Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    8 years of cooling???



    Who has a link to the research that supports this claim? Again RESEARCH and METHODOLOGY that substantiates this claim not an article written by Rush or the weather channel guy but actual research.

    For example, here is a link to a research project that used several methods to conclude that the earth is getting warmer since 1970 and it also provides a plausible reason as to why it appeared to cool from 1940-1970.

    http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Stu...mperature.html

    The research is completed by NASA and cites references as recent as 2007 and it describes three different methodologies used to reach conclusions.

    I am curious about this issue and want to find out why the answers are so conflicting. I am not interested in debating Al Gore etc. just does anyone have any real research supporting the claim of global cooling. Again that does not include articles from A.C., Rush, Hannity or any even Al Gore if it is not research based on a methodology clearly stated. Also try to avoid the temptation to carelessly google for an answer to just try to prove a point. I am talking about research on a graduate/professional school level.








  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Who has a link to the research that supports this claim? Again RESEARCH and METHODOLOGY that substantiates this claim not an article written by Rush or the weather channel guy but actual research
    I dont see how you can be so dismissive of "the weather channel guy".

    Dr. John "The Weather Channel guy" Coleman HAS done research. Dr. Roy Spencer HAS done research.

    But since you asked, the 4 major weather reporting agencies (HadCRUT, RSS, UAH and GISS) have all concluded that over the last 10-12 years, there has been anywhere from a .75 to a full 1 degree drop in the Earth's median temperature (not surprising, the NASA dudes were on the low end of that).

    It's all pretty much available on Google is you wanna look it up yourself.

    Dr. Spencer's book that is out right now also has the information in his footnotes.

    There is also a YouTube movie out by some investigative journalists out of England called "The Great Global Warming Swindle".

    Here is an op-ed piece from our friends acorss the pond, written by a geologist at James Cook University, Queensland, engaged in paleoclimate research. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...9/ixworld.html

    I have reams of this stuff so if you want more, just ask.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I dont see how you can be so dismissive of "the weather channel guy".

    Dr. John "The Weather Channel guy" Coleman HAS done research. Dr. Roy Spencer HAS done research.

    But since you asked, the 4 major weather reporting agencies (HadCRUT, RSS, UAH and GISS) have all concluded that over the last 10-12 years, there has been anywhere from a .75 to a full 1 degree drop in the Earth's median temperature (not surprising, the NASA dudes were on the low end of that).

    It's all pretty much available on Google is you wanna look it up yourself.

    Dr. Spencer's book that is out right now also has the information in his footnotes.

    There is also a YouTube movie out by some investigative journalists out of England called "The Great Global Warming Swindle".

    Here is an op-ed piece from our friends acorss the pond, written by a geologist at James Cook University, Queensland, engaged in paleoclimate research. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/m...9/ixworld.html

    I have reams of this stuff so if you want more, just ask.
    I am not trying to be dismissive...you say Dr. John has done the research, I would like to read it. I have googled global cooling, warming etc. and not come up with any research on cooling. If you have it, I would like to read it. I am not saying it isn't happening but inevitably threads like this end up with everyone's opinion which is essentially based on their politics. Everyone is so sure about the cooling, I thought they would have information. Yes I would like links to the reams of stuff you have.








  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I dont see how you can be so dismissive of "the weather channel guy".

    Dr. John "The Weather Channel guy" Coleman HAS done research. Dr. Roy Spencer HAS done research.
    The article posted earlier from him was not a research article. I just didn't want another reference to that particualr article. I have heard various criticisms about him. If he has research to back of his claims I would like to read it as well as his methodolgies.








  5. #5

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Here is ALL FOUR major weather outlets reports MAJOR cooling int he last 12 months...
    http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature...ticle10866.htm

    Here at the bottom, NASA is retracting it's thoguths on global warming...
    http://www.dailytech.com/Solar+Activ...ticle10630.htm

    Brittain's Met office confirms 8 cooling since 1998 HERE.
    http://www.climatescienceinternation...id=31&Itemid=1


    The problem with all of this on Both sides si that both sides have preconceived notions they are trying to confirm. Brittain's Met OFfice and NASA are two of the ones pushing Global Warming almsot as hard as AL Gore, but their research is cotnradicting that, so they dismiss it as a speed bump...
    Last edited by jonboy79; 07-10-2008 at 03:50 PM.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Galen,

    Also, none of these guys are saying the earth is cooling. That is probably why you're having problems finding it. Their thesis is that the earth's temp is in constant flux -- cooling, then warming, then cooling, etc.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    If interested here are two links with incredible amounts of references and studies:

    http://www.climateaudit.org/?cat=40 - appears to be in favor of denying global warmimg

    http://www.realclimate.org/ - appears to be in favor of global warming

    A blog for rabid football fans might not be the place for these links but maybe I am wrong afterall, I am as rabid as they come for football and am spending too much time at the office reading from these sites.

    My personal opinion is that phenomenon of climate change whether it is getting hotter or colder are pretty serious and it is a shame that it is becoming so politicized. I think these sites have plenty of information and not just opinions. If someone identifies themselves as a politician or even interested in politics, I think I will forgo and conclusions they have about climate change








  8. #8

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    I find it odd when ANYONE thinks that anything but the sun is the main part of the warming and cooling of our planet.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates
    Posts
    4,490

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    <SIGH>

    The Vikings were farming Greenland shortly after naming it. Nobody would call it Greenland today and there isn't any substantial farming going on.

