Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for Ravens vs. NE

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Um, no, it's not. Not even a little.

It wasn't a terrible performance, but that INT was CLASSIC Boller, and it's really tiring. I didn't see a single thing last night that made me think we would see anything from him we haven't already seen before.

This isn't "new and improved Kyle". This is "same old Kyle".

Maybe that's the best we've got. But if it is, we're in sad shape...

- C -
    Sure it is. Unless then you also want to say that Boller will also have led the team to 32 points. After all the Ravens offense scored 16 in the first half.

Is it fair now?

Again, everyone is going to have their pre-conceptions going in. You are joined by Aaron and Preston. And that's cool. It's the burden the Ravens must carry now.

<<Overall: While Smith only completed 5-12 passes for 76 yards, he showed some positive flashes. He appears to be almost even with Boller in the quarterback competition. Look for Smith to receive the start against the Minnesota Vikings next Saturday.>>

No friggin way. I am not a Boller fan, but Smith did nothing last night to make him neck and neck w/ Boller. Smith needs a big game next week.

FM

Couple of things.

I thought Grubbs got worked quite a few times last night.

The 3rd down play on the first drive would've been hammered by everyone here if Billick called it.

Boller impressed at first and then reverted. It's the same old. Smith didn't do anything impressive but I would like to seem him get the time that Boller got, especially in the 1st quarter.

There were just WAY too many players from both sides not playing to even begin to just how good we really looked IMO.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Couple of things.

I thought Grubbs got worked quite a few times last night.

The 3rd down play on the first drive would've been hammered by everyone here if Billick called it.

Boller impressed at first and then reverted. It's the same old. Smith didn't do anything impressive but I would like to seem him get the time that Boller got, especially in the 1st quarter.

There were just WAY too many players from both sides not playing to even begin to just how good we really looked IMO.

PP
    We're missing key players on both sides of the ball. Most of the starting defense was off the field, which made guys like Fabian Washington and Ronnie Prude shine. We had no Heap, no Clayton, no Terry, no McGahee, no Wilcox.

It is what it is. Hopefully we'll have more of our real team on the field next game.

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post

Yamon Figurs >>>> Jermaine Lewis. Sorry, I loved Jermaine too, but Yamon is better than him. Yamon is better than just about every kick returner we've ever had. And the guy is only in his second year.
    hold your horses... yamon figurs hasn't really proven anything in this league...jermaine lewis is a two time pro bowler, and single handely secured a homefield playoff game in 2000 with his 2 punt returns in 1 game against the jets on christmas eve...

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Great evalutations guys,certainly fills the holes in between the NFL.com videos.

From what I did see was a very up tempo offense for the first preseason game.With backups and what have you out there.It looks like a lot of good coaching has been going on during mini and training camp.To even put anything cohesive out there with all the injuries is amazing in itself.

QB situation,we all see and understand what we have,and what position we are in.We just have different angles but are not that far apart really.Once again,I want the QB out there who makes the least mistakes,
    as the defense,running game,and special teams are going to be stellar hopefully.We don't need the passing game to piss on their parade but to complement the other phases of the game.

I was not expecting much in 08,but these coaches have given me a glimmer of hope with their hardwork.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    Brady was pegged as a 'weaker' QB when he came out (inaccurately). .

You obviously didn't see him play much his first few seasons. He had a completely limp arm until after hsi first superbowl, and first big contract. It's amazing what HGH can do. I would bet ANY ammount of money Brady used it for at least two years. He gained 30 lbs since his rookie year, all upper body strength(and his head is bigger, not figuratively).

That siad, it makes me laugh, even though I knew it would happen, that people are saying Boller didn't measurably outplay Smith. Boller had two boneheaded mistakes for TO's. Smith, playign agaisnt much lower competition had 7 or 8 bad plays, two of which should have been pick-6's. Boller lead the team to a 16-3 Lead, Troy did enough not to let us lose. It wasn't close, that said, I'd liek to see them flip roles, so we can see the effect the starters had around them.

Luker218,

A nice, even handed assessment. I'm inclined to agree with your observations.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    It wasn't close, that said, I'd liek to see them flip roles, so we can see the effect the starters had around them.
    You'll get it next week.

PP

Wink Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for Ravens vs. NE

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    I wish Harbs would better distribute the plays. Just have the first string play the first quarter, the second string play in the second quarter, and have Flacco play the entire second half. Flacco, welcome to the NFL, but you'll be fine.
    Disagree. The team has to be ready for opening day. Flacco won't be the starter, or the backup. He will have plenty of time to learn from practices as the season progresses.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Flacco will get a chance to play an entire half in the last preseason game. There's no need to rush the kid. He needs to continue to mature and learn the NFL game. He'll be fine. Keep in mind that Troy Smith didn't exactly get a ton of reps last preseason, and look how he progressed from training camp to the last 2 regular season games.

I thought the o-line played pretty well while Boller and Smith were in there. The only real breakdowns were the plays where Boller fumbled and tiny Troy had the ball batted down and nearly picked. The little bit of time that Flacco was in there the o-line couldn't stop an old lady with a walker.

I thought Cam had some really questionable playcalling. On 3rd and long he runs the ball and then 4th and inches he throws it. You folks have had Billick's head for doing that kind of stuff in the past. He also seemed to shut down the offense and go conservative in the redzone. I really saw absolutley no difference between last night's playcalling and last season's playcalling, only I think last season had alot to do with Mcnair checking down do to the fact that he had the arm of a 10 year old girl.

The defense looked good and special teams were legit. I didn't notice any tremendous loss in pressure on the QB even without Ray, Suggs, Haloti, and a host of others. I know Brady was hardly in there, but the NE o-line is still a damn good one. That's something the FO should keep in mind when some of these star players start asking for insane paydays. I also have to agree that Fabian Washington is looking like a steal.