Sporting News Johnny Unitas article

Nice article about Johnny U in the Sporting News by NFL expert Dave Kindred.
    "We Still Stand United in Awe of Unitas"

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=157973

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Re: Sporting News Johnny Unitas article

Thanks for the heads-up on the article!

With all due respect to all of the great ones that have played this game - Montana, Graham, Namath, et.al. - UNITAS was the Very Best! In fact, if I had to choose One, and Only One player to start an NFL franchise with, it would be none other than Johnny U. Unitas personnified all of those intangible qualilties that comprise a Legend! No 19, may you forever RIP!

Actually, I think this excerpt from one of the comments to the article sums it up best! The guy I'm quoting is actually a Stiller fan, no less:

"I once heard a story about Unitas. I don't remember the year, or the opponant, but I know the story was relayed by one of his lineman. Johnny was drilled into the ground while dropping back to pass. The defender did something dirty to him while on the ground, like dirt in the eyes or something. In the huddle, John called the same play again, only this time he told his linemen to let the erring defender through. As the guy was rushing to sack Unitas again, Johnny cocked his arm, and drilled the guy right in the face, breaking his nose. That takes guts, that shows his character, I don't know if there is a QB alive today who would do the same thing. Johnny U. didn't take any sh!t, thats for sure. Other QBs may surpass his numbers, but none will ever surpass his legend."

Well said, my friend.

Yea, I read the Stiller fan feedback, that was very nice coming from 1 of them. It's nice to give Johnny U the respect he deserves.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Just got the book "Unitas" for Christmas. I cant wait to read it.
    #19 The Greatest of All Time, yesterday, today, and forever!