Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly for Ravens vs. NE

Just waking up, guys. Was at the game last night up in New England. My thoughts.

1) Boller was the better QB on the night. And while he wasn't impressive, its a pretty sizable lead at this point. He was a higher percentage passer than Smith.

The fumble wasn't something I'd put on him, but his INT was bad. Of course, it was to Bergen and things might be different if Heap was there.

Smith also had what should have been an INT right to a LB but was dropped. Smith looked downfield often but was very hit or miss on this throws, with throws sailing and a ball or two in the dirt. Not pretty.

2) We need to hope Terry and Gaither recover.

3) However, it is good to see Krackalick developing into a decent backup. Chad Slaughter may or may not make the team. Didn't look good, but we are SOOOOOO hurt at tackle.

4) FABIAN WASHINGTON!!!!! Nuff said.

5) our defense dominated New England's offense.

6) While Kyle has his problem with turnovers, he really has turned into a 60+ completion % passer in the last 2 year. If he can even stop the turnovers (unlikely), or, if we could get him some better protection so he doesn't feel rushed, I think he could look OK this year.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    :word

Last night, Boller noticeably outperformed Smith.

I wish *both* had been better, but there it is.

I callz em as I seez em.

Kyle looked better, but certainly still had a moment or two. But still drove the offense to 16 points. Looked comfortable and in control, and actually stepped AROUND pass rushes this time instead of into them. You complete 76% of your passes, chances are you'll be in control of the score.

Troy Smith had some NASTY nice passes, and he does have a good throwing motion and can rollout very nicely. But 2nd year player or not you shouldn't be throwing the ball right into a linebacker's hands.

Joe Flacco gets a pass. Nothing more I can say. The guy just stepped onto the NFL field.

But don't worry, the usual suspects in the media have already forgiven Troy Smith and beat on Kyle Boller. Just look at Aaron Wilson and Mike Preston today.

BTW, if this is Cam Cameron's offence, and the rest of the pieces get healthy and play to their potential, this COULD be an exciting offense.

I wanted to see more of Ray Rice. He was OK, but not the flash I saw in camp.

Yamon Figurs >>>> Jermaine Lewis. Sorry, I loved Jermaine too, but Yamon is better than him. Yamon is better than just about every kick returner we've ever had. And the guy is only in his second year.

I was impressed with Mike Kracalik. Not too bad from being on the practice squad last year huh?

It's a damn shame Fabian Washington has to sit out the first two games due to whatever stupid offseason thing he did. He was outstanding last night! Not just with his two picks, but with coverage.

Boller is more accurate than Smith. Probably moreso b/c he has a lot more game experience, and I think we can agree that Kyle, in general, has more talent as a QB. But talent isn't everything. Vinny T was probably one of the most talented QBs that ever played in the NFL, but he made way too many bonehead mistakes. Boller has improved his accuracy, but its those Boller Blunders that drive us nuts. Smith will too improve his accuracy in time, but he seems to be a little luckier than Boller that his poor throws are dropped by the defender. Not that we should go with Smith b/c he is 'luckier' than Boller, I just think that Boller makes a lot of those mistakes on his own b/c he knows he has a very strong arm and thinks if he waits a second longer he can fit the throw into his primary receiver. We know the result.. By waiting, he stared down the primary receiver, creating a good situation for an defender to step in front of the receiver and make the INT.

I think the good NFL QBs understand that they cannot wait until the primary receiver gets open and go to their second or third receiver options. Maybe the supposed weaker arm QBs quickly learn that in order to suceed in the league, I'd better have my head on a swivel, going through my receiver progressions. Montana was a 'weaker' arm QB but he was one of the best ever at going thru receiver progressions quickly in order to find the open guy. Brady was pegged as a 'weaker' QB when he came out (inaccurately). He is excellent at going thru his progressions quickly. Even Peyton Manning who is blessed with excellent arm strength, never waits for his primary receiver to get open, and looks at the 2 other receiver options. This is number one skill set I hope Flacco learns .

