Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bel Air, MD
    Posts
    37

    OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan



    I found this article interesting.... FYI

    On a typical training-camp day, backup Chris Redman, who a year ago was selling insurance, performed better than Ryan when you consider he connected on two excellent deep throws. After a bad back forced him out of football and his chance in Baltimore, Redman played well for the Falcons at the end of last season and he gives the team a cushion should they not want to start Ryan in the regular-season opener against Detroit.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...-bright-future




  2. #2

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Kinda like Boller outplaying Flacco?

    PP




  3. #3

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Boller has about a million games more starting experience than Redman, and Flacco wasn't the #3 overall pick who signed a $400 billion contract...

    - C -




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brasília, Brazil
    Posts
    650

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Well it shouldn't really be a surprise, given that Ryan is a rookie and Redman played pretty well last season:

    89/149, 1079 yds, 10 TD, 5 INT for a 90.4 rating




  5. #5

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Boller has about a million games more starting experience than Redman, and Flacco wasn't the #3 overall pick who signed a $400 billion contract...

    - C -
    So what?

    The fact that Redman is outperforming Matt Ryan at this point in time isn't an indictment on Matt Ryan.

    He's what, a week or so into his first training camp?

    Are you saying that it's a surprise that this is the case or that Ryan has somehow not lived up to something?

    The point is, almost every single rookie QB is gonna get outperformed in the first week of camp by a veteran.

    Substitute Troy Smith for Boller in my post. Doesn't matter.

    PP




  6. #6

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe
    The fact that Redman is outperforming Matt Ryan at this point in time isn't an indictment on Matt Ryan.

    He's what, a week or so into his first training camp?
    Exactly -- I wish nothing but the best for Redman, but this is really a non-story on the last day of July. But if Redman can land the backup job to Ryan, that would be a pretty good gig for him, considering where's he's been the past few years.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.
    Posts
    1,540

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    That's funny I was reading Ryan was doing great.I wouldn't trash him just yet.
    He is only taking his first baby steps into the pro game as are all rookie QB's.
    But I tell you what I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the kid was in a Ravens uniform.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    This is exactly what I want to bring up to all those haters who blast us for taking Flacco and not making the move to get Ryan...

    at the end of the day, they're both rookie QBs with a lot to learn. Flacco is just a lot less expensive.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Redman has a good practice and all of a sudden he's better then Ryan?

    Looks like we dont have the monopoly on arm chair QB's.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Jersey Shore, Pa
    Posts
    30

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by WinRavensWin View Post
    I found this article interesting.... FYI

    On a typical training-camp day, backup Chris Redman, who a year ago was selling insurance, performed better than Ryan when you consider he connected on two excellent deep throws. After a bad back forced him out of football and his chance in Baltimore, Redman played well for the Falcons at the end of last season and he gives the team a cushion should they not want to start Ryan in the regular-season opener against Detroit.

    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...-bright-future
    I wish nothing but the Best for Chris.. he got jobbed here.. BB can kiss my




  11. #11

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    This may just be yet another name on the long list of QB carrers Billick killed. Redman was left for dead after losing the "competion" with a bad looking rookie Boller. Perhaps he can play, was a solid 3rd round pick and should have gotten a little more of a look.

    Grback, Cunningham, McNair all came here off probowl type seasons or borderline HOF level carreers, and Brian succesfully choked the life out of all of them.
    Dilfer even looked much more productive as the starter in Seatle for that first season.

    I bet that Devard Darling will be another Brandon Stokley now that he is outside the profile.
    I would not be suprised if Musa Smith has a huge year with the Jets behind Fanneca also.




  12. #12

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    This may just be yet another name on the long list of QB carrers Billick killed. Redman was left for dead after losing the "competion" with a bad looking rookie Boller. Perhaps he can play, was a solid 3rd round pick and should have gotten a little more of a look.

    Grback, Cunningham, McNair all came here off probowl type seasons or borderline HOF level carreers, and Brian succesfully choked the life out of all of them.
    Dilfer even looked much more productive as the starter in Seatle for that first season.

    I bet that Devard Darling will be another Brandon Stokley now that he is outside the profile.
    I would not be suprised if Musa Smith has a huge year with the Jets behind Fanneca also.
    You just can't help yourself can you?

    It's all Brian Billick's fault?

    Did you watch Chris Redman play in the 2003 game vs St. Louis? The dude got hurt and was out of football for years. How did Billick ruin him?
    Now you are just making stuff up. Cunningham was coming off a probowl type season?

    No.

    Grbac came in, the team went 10-6, and won a road playoff game. We had Terry Allen and Jason Brookins as the RBs. Is it his fault Jamal went down in camp?

    McNair wasn't NEAR probowl form when he came in. Good god man.

    Grbac is borderline HOF? That's a joke right? Cunningham was OLD and clearly nothing close to what he was. The most ironic part of your assertion is that Billick was Cunninghams OC during his most prolific year. Which again leads to the point that it's all about talent on the field. You telling me Brian Billick just forgot how to run an offense? No. Cunninham wasn't nearly the same in 01 as 98 and the talent he had surrounding him was laughable.

