Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Stadium Smoking Ban

Figured Id kick this off since it's starting to get political in the other thread ....

I see both sides to this one.

On one hand, I should not have to walk through a fog of caner-laced smoke to go take a piss or get my fat-laced hot dog.

On the other, there is a compelling argument about the gubmint overreaching. If I want to kill my body slowly, that ought to be my right. And the argument that it wont lead to banning other things like has already been blown out of the water. Blue states like New York and California have already passed laws banning trans fat.

Re: The Stadium Smoking Ban

I think it's pathetic that the Havana Club had to go three months smoke free to prove it hurt their business to get an exemption...

I agree with another poster fromt eh other thread. Private clubs and restaurants should have the choice, thus making the choice for which type of place to the consumer as well. As for a place like the Football stadium...

Obviously there is nothing wrong with banning it in the seats. Around the stadium is outside, and therefore should have no regulation. The club level bridges should have no regulation, and I suppose it's not horrrible to have only designated areas in the main concours, btu really there is so much open space, cross ventialation and such, that it's kinda silly not to just allow it there.

I don't want it to get to the point where the gubmint bans MCD's and fried chicken, etc, but they already ban drugs as well, which isn't that different...

People should be allowed to do whatever they want to themselves. Suicide should be legal in every manner, incliding slow death by tar and carbon monoxide poisoning, though I can understand why someone doesn't want it allowed at the dinner table next to them. I remember walking down the hallways of malls with my father smoking a cigarette, I'm glad those days are gone, but there should still be certain places where it is allowed... if the establishment owners desire as such.

I agree with JonBoy about the Hanava Club.

Max's had a similar problem but now they have a cigar lounge.

I was on the anti-ban side for a while. Now, I can see both sides of the debate. Non-Smokers deserve the same clean air as everyone else. When you have a trapped environment, such as a bar or even parts of a stadium, there needs to some sort of law that guarantees equal treatment.

They started a ban here in Houston last October and I have to admit, its pretty damn nice to not go home smelling like an ash tray.

Texas did it right -- they exempted cigar lounges.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

When you have a trapped environment, such as a bar or even parts of a stadium, there needs to some sort of law that guarantees equal treatment.
    A bar is a private establishment and nobody is forcing you to go there.

On top of that, second hand smoke doesn't ever come close to reaching toxic levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    A bar is a private establishment and nobody is forcing you to go there.

On top of that, second hand smoke doesn't ever come close to reaching toxic levels.
    Nobody forces someone in a wheel chair to go to the mall, a restaurant, etc yet its reasonable to provide equal access. For right or wrong, there is a legal difference between private property and private property that is providing a service to the general public.

I agree with you to an extent about second hand smoke. It's certainly not as bad as people make it out to be. However, having seen both of my grandmothers, who never smoked a day in their lives, die of lung cancer after being married to 3 pack a day smokers, it kinda makes you wonder what we dont know about it.
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 08-13-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

For right or wrong, there is a legal difference between private property and private property that is providing a service to the general public.
    I would disagree, except if the government thinks business should accomadate the disabled the government should pay for the building changes. That's fine. But demanding private business spend money to accomadate anybody is BS. It is a violation of private property rights as spelled out in the Bill of Rights.

However, having seen both of my grandparents , who never smoked a day in their lives, die of lung cancer after being married to 3 pack a day smokers, it kinda make you wonder what we dont know about it.
    What else were factors? What kind of work did they do? It might be the very long exposure to second hand smoke contributed to their cancer but other factors have to be considered.

I would disagree, except if the government thinks business should accomadate the disabled the government should pay for the building changes. That's fine. But demanding private business spend money to accomadate anybody is BS. It is a violation of private property rights as spelled out in the Bill of Rights
    What Sec or Clause makes this argument? The Constitution mentions nothing of this. I am assuming you're refering to the 4th Amendment? If so, the due process comes from the Legislators we elect to enact these laws, followed by judicial scrutiny in the courts. If the Libs of MD enact the laws, its perfectly constitutional via the 10th Amendment. Just as there is no right to an abortion, there is no right to smoke in the Constitution.

What else were factors? What kind of work did they do? It might be the very long exposure to second hand smoke contributed to their cancer but other factors have to be considered.
    They were homemakers both, married 50+ years to their repspective smoking husbands.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    They were homemakers both, married 50+ years to their repspective smoking husbands.
    Were their husbands conservative? I think there has been some studies on the carcinogenic effects of conservatism. I will have to look that up.

As I said in the other thread, what is wrong with voting with your wallet? 80% of the country are non-smokers. I'm sure if those 80% stopped patronizing smoking establishments then the owner would decide to ban smoking.

Science has proven that second hand smoke is not toxic in the levels you see in bars and restaurants. There are many things that cause lung cancer. One of them being good old genetics.

Why should a cigar bar get an exemption? Why can't I just call my bar a "cigarette bar" and get an exemption as well? I think seperate ventilated rooms are the answer, but I still don't think the government should force that on businesses. I just think a sensible business owner would make the expense to satisfy all customers. As for the employees: they knew the conditions when they took the job. I love it when the dealers in Atlantic City look at you like you are killing them when you light up. Like they didn't know that smoke was part of the working condition when they filled out their applications ten years ago. They're feeling all high and mighty now because their union got a complete smoking ban passed in Atlantic City. We'll see how high and mighty they feel when their tips decrease dramatically because smokers have to leave the table and walk outside to light up.

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    A bar is a private establishment. No one is forcing you to go there.
    ========================================

Of course. Nobody is making me go anywhere butt that's why I never went before the smoking ban. Sure, toxics are more dangerous than second hand smoke but I'd hate to be a bar tender with all that second hand smoke getting blown in your face.
    When I tended bar I found that smokers tipped much better. maybe it had something to do with the fact that they were rarely uptight assholes. Money on the table more than makes up for smoke in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post
    When I tended bar I found that smokers tipped much better. maybe it had something to do with the fact that they were rarely uptight assholes. Money on the table more than makes up for smoke in the face.
    A little sensitive about being one of the "outsiders" that still can't let go of the smokes? Now, non-smokers are "uptight assholes" who don't tip well?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac View Post
    A little sensitive about being one of the "outsiders" that still can't let go of the smokes? Now, non-smokers are "uptight assholes" who don't tip well?

Yeah, well when someone tells you that you should smoke under the lightrail tracks and people who are paid to provide service give you an attitude when you are smoking in an establishment that still permits it then you tend to get a bit of an attitude. I guess the thing that most of these anti-smoking nazis need is a damn cigarette.