Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pretty good article on Keith Mills

However you feel about the guy or what he did, this is a pretty good read and really goes into the roots of his addiction:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/features...artslife-today

Blog Entries

Re: Pretty good article on Keith Mills

I enjoy hearing his sports on KMS in the mornings...it's good to see him getting a second chance...not many people could come back from that.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Again I don't buy the disease part but I have alot more sympathy for a guy who gets hooked on medication that he has to take then a guy who chooses to use coke or heroin, etc. That's not a disease it's a choice! That's like saying my coca cola addiction is a disease.
    The Steelers: Still looking for a legit Super Bowl victory.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I know this, he is much better to listen to than Coleman.

Blog Entries

I think when you've descended into it, choice weighs less and less into the equation. I wouldn't go as far as to say I have a disease because I'm an overeater, but when I get a meal, my own choice seems to be tough to apply against my cravings. It almost gets to the point where I become DEPRESSED because I'm not eating the foods my body wants. Conciously, I'm deciding to eat healthier and mentally, that's my choice, but physically, my body is craving fat and high calories.

I think when you're embattled in addiction, your mind is too polluted by the addiction to always allow your choice to come through. Sometimes the demons just get too heavy, and that's why you need rehab centers and things like that.

I don't think you should get preferrential treatment if you've been behind an addiction, but you also should get a second chance if you clean up and stick with the program.

And on that note, Subway here I come...
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

It was very well written and definitely a good read. Fight the good fight, Keith.

Me, I'm addicted to love.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

I don't know if I'd call what he has a disease. But reading about how he came to be addicted, you do have to sympathize. I was one of the few who slammed him right after it happened, and while I do think he got off a little lightly as far as jail time goes, he does seem committed to not squandering his third chance. The guy was humiliated, embarassed his family, friends and employer and will forever carry the "junkie" stigma, so he has definitely paid a price for his crime.

Yes it was a great article. Keith has had some hard times that some people never come back from. I know Keith personally and I know he is very sorry about what happened. Keith is a true professional and I feel as his friend he will come all the way back. Keith doesn't want people to pity him. When this is all in the past it will be a true example for future people who have a hard time getting over pain pills. It's great having Keith on the air again as he is one of the best on his business. He's also a great friend.

We're pulling for you (Keith)

:usa:
    Last edited by Sports Steve; 08-27-2006 at 12:03 PM.

Well written article. Addiction is a disease, and when you are in severe pain you will go almost anything to get rid of it. I have a friend who got addicted to pain meds and he went the other way--he has lost everything, wife, house, kids.

I don't think it is a disease. Certain people, however, do have a proclivity to be more affected by artificial stimulation, then others. It is a good article, and his ordeal really hit home with me. Sure, some people are just worthless adicts, but in his case, and mine, there is a reason that you self medicate, and it all starts so innocently, and it really does creep up on you. You, and no one else notices, then one day, you are in the worst place that you could ever imagine. You really at that point, lose good judgement. The WORST feeling in the world is realizing you are at rock bottom, and knowing that you need something to live, but also realize it is killing you. At that point, the only way you know to get out, is death. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone.

I enjoyed watching him on WMAR-TV as a weekend sports anchor and i'm glad he's on the air again. Keep the faith, Keith. Baltimore's pulling for you!

Good luck and Godspeed!!!!!