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    :

Yamon Figurs >>>> Jermaine Lewis. Sorry, I loved Jermaine too, but Yamon is better than him.
    :insane:

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTTRACK View Post
    :insane:
    Wow. That was QUITE the comeback. You proved your point.

How about a little substance with your response?

Boller was calm, composed, made very few mistakes. As Harbaugh said, take away two plays out there and you have a perfect game.
    Yeah, but you can't just do that. That's always been the problem with Boller. Looks great some plays, but then he just makes these horrible, awful decisions that shoot the team in the foot.

his INT was bad. Of course, it was to Bergen and things might be different if Heap was there.
    How would it have been different? That ball was a dead duck up in the air that looked like the defender was the receiver. Didn't matter if it was Superman out there instead of Bergen, that ball was never not coming down in a defender's hands.

22 for 30 for 225 yards, 2 INTs, and 2 lost fumbles isn't okay for a QB...

He had some good spots out there, but man I'm just tired of seeing those god-awful throws out there. How that throw didn't make the "ugly" list is beyond me...

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Yeah, but you can't just do that. That's always been the problem with Boller. Looks great some plays, but then he just makes these horrible, awful decisions that shoot the team in the foot.
    Except he had a 16-3 lead before he was taken out for Smith?

Where did THAT stat line come from? Are you just assuming double the stats from the first half??? Isn't that a little unfair?

Overall I was very impressed with the effort, the intensity, the hitting, and relativly penalty free play.

Boller looked good. The mistakes he made were suspiciously familiar, but he looked like an NFL QB. I think he was late and underthrew Figurs, who was the most impressive player. If yamon can stay healthy, he is going to be a very dangerous weapon. His speed alone is enough to draw coverage, and he showed better patience and agility than last year.

Troy made a few nice throws, but is going to have to be better than that to start. He did show pretty good PP, and scrambled out of trouble. He did not get any blocking and had some good passes go right through his WRs hands.

The backup O and D line was very impressive in the first half. Slaughter handled Seymore very well. We are talking about a street free agent vs one of the highest paid DEs in the NFL. He got caught by a good bull rush one time, but at least stayed on his feet and in front Kyle.

The scheme is already obviously more coordinated. The playcalling was aggressive and impressive. By getting to the line fast, using motion, screens and deep routes, they were able to keep a pretty good defense off balance.

The Ravens defense is going to be insane if the starters play like they can and the backups play like they did last night.
    Washington and Walker did not look like backup CBs. Bannan is a beast. He meat hooked the C several times and jacked him right out of his way. He looked like Reggie White against that guy. Dwan Edwrds also looks like a very solid reserve DT.

The LB depth is incredible, and the injuries to Burgess and Gooden are unfortunate, but may allow us to keep Gary Stills and McClain or big McCune.

The backup SS Zibo had some nice hits, but also blew some coverage on bootlegs and crossing routes, but he Leonard and Nakamura all looked good. Landry looks a little faster also.

The coverage was solid all around. The D line and pass rush in the second half was a step slow and bunched the rush lanes on occasion, but with the regular rotation, should be one of the best in the NFL.

Special teams, special teams, special teams. They are going to be awsome this year. The coverage was intense. The blocking on the kick and punt returns was effective and Figures was very impressive setting it up.
    I think they have a very good chance of being the best all around special teams in the NFL. Koch and Stover look as steady as ever, and we have some game changers on our coverage and return teams that are not even the returner. Cory Ivy looks like the worlds strongest midget. I don't know about the cave man carry of Fabian, but he was impressive splitting double teams on punt gunner coverage.

I don't think there is a shadaow of doubt that Boller played better last night. He was about as sharp as I have seen him on that first drive. But as Preston said this morning, he continues to make bolleresque mistakes. The interception was simply horrible. I didn't see the fumble but I imagine someone from behind knocked the ball loose?

I know a lot of people on this board like Troy but I didn't see much from him last night. This bugs me because as I have said all along I don't think Boller is much better than a .500 quarterback without a lot of luck and a killer defense.

Flacco? The paper said he was 0-3. He never got a pass off that I saw. Based on just those couple minutes last night, the dude ain't even close to being ready. There's time though but against the fourth stringers, he looked like he was lost.

