Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: OT -- Are the Packers Crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    How long would he actually sit? If Rodgers plays incredibly well, he will keep the job, if not, Brett gets a shot.

GB did not have to say anything other than Brett is coming back. They did not have to say Rodgers is our starting QB, or we have moved on. That was stupid even if it is true.

This would all shake out on the feild in preseason with a lot of interest but no controversy if they had just kept the drama in house.

They should have just brought him back, let him work his way back into playing shape on the side like Ed Reed is doing or J.O. used to do, then get him on the feild in the 2nd or 3rd preseason game and start the best QB week 1.

It really is that simple. Brett has a contract, he may choose to retire again if he does not win the starting job, but not letting him back to the NFL, just because you have another QB you want to play, is jsimply a stupid option not supported by the rules or common sense.

The Titans wanted McNair to retire not win 13 games for the Ravens, but like the Pack they had decided to "move on" but faced the consequnses and got through it.

SF wanted Montana to just retire the Dolphins wanted Marino to just retire, and he reluctantly did. Elway would have come back had he not won the SB.

The Strahan off season watch would have been cranked up by now if Brett was not stealing the headlines and paparazzi pack camped out in Bretts back yard and GB.

McNair would have been much more of a stroy if Brett was not doing the same thing. I know the Ravens would welcome Steve back if he unretired, but would have to see him play well before they just gave him the ball week 1.

The only real difference in this retirement saga and the vinny Testaverde saga is the status and contract of the old player in question.

99% retire rather quietly by getting cut like Mike Flynn, even MVPs like Shaun Alexander. Dont have enough value to choose when they retire.

If brett actually has a choice, he has earned it.
    All I can say is I disagree with 100% of everything you just wrote.

You're comparing McNair coming back and the Ravens wanting to see him play and Favre in the same light?

That's insane man.

McNair was HORRIBLE last season.

Favre was an MVP candidate who got his team to the NFC Championship game at home.

Seriously, you think they are even remotely similar?

We're gonna have to just agree to disagree (seems like we view pretty much everything differently) on this.

PP

McNair was horrible lat year, but he is a borderline HOF QB that has been a much higer rated QB than Brett Favre in 4 of the last 5 years.

If any player who retired while under contract unretired at the start of training camp, the team, any team, any player, would let them come to camp at least before they traded or cut them.

I think it is an unreasonable assumption to think that just because Brett shows up for camp they have to throw right in with the first string.

He has not been there all off season, and now is about a week behind in camp. Sure history says he is a better Qb, and will get the start week 1, but not if he does not play well and Rodgers does.

McNair did not get so blinded by the limelight like Lord Favre, but McNair has been an MVP, a Madden cover guy, and prototype QB with his pass first mentality, but RB moves and a FB frame and NFL records as a runner.

The situation is similar because McNair did not announce his retirement until right before the draft, and if he were to unretire now would be after the team has "moved forward" with a vet former 1st round pick and some high draft picks they plan to develop, but both QBs have recently won 13 games as the starter, and Steve is 5 years younger.

McNair was horrible lat year, but he is a borderline HOF QB that has been a much higer rated QB than Brett Favre in 4 of the last 5 years.

If any player who retired while under contract unretired at the start of training camp, the team, any team, any player, would let them come to camp at least before they traded or cut them.

I think it is an unreasonable assumption to think that just because Brett shows up for camp they have to throw right in with the first string.

He has not been there all off season, and now is about a week behind in camp. Sure history says he is a better Qb, and will get the start week 1, but not if he does not play well and Rodgers does.

McNair did not get so blinded by the limelight like Lord Favre, but McNair has been an MVP, a Madden cover guy, and prototype QB with his pass first mentality, but RB moves and a FB frame and NFL records as a runner.

The situation is similar because McNair did not announce his retirement until right before the draft, and if he were to unretire now would be after the team has "moved forward" with a vet former 1st round pick and some high draft picks they plan to develop, but both QBs have recently won 13 games as the starter, and Steve is 5 years younger.
    Wow.

I can't really express how much I disagree with you.

An MVP candidate coming off a year where the team went to the NFC Championship vs an oft injured guy who was hurt all last year and was horrid.

The only similarity if there timing of their retirement announcement.

Besides that? They are like water and oil IMO.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    Wow.

I can't really express how much I disagree with you.

An MVP candidate coming off a year where the team went to the NFC Championship vs an oft injured guy who was hurt all last year and was horrid.

The only similarity if there timing of their retirement announcement.

Besides that? They are like water and oil IMO.

