Future plans for Iraq

I can't tell who is more delusional Bush or McCain?

From a transcript of a news show today:

"In Iraq, Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki’s government has reiterated that it wants US combat forces to complete their withdrawal by the end of 2010."

"The Iraqi plan is similar to the one advocated by Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, who met with Iraqi leaders and military commanders on Monday."

"While Obama visited Iraq, his Republican rival John McCain defended his own Iraq policy. During an interview on The Today Show, McCain dismissed Maliki’s request for a troop withdrawal. McCain said he knows what Iraqis want."

Asking McCain, “If the Iraqi government were to say, if you were president, ‘We want a timetable for troops being removed,’ would you agree to that?”

"Sen. John McCain: “I’ve been there too many times. I’ve met too many times with him. And I know what they want. They want it based on conditions. And of course they’d like to have us out. That’s what happens when you win wars.”

No John..listen closely...what Maliki said was he wanted troops out by 2010...there was no mention of "conditions on the ground". It was more like, we don't want you here because you are fucking this country up and we want you out.

That sounds like a pretty good exit plan to me. Haven't we been looking for a reason to cut losses and get out. Bring our troops home from that god-forsaken desert? Oh that's right...McCain knows what they really want because uhhh...he says so!

Do we want four more years of this type of arrogant leadership?

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Future plans for Iraq

Maliki is playing internal politics and has no desire for us to leave until they are stabilized. As things move along and don't go perfectly I am sure Maliki will push his date back.

Obama and McCain are saying the same thing. They both wont get out of Iraq till things are good enough on the ground. They are both saying that once that withdraw happens, they will reserve the right to go back and fix things if the knuckleheads act up again.

If you really think your side is going to do anything different, then you're the arrogant one.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Obama and McCain are saying the same thing. They both wont get out of Iraq till things are good enough on the ground. They are both saying that once that withdraw happens, they will reserve the right to go back and fix things if the knuckleheads act up again.

If you really think your side is going to do anything different, then you're the arrogant one.
    True they are essentially saying the same thing except Obama has the diplomatic sensibility to say it in a way that encourages dialogue with Iraq vs. McCain who, like Bush, needs to minimize the opinion of Iraq and say that he knows what they want and doesn't really need to listen to them. That type of careless diplomacy has not helped this country one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    True they are essentially saying the same thing except Obama has the diplomatic sensibility to say it in a way that encourages dialogue with Iraq vs. McCain who, like Bush, needs to minimize the opinion of Iraq and say that he knows what they want and doesn't really need to listen to them. That type of careless diplomacy has not helped this country one bit.
    Maybe you're confusing Iraq with Iran? Because we have diplomatic relations with Iraq that are very strong right now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Maybe you're confusing Iraq with Iran? Because we have diplomatic relations with Iraq that are very strong right now.
    maybe you should read my initial post:

Asking McCain, “If the Iraqi government were to say, if you were president, ‘We want a timetable for troops being removed,’ would you agree to that?”

"Sen. John McCain: “I’ve been there too many times. I’ve met too many times with him. And I know what they want. They want it based on conditions.”

Oh sorry there I go again telling you how to live your life. My bad.

Actually, McCain has the sense not to put a timetable on the record that the terrorists and rebels can then use. If they say they are leaving in 18 months, you lay low and stockpile weapons. And soon as they are gone you let loose with a whole new wave and possibly overthrow the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Actually, McCain has the sense not to put a timetable on the record that the terrorists and rebels can then use. If they say they are leaving in 18 months, you lay low and stockpile weapons. And soon as they are gone you let loose with a whole new wave and possibly overthrow the government.
    Its not the question of a timetable or not, it's the idea that McCain will come out and say, more or less (see the quote in the beginning of the thread) "I have been there, I know what they want and they want us there" When Maliki just said, we want a timetable and we want you out sooner than later.

American leadership is not winning over the hearts of anyone internationally with this arrogant type approach. If you want more peace in the world and less threat of terrorism, creating dialogue with everyone...yes everyone w/o condition will begin the process.

When Maliki just said, we want a timetable and we want you out sooner than later.
    And again, you assume he says the same thing in private as he does in public for his citizens and opposition to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    And again, you assume he says the same thing in private as he does in public for his citizens and opposition to hear?
    I don't know what Maliki says in private. I was posting about what McCain says in public. I felt it was Bush-like arrogance. After 8 years of it, I am hoping our next president can at least sound intelligent but more importantly, diplomatic in foriegn affairs.