger and PP, I thought it was a given that Troy would start either this next game or the third game. All the QBs will get a good look. I don't agree that he looked better than his stats, but it was only one game, so he should get a shot with the starters.
    Certainly wouldnt be the first time I missed something in the press.

In yesterday's Sun article about Smith being named the starter against the Vikings, it was mentioned that Harbaugh might name his starter before the third game.

here is the quote:

"After splitting the starts between Boller and Smith, Harbaugh acknowledged there is a chance that he could determine the regular-season starter before the Ravens play their third preseason game."

and the link:
    Smith named starter for 2nd preseason game

Which makes me think they aren't going to make Flacco a starter on Sep 7. Since the third game of preseason seems to be the one where the starters get the most reps, if Flacco does start a preseason game, I'm guessing it will be the last one, against Atlanta.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Like ive said since we got Smith he will never be a starter. He hasnt impressed me at all. Bad throws, bad decisions, and short. Only plus is he scrambles ok. I havnt seen a "good" game from him since we drafted him. Not saying our other QB's are much better but I just dont see Smith as a NFL starter. Hope im wrong for his sake but there it is.

If he drops another 5-12 look for Boller to start the regular season. I hope he's 10-12 with two TD's and no picks; my guess is he will be somewhere in between.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

I want to see all 3 QBs get a start, then make a decision on who the starter should be. That person would start the 4th pre-season game, and then start the season.

Assuming no injuries there is a 0% chance Flacco will start the opening game, so no reason he'll be starting any pre-season game. I completely agree that if it's possible to name a starter after the Minny game, Harbs should do it to max the reps that QB gets with the first team offense.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by A & S Football View Post
    I want to see all 3 QBs get a start, then make a decision on who the starter should be. That person would start the 4th pre-season game, and then start the season.
    I want Joe Flacco to sit this year barring both Smith and Boller getting broken. Let the kid learn the NFL from the sidelines like it's supposed to work.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    I want Joe Flacco to sit this year barring both Smith and Boller getting broken. Let the kid learn the NFL from the sidelines like it's supposed to work.
    Agreed.

I can't believe anyone would want to throw Flacco out there with what we've got on this offense.

PP

9. Re: Troy named starter V. Vikings

No reason to rush a rookie into the starting postion. Last time the Ravens did that... Oh nevermind we still have that issue his name is Kyle! Did not work out well then and it will not work out well now. Flacco came from a small conf. school and needs to learn A LOT about the NFL before he can step on that feild as a starter!!

However I am all for letting Smith start (hence the sig.) but I do not think he is the "Dream" QB that Balitmore needs. Give him a chance and if he screws it up he goes back to being #2. However if he steps up his game and proves to the team,coach and fans that he can do it, then he should be the starter!

When I said I wanted to see all 3 QBs get a start, I was refering to them each starting in the pre-season. I really would prefer to see Flacco sit during the regular season as much as possible. Sorry I didn't make that part clear in my post. Flacco's only regular season playing time should come if there is an injury to Boller and Smith, or in a game where we are getting blown out.

Quote Originally Posted by A & S Football View Post
    When I said I wanted to see all 3 QBs get a start, I was refering to them each starting in the pre-season. I really would prefer to see Flacco sit during the regular season as much as possible. Sorry I didn't make that part clear in my post. Flacco's only regular season playing time should come if there is an injury to Boller and Smith, or in a game where we are getting blown out.
    Understood, but at the same time you need to have as much time on the field with the 1st team as possible if you are starting the season.

And Joe looked so overwhelmed against 3rd and 4th teams that I think it's obvious you CAN'T start him in the season. Not because of what we think he could be in the future, but because of what he is right now. That is just not ready.

So between Boller and Smith, if someone steps up and takes control of the offense, the that guy needs to start the 3rd and 4th game to get ready for the season. I think that means Flacco shouldn't start the 3rd game. At that point you're taking valuable reps away from the starter.

NOW, that said, if Smith and Boller just can't get into gear, and somehow Joe starts picking things up rapidly, and throws 2-3 touchdowns against the Vikings; maybe you give him that look.

Understood, but at the same time you need to have as much time on the field with the 1st team as possible if you are starting the season.

And Joe looked so overwhelmed against 3rd and 4th teams that I think it's obvious you CAN'T start him in the season. Not because of what we think he could be in the future, but because of what he is right now. That is just not ready.

So between Boller and Smith, if someone steps up and takes control of the offense, the that guy needs to start the 3rd and 4th game to get ready for the season. I think that means Flacco shouldn't start the 3rd game. At that point you're taking valuable reps away from the starter.

NOW, that said, if Smith and Boller just can't get into gear, and somehow Joe starts picking things up rapidly, and throws 2-3 touchdowns against the Vikings; maybe you give him that look.
    I agree. It's pretty much a given that Flacco is the #3. Fine with me.

It would take a monumental breakdown from both Boller and Smith and a monumental jump in performance from Flacco to even THINK about starting him in a preseason game, let alone week 1.

Both Smith and Boller need as many reps in the next 3 preseason games as possible.

On a related note, it looks like Ryan is looking pretty good down in ATL. He's got a real shot of starting week 1.

PP