I was thinking this morning about how optimistic I was last year and how pessimistic I am this year. The only significant loss is McNair and I was not riding his horse last year either. We have gained more. McGahee in his second year, a new offense, hopefully a healthy defense, players like J.J., Barnes, Haloti, Grubbs all with another years experience, Rice etc. Just not feeling real good especially after watching last night.

Most will say that the first preseason game doesn't matter. I remember this debate last year after the first preseason game. I began to worry after watching McNair's lifeless arm.

I think it comes down to Boller but he continues to show flashes of being really good but then has those dang lapses.

1. I wish Flacco had more than two series last night. I mean, in addition to looking overwhelmed, he seemed to be pressing to make something happen. I wish Harbs would better distribute the plays. Just have the first string play the first quarter, the second string play in the second quarter, and have Flacco play the entire second half. Flacco, welcome to the NFL, but you'll be fine.

2. It was fun to watch the offensive scheme. You can see the makings of a strong attack. Now if Cameron can get his guys in there to implement it.

3. Ray Rice was another that had a rude welcome into the NFL, but you can see the quickness. We did gain some yards on screen passes, where others would have lost yardage. Ray was nervous like Flacco. He looked like he could have broken a couple of runs if he was able to break loose of the screens (or catch it in one case).

4. Yamon Figurs could have a monster season; especially if he continues to get the blocks and lanes he got last night.

5. We are extremely deep at LB. Jarret Johnson is the silent assassin. Jameel McClain has to make the 53. Gooden was very good. Antwaan Barnes could have a monster season.

6. All 5 of our safties will probably make the team. Leonard, Haruki ad Zibby were each impressive.

7. Boller was light years better than Troy Smith. Troy tries to do too much and is not as talented as he thinks he is. Boller was Boller, but he made some nice throws.

8. Marcus Smith should start opposite of Mason next week. I was impressed with him. McCants will work his way onto the team as well. Cameron really wants to use Figurs on offense.

9. Fabian could realize his potential with us. He was a first round pick and taken right behind Mark Clayton.

10. Chad Slaughter and Kracalik were horrible last night. We need OT help badly. We need Terry and Gaither back pronto or somebody. (Chris Spencer?). The interior line of Grubbs, Brown, Yanda, was fine. We have no depth behind them though.

11. Brenden Ayenbadejo is going to be a fan favorite.

The hilarious:

Do we really have a kicker named, "Peter Check?" LOL!!!
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

How would it have been different? That ball was a dead duck up in the air that looked like the defender was the receiver. Didn't matter if it was Superman out there instead of Bergen, that ball was never not coming down in a defender's hands.

He had some good spots out there, but man I'm just tired of seeing those god-awful throws out there. How that throw didn't make the "ugly" list is beyond me...

- C -
    PSU got it right. A sixth-year qb with that much experience should not throw that ball, or at least thow it out of bounds. It's been heartbreaking to see KBoll, game after game, do so well for 57 minutes and suffer another vapor lock.

other thoughts; JFlacc never had a chance...FabWash might be the steal of the offseason...I think Belichik purposely held guys back so he could 1) play the reserves, and 2) chew everybody out for losing (at home to a 5-11 team). seems like the guy loves playing mind games like that. works to the Ravens' advantage as we get a confidence boost...I was worried the O-line would be a disaster; not quite, expt last few posessions...very impressed with team discipline; I'm sure the Pats had more penalties...the announcers were joking they were trying to keep track of all the backups playing, but I thought they did a poor job identifying them. When did Cousins come in? who finished at WR? I'll have to get my own printed roster somewhere...
    Hero of the night: Coach Belichik, for going for two. Nobody wanted a tie.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    Where did THAT stat line come from? Are you just assuming double the stats from the first half??? Isn't that a little unfair?
    Um, no, it's not. Not even a little.

It wasn't a terrible performance, but that INT was CLASSIC Boller, and it's really tiring. I didn't see a single thing last night that made me think we would see anything from him we haven't already seen before.

This isn't "new and improved Kyle". This is "same old Kyle".

Maybe that's the best we've got. But if it is, we're in sad shape...

- C -