Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brett Farve?

Re: Brett Farve?

Quote Originally Posted by Mwjergs View Post
    No. No. No. A thousand times No.

Offensive Line - With Ogden's retirement we need some stability as a new crop needs time to gel.
    Recievers - Is Heap, Clayton, Williams healthy? Do we even have a deep threat?
    Secondary - What about the health of Rolle and McAlister?
    Pass Rush - Will Suggs be T-Sizzle or T-Fizzle this season? Where is Trevor Pryce?
    QB - Does Smith start over Boller? When does Bazooka Joe get his shot to prove he's a first round pick?
    Coaching - Will Harbaugh prove to be the right choice? Does Cam remember who to draw up plays that score?
    Excellent points even beyond a possible Farve deal...which makes the arguement of not going for him even greater!
    "Everywhere I go people say, 'Art, I had a beer with you.' If that were true, I would have drank every night of my life" Art Donovan#70

No Squishy. You must have stayed up too late reading in latin. Its kind of fun to think about and anything that enhances our chance for wining now is always intriguing, but think of the investment.

1. It would be a huge salary cap gamble. Could tie us up for a couple of years.

2. We don't really know if he has anything or not. He was pretty below average for the years leading up to last year and he's even older now. Do you really think he's been putting in a Jerry Rice "Old NFL guy" regimen during his offseason contemplation period? He'll be out of shape, won't know the system or playbook, receivers or offensive line. He won't even know where the bathroom mirrors are. To be honest, I thought he'd get busted for being on the juice halfway through the season last year.

3. He'll be out of shape, won't know the system or playbook, receivers or offensive line. (Yes, repeated for effect)

4. How do you think Bayou Boy would do in the big city culturally? Especially where he won't be idolized. This new crop of Ravens "fans" will boo him.

5. Wasn't it nice to have an offseason with so little distraction? Her highness dramalot would not allow an offseason to revolve around anything but her.

6. Most importantly, by picking up Favre, you are throwing Troy Smith in the tank permanently - without ever really seeing what he has. Did he light it up last year? No. but he held onto the ball, showed poise and a grasp of his task. The boy has grit. I like grit. Alot.

Yes, there are some positives that might, might happen. The magic of another 13-3 season? Possibly, if the line shapes up and Favre can learn a playbook (something he hasn't had to do for years) . But then what? Smooth transition to Flacco in 2010? 2010! for the franchise QB of the future? That's Aaron Rodgers type future. Oh yeah, they will have the same QB of the present.

I say, let the young guys play. Let this team develop its own identity with Smith or/and Flacco at the helm and give us 6-8 years of solid, maybe exciting, competitive football. Who knows, maybe Smith is the real deal and we can get the 9-7/10-6 season I'm predicting? Get this group in the playoffs and who knows?....

Someone else said it earlier and I think it bear repeating.

If we were one QB away from seriously contending for a SB, then it MIGHT be worth the gamble.

Since we are not, it's idiotic to bring him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    No thanks. He's not that good anymore, and far too expensive.
    LOL.

There are a myriad of reasons why Favre wouldn't be a good fit for our situation.

However, his skill level isn't one of them.

He went to the NFC Champ game and darb already posted his stats.

What is "good" to you? You wanted Jake Plummer a few years ago and have championed Kyle Boller for years.

And then you say Brett Favre isn't that good anymore? Hell, halfway through last season he was mentioned as an MVP candidate.

PP

FFS people, it's FaVre!! Not FaRve. Or Faver. Or Fahave. Or Favor.

It's really not that difficult!

I feel better now.

[QUOTE=HoustonRaven;85756]If we were one QB away from seriously contending for a SB, then it MIGHT be worth the gamble.

QUOTE]

I disagree on this point here. When healthy we are MUCH more akin to our 13-3 season, then our 5-11 season

And dabruise? WHY on EARTH would ANYONE in M +T boo Favre in a purple jersey, that is pure lunacy. He would walk onto the field and INSTANTLY be the best QB we have ever had, by a MILE.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I disagree on this point here. When healthy we are MUCH more akin to our 13-3 season, then our 5-11 season.
    We're two years removed from that season, with an aging receiver corps with no star WR, no Ogden (and a young O line as a whole), a giant question mark at QB and a new head coach / O coordinator that are unproven.

We're far from the 13-3 season, let alone SB contenders.

Wink Re: Brett Farve?

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    LOL.

There are a myriad of reasons why Favre wouldn't be a good fit for our situation.

However, his skill level isn't one of them.

He went to the NFC Champ game and darb already posted his stats.

What is "good" to you? You wanted Jake Plummer a few years ago and have championed Kyle Boller for years.

And then you say Brett Favre isn't that good anymore? Hell, halfway through last season he was mentioned as an MVP candidate.

PP
    Favre was the best QB in the NFL in the late '90s, and one of the best through 2004. He looked tired in 2005 & 2006. He certainly came back in 2007. I believe Favre as a Raven, behind our OL and with our receivers, would play closer to his 2005/2006 years than what we saw last season. He will be 39 this season.

If we could pick him up for a 4th rounder and at a $3 million salary (cutting Boller for a salary cap wash), I would forget about all the above! But I assume that Favre would require multi-millions

As to Plummer, the year I was hoping to get him was 2003. Instead, we went with Boller & Wright. I still think I was right.

As to your Boller comment, I don't see what Boller has to do with the price of eggs in this discussion. We haven't had a better QB on this team since he was drafted. And we haven't had a decent QB to lead this team since Randall Cunningham retired. My opinions, no better than yours, if you disagree. If you want to call that "championing" him, so be it. I prefer to think it's supporting the least of all evils. All that means nothing in 2008. If Favre were to wind up here, Boller would be the logical one to let go because of his salary. Smith's contract is dirt cheap (even for a backup), and Flacco will hopefully become the next Carson Palmer, if Samari Rolle's prognosis is correct.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

We're two years removed from that season, with an aging receiver corps with no star WR, no Ogden (and a young O line as a whole), a giant question mark at QB and a new head coach / O coordinator that are unproven.

We're far from the 13-3 season, let alone SB contenders.
    We only have two members of our receiving corps over 25 (Clayton, 26, and Mason, 34). OK they're far from proven and there's a quality issue there, but they aren't aging.

Quote Originally Posted by Bez513 View Post
    I'm by no means saying Favre will end up here, but the fact that a Ravens "source" said anything at all on him makes me more apt to think they will make a play then if nothing at all was said. That just seems to be the way the game is played in the NFL.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Gb's line and receiving corps was NO BETTER then ours will be this year barring injury.