Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

8 years of cooling???

Who has a link to the research that supports this claim? Again RESEARCH and METHODOLOGY that substantiates this claim not an article written by Rush or the weather channel guy but actual research.

For example, here is a link to a research project that used several methods to conclude that the earth is getting warmer since 1970 and it also provides a plausible reason as to why it appeared to cool from 1940-1970.

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Stu...mperature.html

The research is completed by NASA and cites references as recent as 2007 and it describes three different methodologies used to reach conclusions.

I am curious about this issue and want to find out why the answers are so conflicting. I am not interested in debating Al Gore etc. just does anyone have any real research supporting the claim of global cooling. Again that does not include articles from A.C., Rush, Hannity or any even Al Gore if it is not research based on a methodology clearly stated. Also try to avoid the temptation to carelessly google for an answer to just try to prove a point. I am talking about research on a graduate/professional school level.

Re: 8 years of cooling???

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Who has a link to the research that supports this claim? Again RESEARCH and METHODOLOGY that substantiates this claim not an article written by Rush or the weather channel guy but actual research
    I dont see how you can be so dismissive of "the weather channel guy".

Dr. John "The Weather Channel guy" Coleman HAS done research. Dr. Roy Spencer HAS done research.

But since you asked, the 4 major weather reporting agencies (HadCRUT, RSS, UAH and GISS) have all concluded that over the last 10-12 years, there has been anywhere from a .75 to a full 1 degree drop in the Earth's median temperature (not surprising, the NASA dudes were on the low end of that).

It's all pretty much available on Google is you wanna look it up yourself.

Dr. Spencer's book that is out right now also has the information in his footnotes.

There is also a YouTube movie out by some investigative journalists out of England called "The Great Global Warming Swindle".

Here is an op-ed piece from our friends acorss the pond, written by a geologist at James Cook University, Queensland, engaged in paleoclimate research. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...9/ixworld.html

I have reams of this stuff so if you want more, just ask.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Dr. John "The Weather Channel guy" Coleman HAS done research. Dr. Roy Spencer HAS done research.

But since you asked, the 4 major weather reporting agencies (HadCRUT, RSS, UAH and GISS) have all concluded that over the last 10-12 years, there has been anywhere from a .75 to a full 1 degree drop in the Earth's median temperature (not surprising, the NASA dudes were on the low end of that).

It's all pretty much available on Google is you wanna look it up yourself.

Dr. Spencer's book that is out right now also has the information in his footnotes.

There is also a YouTube movie out by some investigative journalists out of England called "The Great Global Warming Swindle".

Here is an op-ed piece from our friends acorss the pond, written by a geologist at James Cook University, Queensland, engaged in paleoclimate research. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...9/ixworld.html

I have reams of this stuff so if you want more, just ask.
    I am not trying to be dismissive...you say Dr. John has done the research, I would like to read it. I have googled global cooling, warming etc. and not come up with any research on cooling. If you have it, I would like to read it. I am not saying it isn't happening but inevitably threads like this end up with everyone's opinion which is essentially based on their politics. Everyone is so sure about the cooling, I thought they would have information. Yes I would like links to the reams of stuff you have.

The article posted earlier from him was not a research article. I just didn't want another reference to that particualr article. I have heard various criticisms about him. If he has research to back of his claims I would like to read it as well as his methodolgies.

Here is ALL FOUR major weather outlets reports MAJOR cooling int he last 12 months...
    http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm

Here at the bottom, NASA is retracting it's thoguths on global warming...
    http://www.dailytech.com/Solar+Activ...ticle10630.htm

Brittain's Met office confirms 8 cooling since 1998 HERE.
    http://www.climatescienceinternation...id=31&Itemid=1

The problem with all of this on Both sides si that both sides have preconceived notions they are trying to confirm. Brittain's Met OFfice and NASA are two of the ones pushing Global Warming almsot as hard as AL Gore, but their research is cotnradicting that, so they dismiss it as a speed bump...
    Last edited by jonboy79; 07-10-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Galen,

Also, none of these guys are saying the earth is cooling. That is probably why you're having problems finding it. Their thesis is that the earth's temp is in constant flux -- cooling, then warming, then cooling, etc.

If interested here are two links with incredible amounts of references and studies:

http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=40 - appears to be in favor of denying global warmimg

http://www.realclimate.org/ - appears to be in favor of global warming

A blog for rabid football fans might not be the place for these links but maybe I am wrong afterall, I am as rabid as they come for football and am spending too much time at the office reading from these sites.

My personal opinion is that phenomenon of climate change whether it is getting hotter or colder are pretty serious and it is a shame that it is becoming so politicized. I think these sites have plenty of information and not just opinions. If someone identifies themselves as a politician or even interested in politics, I think I will forgo and conclusions they have about climate change

I find it odd when ANYONE thinks that anything but the sun is the main part of the warming and cooling of our planet.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

<SIGH>

The Vikings were farming Greenland shortly after naming it. Nobody would call it Greenland today and there isn't any substantial farming going on.

The earth was much warmer then and it had nothing to do with fossil fuels.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    <SIGH>

The Vikings were farming Greenland shortly after naming it. Nobody would call it Greenland today and there isn't any substantial farming going on.

The earth was much warmer then and it had nothing to do with fossil fuels.
    Wow is that from the Encyclopedia Britianica? What edition? I really need the citation for my research.

Or maybe I am just too drunk...it sounds so ummmm....simple. Kinda cute even. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Wow is that from the Encyclopedia Britianica? What edition? I really need the citation for my research.

Or maybe I am just too drunk...it sounds so ummmm....simple. Kinda cute even. Thanks!
    The argument is quite simple, yet Algore and the others have made it complex and, as you put it, political.

When just ONE volcanic eruption puts more CO2 into the air then the human race has as a whole over the last 10 years, it kinda makes you stop and wonder just what impact, if any, humans have on the atmosphere.

And before you ask, the source for that little nugget is in the webisode I suggested you watch. In it, they will site a ton of studies.

When just ONE volcanic eruption puts more CO2 into the air then the human race has as a whole over the last 10 years, it kinda makes you stop and wonder just what impact, if any, humans have on the atmosphere.
    You might have missed the sarcasm in the comment relating to farming vikings.

The idea of the volcano causing more CO2 release then 10 years of human activity, if true, doesn't, as an argument, demonstrate that humans are either responsible or not responsible for climate change. At the core it is a fallacious argument. The example of the volcano is an "appeal to emotion" that politicians are using to sway opinion. It doesn't mean anything but sounds really good and if you are easily swayed, the proposistion works. If anything an erupting volcano is more likely to create global cooling as was seen in Pompeii since the sunlight is blocked out. Co2 is also not the only concern as far as human-instigated global warming is concerned. I haven't watched the video but Rush has been spouting off about volcanos lately.

A similar but opposing argument would be the release of the report just yesterday that antartica is melting faster than is expected. Sounds good...is scary...creates an emotional response in me but doesn't prove that climate change is caused by human activity. Those easily swayed will jump on board though.

Just trying to keep this thread research based and not emotionally based.