PP
    Do you remember the 2 seed and 13 wins McNair had in 2006? I know Brett was the only reason the Pack won 13 games and McNair was just along for the ride on our defense and Jamal's back, but they both were QBs who won 13 games and the AFC was better.

Did you look up the fact I stated about McNair finishing 4 out of the last 5 seasons with a higher QB rating than Brett Favre?
    Kyle Boller even had a higher rating in 2005 and 2006 than Brett did.

I know Brett had a great year last year, but I also Know that since Steve is 5 years younger and is no less washed up now than Brett was 3 years ago, he could pull a Brett and decide he still wants to play. McNair still has a lot to play for. he has not secured his spot in Canton, but if Brett can have his best season in 10 years at 39, perhaps Steve will also get a second wind after he finally allows his body to fully heal before training again.

Do you remember the 2 seed and 13 wins McNair had in 2006? I know Brett was the only reason the Pack won 13 games and McNair was just along for the ride on our defense and Jamal's back, but they both were QBs who won 13 games and the AFC was better.

Did you look up the fact I stated about McNair finishing 4 out of the last 5 seasons with a higher QB rating than Brett Favre?
    Kyle Boller even had a higher rating in 2005 and 2006 than Brett did.

I know Brett had a great year last year, but I also Know that since Steve is 5 years younger and is no less washed up now than Brett was 3 years ago, he could pull a Brett and decide he still wants to play. McNair still has a lot to play for. he has not secured his spot in Canton, but if Brett can have his best season in 10 years at 39, perhaps Steve will also get a second wind after he finally allows his body to fully heal before training again.
    Yes, I remember the #2 seed 2 years ago. I also remember scoring 6 points in a home playoff game. I know you will blame Billick for that loss even though McNair threw an atrocious pick at the goal line. Heap fumbled in our own territory and Clayton fumbled a crucial ball as well. Favre WON his home playoff game last year. I dunno if you were being sarcastic about the value each player had to their teams. I enjoyed the year with McNair. It ended poorly and he never bounced back.

McNair has been hurt too many times to count. It's pretty much the reason he retired. His body couldn't take it anymore. And he wasn't about to enter another season at that point in his career with the way this team is constructed.

Favre hasn't missed a start in forever.

Steve McNair is FAR more washed up now than Favre was 5 years ago.

There wasn't a chance in hell McNair's body would've healed before camp enough to sniff the physical state Favre is in right now.

I really don't care that McNair finished 4 of the last 5 years with a higher rating. The fact is, Favre had a fantastic season last year and McNair showed that he was done.

Favre>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>McNair at this point in their careers. If McNair did decide to come back, they would be in different stratospheres as far as how good a QB they are.

I can't believe I'm even debating this at this point.

PP

Goodell has reinstated Favre, effective on Monday, so the Packers will finally have to grow a pair and do something besides stalling or bribing Favre to keep him retired. I wish Goodell would have reinstated him last week, because this thing has dragged on way too long.

I have no idea what the Packers will do, but at least now they will finally have to do something -- release him, trade him, or activate him, as either a ridiculously well-paid backup, or a starter.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Packers are welcoming Favre back,and saying its an open competition at QB.

Dohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Thumbs down Re: OT -- Are the Packers Crazy?

since Steve is 5 years younger and is no less washed up now than Brett was 3 years ago, he could pull a Brett and decide he still wants to play. McNair still has a lot to play for. he has not secured his spot in Canton, but if Brett can have his best season in 10 years at 39, perhaps Steve will also get a second wind after he finally allows his body to fully heal before training again.

That is preposterous! :insane: McNair shouldn't be mentioned on the same page as Favre. And McNair, at 5 years younger than Favre, is totally washed up ... finished .... over-the-hill. Don't ever want to see his face in Baltimore again. Flacco is our future -- forgettabout this has-been former Titan who fleeced Ozzie for $33 million, who had one decent (not great) season and one season of total sucktitude here.

And did someone mention McNair and the HOF together?

Favre, who is definitely headed to the HOF, regardless of how this fiasco ends, may have some juice left. (Not that I would want to see either one on our payroll this season at the 2008 salaries each commands).
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I have nothing against McNair, who had a nice career, but I agree with MistaT in that McNair is not in the same category as Favre. You can say whatever you like about Favre's waffling about retiring, but it's hard to deny that he had a very good season last year. McNair's last season was marked by ineffectiveness and injuries, and to his credit, he knew his time was up. Favre clearly has some difficulty figuring out when to retire, but he can at least point to his last season and say he was good, because he was. McNair's last season was nothing to write home about.

i cant knock mcnair but he is in no way shape or form close to being the player favre is.