Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brett Farve?

Re: Brett Farve?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Gb's line and receiving corps was NO BETTER then ours will be this year barring injury.
    Ummm, what?

PP

Gb's line and receiving corps was NO BETTER then ours will be this year barring injury.
    I can't see how you can come to that conclusion. The line is the closest comparison barring the tackles who are one of the better veteran pairing in the NFL with Taucher and Clifton. The interior is comparable where we'll have Brown at centre who is a match for Scott Wells and they're in a similar situation with Jason Spitz, Tony Moll, Junius Coston and Daryn Colledge at guard as we are with our glut of youngsters, though they're a step further down the road IMO barring Yanda. The interiors are a similar position in terms of quality, but at tackle they know what they're getting in Green Bay and they're pretty good. We don't know what we're getting, it could be very good, it could be very average, it could be sub-par, we're not on Green Bay's level, yet.

In the receiving corps it's not particularly close at all. Just about the only comparison that we take clearly is Mason over Driver. I'd take D-Mase every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Driver and probably any other possession wideout in the rest of the league, but the rest of the Pack's unit is far better than our's. Greg Jennings is a big play threat that we desperately lack and need Demetrius Williams to develop into. Clayton can make up some of the difference when healthy but they've got more depth through the unit that is able to contribute with the likes of James Jones, Ruvell Martin and Jordy Nelson (rookie yes, but the rookie best disposed to make an understated impact this year).

We've got the potential to match the Packers if we stay healthy and the talent develops as it can and might, but it's a massive stretch to say that we're on that level currently.

Back to Favre.

Here is what he has to say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3486775

Favre told Fox he understands that the Packers want to move on -- but if they're doing so, they should let him go.

"Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again."

This guy has lost much of the respect I had for him. He acts as if the Packers are putting him in some awkward situation. Ummmm, am I missing something?

The team took Favre at his word and he has now changed his tune. How is that the Packers fault.

You tell them at the end of June you want to come back after the draft, FA signing period, and finally moving forward with Rodgers as the QB?

The problem is the fans in GB aren't gonna be happy with ANY of the possible conclusions IMO.

Because he's not coming back to QB the Packers and I don't think the Packers have to apologize for that.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    I can't see how you can come to that conclusion. The line is the closest comparison barring the tackles who are one of the better veteran pairing in the NFL with Taucher and Clifton. The interior is comparable where we'll have Brown at centre who is a match for Scott Wells and they're in a similar situation with Jason Spitz, Tony Moll, Junius Coston and Daryn Colledge at guard as we are with our glut of youngsters, though they're a step further down the road IMO barring Yanda. The interiors are a similar position in terms of quality, but at tackle they know what they're getting in Green Bay and they're pretty good. We don't know what we're getting, it could be very good, it could be very average, it could be sub-par, we're not on Green Bay's level, yet.

In the receiving corps it's not particularly close at all. Just about the only comparison that we take clearly is Mason over Driver. I'd take D-Mase every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Driver and probably any other possession wideout in the rest of the league, but the rest of the Pack's unit is far better than our's. Greg Jennings is a big play threat that we desperately lack and need Demetrius Williams to develop into. Clayton can make up some of the difference when healthy but they've got more depth through the unit that is able to contribute with the likes of James Jones, Ruvell Martin and Jordy Nelson (rookie yes, but the rookie best disposed to make an understated impact this year).

We've got the potential to match the Packers if we stay healthy and the talent develops as it can and might, but it's a massive stretch to say that we're on that level currently.
    Our interior is markedly better, their T's should be better... ours could be better.

Their WR corps was made to look better then they are by Favre, our WR coprs has been consistantly worse with our mess at passer.

I think if you put Favre in our lineuo and Boller in theirs, we look better.

FWIW, I think Rodgers will do fairly well.

If Yanda plays as well at guard as he did at tackle (no reason to think he mightn't be better, which would be a big plus) then I think our interior can be better. But with two players moving to new positions and Grubbs really needing to improve on what was a disappointing rookie season in my estimation (I thought barring Flynn he was comfortably the worst player on our line last year), I don't think our interior is better than their's. I like what our line brings in terms of talent and how it can/should mould together into a unit, but for right now we're not on the Packers level just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    The problem is the fans in GB aren't gonna be happy with ANY of the possible conclusions IMO.
    I can't see any way that this situation can be resolved. The Packers look petty by refusing to release him, and stupid if they bring him back and refuse to play him, and Favre looks foolish for changing his mind. Maybe Favre will change his mind (again) and stay retired, but he sure doesn't sound as if he wants to do that.

I defy you to find me ten people in this entire COUNTRY that aren't hardcore blindly loyal Ravens fans that would agree with this point.

This is insane.

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    I defy you to find me ten people in this entire COUNTRY that aren't hardcore blindly loyal Ravens fans that would agree with this point.

This is insane.

- C -
    It's pretty widely expressed they have a mediocre line and a above average receiving corps... don't forget to include Heap...

I don't think my comment is that out of line.

Thumbs down Re: Brett Farve?

And dabruise? WHY on EARTH would ANYONE in M +T boo Favre in a purple jersey, that is pure lunacy. He would walk onto the field and INSTANTLY be the best QB we have ever had, by a MILE.
    LOL,

I meant when, and I do mean WHEN he stinks it up. This M and T crowd cheered when Boller got hurt. If we mortgage the farm for Favre and he sucks, they will boo him like no one before him.

Why are we talking about selling the future of the team for a 38 year old who had one above average season out of the last 5 and couldn't be a worse primadonna headache for our team? Haven't we been down this road before? What happened to the "Ravens way"?

Oh yeah, that is the Ravens Way. I thought we were trying to leave THAT Ravens Way behind and move on. Hmmmm.

The Ravens way is to play with 10 men on offense. I'd like to move away from that.

1 above average season of 5? You mean 1 MVP caliber season in 5? 03 and 04 were certainly above average as well. 90 plus ratings 25+ Td's, greater then 1:1 TD to INT ratio... 3 of his last 5 seasons have produced results far greater then ANY Raven QB...

I still can't shake the image of the Monday night game in 2005 when it seemed like Brett and Boller swapped jerseys before the game. Boller threw TDs and Brett about 4 or 5 picks just up for grabs as bad or worse than the one Kyle threw vs NE.

Brett Favre had a lower QB rating then Kyle Boller in both 2005 and 2006. He is 38, and I think there is more of a chance of Kyle winning a SB than Brett at this point.

Last year Brett was incredible, and better than Kyle in his dreams, but when the money was on the line, he still forced the ball into coverage for a game losing pick.

The only way I would want him here is if GB cuts him and he signs a reasonable contract, and Boller still looks bad.

I have a strong feeling that every player on the Ravens offense is going to look way better than we thought they were.

The playclock issues/ tempo/ time at line/ shifts/ motion/ audibles/ false cadence, all the things the good offenseive teams do in the NFL, all seemed like new changes for the Ravens O.

Jason Brown at C is also going to be huge. I expect him to be able to handle the division DTs that Flynn always seemed to need a double team at least.

If you look close at the Dolphins O last year before they traded Chambers and Ronnie Brown got hurt, they were able to do a lot better than were were with a healthy Heap, Willis and Mason.

Does Brett give us the best shot at a SB title this year? Well yeah but it's still a real long shot even with him.

The main reason I would want Brett, really the only reason I would want him, is because none of the QBs on our roster have ever actually seen a real NFL QB. Favre has proven that he's a good mentor for young QBs and we need one of those.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock