Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brett Farve?

Re: Brett Farve?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    No thanks. He's not that good anymore, and far too expensive.
    LOL.

There are a myriad of reasons why Favre wouldn't be a good fit for our situation.

However, his skill level isn't one of them.

He went to the NFC Champ game and darb already posted his stats.

What is "good" to you? You wanted Jake Plummer a few years ago and have championed Kyle Boller for years.

And then you say Brett Favre isn't that good anymore? Hell, halfway through last season he was mentioned as an MVP candidate.

PP

FFS people, it's FaVre!! Not FaRve. Or Faver. Or Fahave. Or Favor.

It's really not that difficult!

I feel better now.

[QUOTE=HoustonRaven;85756]If we were one QB away from seriously contending for a SB, then it MIGHT be worth the gamble.

QUOTE]

I disagree on this point here. When healthy we are MUCH more akin to our 13-3 season, then our 5-11 season

And dabruise? WHY on EARTH would ANYONE in M +T boo Favre in a purple jersey, that is pure lunacy. He would walk onto the field and INSTANTLY be the best QB we have ever had, by a MILE.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I disagree on this point here. When healthy we are MUCH more akin to our 13-3 season, then our 5-11 season.
    We're two years removed from that season, with an aging receiver corps with no star WR, no Ogden (and a young O line as a whole), a giant question mark at QB and a new head coach / O coordinator that are unproven.

We're far from the 13-3 season, let alone SB contenders.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Wink Re: Brett Farve?

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    LOL.

There are a myriad of reasons why Favre wouldn't be a good fit for our situation.

However, his skill level isn't one of them.

He went to the NFC Champ game and darb already posted his stats.

What is "good" to you? You wanted Jake Plummer a few years ago and have championed Kyle Boller for years.

And then you say Brett Favre isn't that good anymore? Hell, halfway through last season he was mentioned as an MVP candidate.

PP
    Favre was the best QB in the NFL in the late '90s, and one of the best through 2004. He looked tired in 2005 & 2006. He certainly came back in 2007. I believe Favre as a Raven, behind our OL and with our receivers, would play closer to his 2005/2006 years than what we saw last season. He will be 39 this season.

If we could pick him up for a 4th rounder and at a $3 million salary (cutting Boller for a salary cap wash), I would forget about all the above! But I assume that Favre would require multi-millions

As to Plummer, the year I was hoping to get him was 2003. Instead, we went with Boller & Wright. I still think I was right.

As to your Boller comment, I don't see what Boller has to do with the price of eggs in this discussion. We haven't had a better QB on this team since he was drafted. And we haven't had a decent QB to lead this team since Randall Cunningham retired. My opinions, no better than yours, if you disagree. If you want to call that "championing" him, so be it. I prefer to think it's supporting the least of all evils. All that means nothing in 2008. If Favre were to wind up here, Boller would be the logical one to let go because of his salary. Smith's contract is dirt cheap (even for a backup), and Flacco will hopefully become the next Carson Palmer, if Samari Rolle's prognosis is correct.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

We're two years removed from that season, with an aging receiver corps with no star WR, no Ogden (and a young O line as a whole), a giant question mark at QB and a new head coach / O coordinator that are unproven.

We're far from the 13-3 season, let alone SB contenders.
    We only have two members of our receiving corps over 25 (Clayton, 26, and Mason, 34). OK they're far from proven and there's a quality issue there, but they aren't aging.

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    I'm by no means saying Favre will end up here, but the fact that a Ravens "source" said anything at all on him makes me more apt to think they will make a play then if nothing at all was said. That just seems to be the way the game is played in the NFL.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Gb's line and receiving corps was NO BETTER then ours will be this year barring injury.

Gb's line and receiving corps was NO BETTER then ours will be this year barring injury.
    Ummm, what?

PP

I can't see how you can come to that conclusion. The line is the closest comparison barring the tackles who are one of the better veteran pairing in the NFL with Taucher and Clifton. The interior is comparable where we'll have Brown at centre who is a match for Scott Wells and they're in a similar situation with Jason Spitz, Tony Moll, Junius Coston and Daryn Colledge at guard as we are with our glut of youngsters, though they're a step further down the road IMO barring Yanda. The interiors are a similar position in terms of quality, but at tackle they know what they're getting in Green Bay and they're pretty good. We don't know what we're getting, it could be very good, it could be very average, it could be sub-par, we're not on Green Bay's level, yet.

In the receiving corps it's not particularly close at all. Just about the only comparison that we take clearly is Mason over Driver. I'd take D-Mase every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Driver and probably any other possession wideout in the rest of the league, but the rest of the Pack's unit is far better than our's. Greg Jennings is a big play threat that we desperately lack and need Demetrius Williams to develop into. Clayton can make up some of the difference when healthy but they've got more depth through the unit that is able to contribute with the likes of James Jones, Ruvell Martin and Jordy Nelson (rookie yes, but the rookie best disposed to make an understated impact this year).

We've got the potential to match the Packers if we stay healthy and the talent develops as it can and might, but it's a massive stretch to say that we're on that level currently.

Back to Favre.

Here is what he has to say.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3486775

Favre told Fox he understands that the Packers want to move on -- but if they're doing so, they should let him go.

"Them moving on does not bother me," Favre said. "It doesn't. I totally understand that. By me retiring March 3rd, I knew that could possibly happen. All I was saying is, you know, I'm thinking about playing again."

This guy has lost much of the respect I had for him. He acts as if the Packers are putting him in some awkward situation. Ummmm, am I missing something?

The team took Favre at his word and he has now changed his tune. How is that the Packers fault.

You tell them at the end of June you want to come back after the draft, FA signing period, and finally moving forward with Rodgers as the QB?

The problem is the fans in GB aren't gonna be happy with ANY of the possible conclusions IMO.

Because he's not coming back to QB the Packers and I don't think the Packers have to apologize for that.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    I can't see how you can come to that conclusion. The line is the closest comparison barring the tackles who are one of the better veteran pairing in the NFL with Taucher and Clifton. The interior is comparable where we'll have Brown at centre who is a match for Scott Wells and they're in a similar situation with Jason Spitz, Tony Moll, Junius Coston and Daryn Colledge at guard as we are with our glut of youngsters, though they're a step further down the road IMO barring Yanda. The interiors are a similar position in terms of quality, but at tackle they know what they're getting in Green Bay and they're pretty good. We don't know what we're getting, it could be very good, it could be very average, it could be sub-par, we're not on Green Bay's level, yet.

In the receiving corps it's not particularly close at all. Just about the only comparison that we take clearly is Mason over Driver. I'd take D-Mase every day of the week and twice on Sunday over Driver and probably any other possession wideout in the rest of the league, but the rest of the Pack's unit is far better than our's. Greg Jennings is a big play threat that we desperately lack and need Demetrius Williams to develop into. Clayton can make up some of the difference when healthy but they've got more depth through the unit that is able to contribute with the likes of James Jones, Ruvell Martin and Jordy Nelson (rookie yes, but the rookie best disposed to make an understated impact this year).

We've got the potential to match the Packers if we stay healthy and the talent develops as it can and might, but it's a massive stretch to say that we're on that level currently.
    Our interior is markedly better, their T's should be better... ours could be better.

Their WR corps was made to look better then they are by Favre, our WR coprs has been consistantly worse with our mess at passer.

I think if you put Favre in our lineuo and Boller in theirs, we look better.

FWIW, I think Rodgers will do fairly well.

If Yanda plays as well at guard as he did at tackle (no reason to think he mightn't be better, which would be a big plus) then I think our interior can be better. But with two players moving to new positions and Grubbs really needing to improve on what was a disappointing rookie season in my estimation (I thought barring Flynn he was comfortably the worst player on our line last year), I don't think our interior is better than their's. I like what our line brings in terms of talent and how it can/should mould together into a unit, but for right now we're not on the Packers level just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    The problem is the fans in GB aren't gonna be happy with ANY of the possible conclusions IMO.
    I can't see any way that this situation can be resolved. The Packers look petty by refusing to release him, and stupid if they bring him back and refuse to play him, and Favre looks foolish for changing his mind. Maybe Favre will change his mind (again) and stay retired, but he sure doesn't sound as if he wants to do that.