    Dilfer was a crappy QB. Why didn't anyone bang his door down when he left here? Stokely goes to Indy with Manning and all those weapons and is a complimentary guy. Great. Good for him. He's always hurt and Ozzie didn't sign him.

    Now he misused Musa Smith?

    LOL.

    You're gonna be sorely disappointed when you see what the real problem with this offense is because it's still here.

    PP




  13. #13

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    We are just going to have to agree to disagree about Billick. I think he was pretty good as a HC for a while, but never was very good as an OC. There is no reason the Vikings should have lost with that team they had. They had one of the best O lines in NFL history. The best WR group in NFL history IMO, a great RB. Robert Smith was as good as Emmit. They had a monster short yardage guy as well as big FBs and TEs. Randall was a borderline HOF QB and he had a great season in that offense, and I give him a lot more credit than Billick for that season. Billick was not making the throws. Anyone could have said throw it deep to Moss, but actually making the throw is another story. When he wanted to run the ball, al he had to do was pick a hole and they could block it and Smith could break it.

    The only OC jobs in history that may have as been easy to call were in SF with Montana Young and Rice or Dallas With Aikman Emmit and Irvin.

    What year did Billick do a great job calling plays or even a great job of filling out a depth chart?
    Dennis Green was in charge of the Vikings, Billick did what he told him to do, just like Cavanagh was Billick's biatch/ first scapegoat.

    The other guys, Grback was a decent QB before Brian got a hold of him. He had 4000 yards passing before he got here, and he quit football after 1 year with Billick, on a team that had just won the SB the year before. Do you think Jamal was the only reason we won? That was a top 5 team without Jamal.

    I know a good OC can not spin straw into gold, but they can get much better production than Billick did out the same guys.

    Last year Cam out coached Billick head to head. His team had no defense, no RB, no TE, no Oline and still made some Lemonade out of a Cleo that week because Brian was so afraid to lose the game.

    The Houston Texans last year even with Andre Johnson and Shaub out of action were getting 300 yards passing and solid rushing production from guys named Rosefels and Ron Dayne.

    You have to pick apart a defense with your gameplan and playcalling, not just pound on them until they quit. You have to set them up, trick them, exploit the mismatches. If Billick did that, I did not see it.




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,492

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    This may just be yet another name on the long list of QB carrers Billick killed. Redman was left for dead after losing the "competion" with a bad looking rookie Boller. Perhaps he can play, was a solid 3rd round pick and should have gotten a little more of a look.
    I wish I could go back to that camp in time and get back all of the posts screaming for Boller to start over Redman.

    I believe I was one of 2 or 3 people saying Redman should start and Boller should come along slowly. Now everybody thought that was a good idea.




  15. #15

    Re: OT: Chris Redman out playing Matt Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    We are just going to have to agree to disagree about Billick. I think he was pretty good as a HC for a while, but never was very good as an OC. There is no reason the Vikings should have lost with that team they had. They had one of the best O lines in NFL history. The best WR group in NFL history IMO, a great RB. Robert Smith was as good as Emmit. They had a monster short yardage guy as well as big FBs and TEs. Randall was a borderline HOF QB and he had a great season in that offense, and I give him a lot more credit than Billick for that season. Billick was not making the throws. Anyone could have said throw it deep to Moss, but actually making the throw is another story. When he wanted to run the ball, al he had to do was pick a hole and they could block it and Smith could break it.

    The only OC jobs in history that may have as been easy to call were in SF with Montana Young and Rice or Dallas With Aikman Emmit and Irvin.

    What year did Billick do a great job calling plays or even a great job of filling out a depth chart?
    Dennis Green was in charge of the Vikings, Billick did what he told him to do, just like Cavanagh was Billick's biatch/ first scapegoat.

    The other guys, Grback was a decent QB before Brian got a hold of him. He had 4000 yards passing before he got here, and he quit football after 1 year with Billick, on a team that had just won the SB the year before. Do you think Jamal was the only reason we won? That was a top 5 team without Jamal.

    I know a good OC can not spin straw into gold, but they can get much better production than Billick did out the same guys.

    Last year Cam out coached Billick head to head. His team had no defense, no RB, no TE, no Oline and still made some Lemonade out of a Cleo that week because Brian was so afraid to lose the game.

    The Houston Texans last year even with Andre Johnson and Shaub out of action were getting 300 yards passing and solid rushing production from guys named Rosefels and Ron Dayne.

    You have to pick apart a defense with your gameplan and playcalling, not just pound on them until they quit. You have to set them up, trick them, exploit the mismatches. If Billick did that, I did not see it.
    Since we've made our points pretty clear I have a question.

    What kind of improvements are you expecting this year?

    We know units are ranked based on yards which sometimes can be misleading (i.e. Ravens 2000 D being ranked 2nd to Tenn).

    I expect little to no change in the performance of this offense.

    Not because Cameron isn't a good offensive mind. Because the talent isn't here.

    PP




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland