Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Projected 53 Man Roster (updated version 2).1

With Billick, we'd probably keep 5WRs the most. With Cameron's open offense, I could see us keeping 7 WRs.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I hope you did, because 73% of his passes were completed for almost 10 YPC...

He fumbled the ball on a play you excuse him for, and he made one boneheaded pass in his first preseason action... hold your horses he's here to play the year out.

No compliants about Troy's throw into triple coverage? Oh yeah it was only ALMOST picked off, so it doesn't count, besides the fact hat Crable would have waltzed in for 6.... I guess that's why they play defense.

1. Kyle has a lot of turnovers. Troy has a lot of near turnovers.
    2. Kyle is a 5th year pro. Troy 2nd year.
    3. Kyle has started 40+ games and played in over 50. Troy started 2 played in 4.
    4. Kyle was a 1st round pick. Troy 5th round.
    5. Kyle has no touch. Troy does.

The rookie mistakes are not as hard to stomach from a rookie QB. Kyle should look better most of the time, but if he is going to make more mistakes than TDs, he can not start. Brett Favre is going to throw a bunch of picks, but he is also going to throw some TD passes.

The fans will learn to love Kyle and his occasional boneheaded throw if he can win some games and throw a bunch of TDs.
    I think Troy will eventually be our David Garrard, and Kyle may play well enough under Cameron and Harbaugh to create a Derrick Anderson/ Brady Quinn type situation. Hopefully even eventually a Brett Favre/ Rodgers type of deal

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

2. Kyle is a 5th year pro. Troy 2nd year.
    3. Kyle has started 40+ games and played in over 50. Troy started 2
    You know this is the funny thing with people defending Boller,he is just holding off a kid in his 2nd year.Has had way more game experience,and Troy wasn't even valued as a pro passing prospect coming out of college.

That is the frustration of it all,Kyle should have this locked down by now.And we have argued endlessly about it.Even Kyles biggest critics must have been hoping that maybe the time with McNair and now Cam had rubbed off on Kyle on that opening drive.And that maybe,just maybe the lights had come on.

And then Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Boller turned up again.And we sunk our heads in our hands.

We all want that franchise QB,we are starved of that franchise QB for too long now,until that glorious day that said person puts on a purple and black uniform.We are going to rip eachs others heads off over the QB position.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Well with regards the QB situation, one vet name from that top list has been signed, Pennington is now a Dolphin. Whether this means McCown hits the open market now, who knows. I'd suspect it might mean John Beck hits the open market actually, and we won't be in the market for him I wouldn't have thought, McCown would be doubtful, Beck, no chance.

I would say there would be interest in Beck. We could get him late and be ok since he already has a year in Cam's offense. He is too young to be labled a bust yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I would say there would be interest in Beck. We could get him late and be ok since he already has a year in Cam's offense. He is too young to be labled a bust yet.
    Why would there be any interest in Beck? Yes there's a year in Cam's offence but I severely doubt the Dolphins cut him any time soon (before the end of camp) in which case you certainly can't say that he's got more talent than Boller or Smith and he wouldn't have the time to beat any of them out of the roster. McCown at least has some half decent starting experience and might be a better choice than Boller if he were to get time in camp, but I can't see how Beck would be able to beat out Smith or Boller.

I really want whatever it is some of you are drinking / smoking if you really think we're going to sign another QB.

Kidding aside, unless there is some season ending injury or some back asswards deal that we get a 1st rounder, we have our 3 QB's for this season -- for better or worse.

Blog Entries

I guess it is fun, but all the mental juggling can be crazy trying to figure things out.

I'm still not sold on Green making the final cut. And Daniels... average running back time in the league (he is there) and an injury history?? I have a hard time even seeing IR at this point. Feeling that Patrick will have his spot.

Do we write off Martin and Pittman, both of them? We have cleared Gaston/Winbourne from last year, and Prude sure appears heading that way also. Holding 5 CB and 5 S seems logical but how practical? I need to watch HNaka a little more to see if he has any decent coverage skills... if so then maybe consider him a hybrid CB/S and he will be the 6th CB only listed and playing S.

WR is a huge logjam. I still like Willis, but barring injuries, I think he is squeezed. Was hearing some good things about Wheelright (maybe he has a shot if I learn to spell his name wright :) ). I could see them giving Harper some reps, have to find out now if he is an onfield playmaker, otherwise we are facing a Clarence Moore roster spot decision, and I don't think the team wants a drawn-out decision process on him like that, so he gets played and evaluated... I'll be watching during the next couple of games to see if his time remains or decreases... if decreases or disappears, then I assume an evaluation decision has been made.
    Cody is just sad, really feeeling this is the make or break year.

Ironically, dispite the thread discussion, the only roster position that can be considered set presently is QB
    the 1- know what you got
    2- know what you got developing
    3- develop what you hope is there
    and I don't see that situation changing (barring injury) the course has been set.

I can still see a TE/HBack/FB addition after others final cuts. And any S we cut grabbed elsewhere, so maybe it is Pittman and Martin cut because they very possibly will be available to bring back if injury opens something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    The rookie mistakes are not as hard to stomach from a rookie QB. Kyle should look better most of the time, but if he is going to make more mistakes than TDs, he can not start. Brett Favre is going to throw a bunch of picks, but he is also going to throw some TD passes.
    Just on an aside, not that I am making ANY comparisons (I'm seriously just reminiscing), but remember in 2005 when Favre threw 29 picks?? He only had 20 TD's that year. I felt really bad for him.

The fans will learn to love Kyle....
    I stopped you there. That shipped sailed in 2003.

I think Troy will eventually be our David Garrard, and Kyle may play well enough under Cameron and Harbaugh to create a Derrick Anderson/ Brady Quinn type situation. Hopefully even eventually a Brett Favre/ Rodgers type of deal
    This also is not going to happen. Kyle will play out this year and will be somewhere else next year. There is no way in hell he stays. Even if he has a career year and takes the team to the playoffs, he's not coming back.

If everything you read and hear from the press is true, then why would he WANT to stay? Everyone claims Smith is convinced he's starting the season no matter how bad he played in the pre-season game or in practice. Apparently this "open" competition is a sham if I understand all the media folks. I would want the hell out of here the minute the season ended too.

Troy Smith and Joe Flacco are your 2009 Raven's QB's, with whatever guy they pick up to back either of these guys up.

Boller is gone after this year no matter what. You can take that to the bank.

I doubt Kelly Gregg will be in the lineup to start the season considering his recent arthroscopic knee surgery. I am not sure what the recovery time is, but between now and the season opener seems too little time for him to get ready.

I would expect him to start the season on PuP. Not sure who would take his place in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG
    If everything you read and hear from the press is true, then why would he WANT to stay?
    Stinger, did you just write "If everything you read and hear from the press is true?"

Everyone claims Smith is convinced he's starting the season no matter how bad he played in the pre-season game or in practice.
    It may be true that Smith is sure he's going to be the starter, but it's not up to him. If he plays in these three remaining preseason games like he did in the first one, I don't think he's starting, unless Boller and Flacco also suck.

I tend to agree with your assertion that this is Boller's last year in a Ravens uniform, but let's just see how the season plays out. Smith (and Flacco) have time to prove themselves, but Smith to me hasn't proven anything yet, except that he has a cocky attitude.

I agree with everything in highwaters post except if Boller does have a very good year I see a chance that he will be offered another 1 year contract. Weather or not he would be interested im not sure. He may want to go battle Redman for a starting job...:D