    The earth was much warmer then and it had nothing to do with fossil fuels.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    <SIGH>

    The Vikings were farming Greenland shortly after naming it. Nobody would call it Greenland today and there isn't any substantial farming going on.

    The earth was much warmer then and it had nothing to do with fossil fuels.
    Wow is that from the Encyclopedia Britianica? What edition? I really need the citation for my research.

    Or maybe I am just too drunk...it sounds so ummmm....simple. Kinda cute even. Thanks!








  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Wow is that from the Encyclopedia Britianica? What edition? I really need the citation for my research.

    Or maybe I am just too drunk...it sounds so ummmm....simple. Kinda cute even. Thanks!
    The argument is quite simple, yet Algore and the others have made it complex and, as you put it, political.

    When just ONE volcanic eruption puts more CO2 into the air then the human race has as a whole over the last 10 years, it kinda makes you stop and wonder just what impact, if any, humans have on the atmosphere.

    And before you ask, the source for that little nugget is in the webisode I suggested you watch. In it, they will site a ton of studies.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    When just ONE volcanic eruption puts more CO2 into the air then the human race has as a whole over the last 10 years, it kinda makes you stop and wonder just what impact, if any, humans have on the atmosphere.
    You might have missed the sarcasm in the comment relating to farming vikings.

    The idea of the volcano causing more CO2 release then 10 years of human activity, if true, doesn't, as an argument, demonstrate that humans are either responsible or not responsible for climate change. At the core it is a fallacious argument. The example of the volcano is an "appeal to emotion" that politicians are using to sway opinion. It doesn't mean anything but sounds really good and if you are easily swayed, the proposistion works. If anything an erupting volcano is more likely to create global cooling as was seen in Pompeii since the sunlight is blocked out. Co2 is also not the only concern as far as human-instigated global warming is concerned. I haven't watched the video but Rush has been spouting off about volcanos lately.

    A similar but opposing argument would be the release of the report just yesterday that antartica is melting faster than is expected. Sounds good...is scary...creates an emotional response in me but doesn't prove that climate change is caused by human activity. Those easily swayed will jump on board though.

    Just trying to keep this thread research based and not emotionally based.








  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    You might have missed the sarcasm in the comment relating to farming vikings.

    The idea of the volcano causing more CO2 release then 10 years of human activity, if true, doesn't, as an argument, demonstrate that humans are either responsible or not responsible for climate change. At the core it is a fallacious argument. The example of the volcano is an "appeal to emotion" that politicians are using to sway opinion. It doesn't mean anything but sounds really good and if you are easily swayed, the proposistion works. If anything an erupting volcano is more likely to create global cooling as was seen in Pompeii since the sunlight is blocked out. Co2 is also not the only concern as far as human-instigated global warming is concerned. I haven't watched the video but Rush has been spouting off about volcanos lately.

    A similar but opposing argument would be the release of the report just yesterday that antartica is melting faster than is expected. Sounds good...is scary...creates an emotional response in me but doesn't prove that climate change is caused by human activity. Those easily swayed will jump on board though.

    Just trying to keep this thread research based and not emotionally based.
    How is any of that volcano argument emotional?

    Al Gore and his ilk make the claim that increased CO2 output by humans is causing global warming.

    If you view the webisode I mentioned and read Roy Spencer's research, as well as research from the USGS, they all document the levels of CO2 volcanos pump into the atmosphere. Man's contribution to CO2 output is something like .00001% -- a spit in the ocean.

    When I am done polluting my brain with Grand Marnier this weekend, I will send out what I have.

    Meanwhile, here is Dr. Spencer's site. In it, he links to a bunch of studies:

    http://www.weatherquestions.com/Roy-...al-warming.htm
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Galen,

    While asking me to be non-biased, you go right ahead and do the same -- and throw that dubious "linked" term around again.

    I stand by my facts. Yes, those scientists spoke to conservative groups. They also spoke with liberal ones. They also teach at some pretty liberal schools. Spencer, in his book, talk about the money claims. He denies ever receiving a dime from any oil interest and not one person as ever been able to refute his climate models -- which is why people on the left like you attack the person, not the facts.

    And what about the 5 other links I gave you? -- MIT professors, Harvard professors, 37000 other PhD's and researchers who all think man contribution ot global warming is nothing?

    Well, I guess they are all stock holder in Halliburton.

    Union of Concerned Scientists is uber left. While demanding less bias, you give a biased site as your "reference" at the same time ignoring the 5 down-the-middle (and sometimes left leaning) sites I gave you.

    An the fact that all these people on the left focus on Exxon tells me this is a bumper-sticker cause that has no basis of fact. Around the world, Exxon is the Natty Boh of the oil industry. Their profits are nothing compared to Shell and BP. The left's frenzy with them is nothing more then emotional. Next time you're in Rio, ask the locals what they think of Shell and BP -- I guarantee you wont find a soul who complains given the level of forrestation they contribute.

    Liberal projection is so easy to spot.

    Our friends across the pond had this little gem a couple of months ago. I guess the UK Telegraph is owned by Ruppert Murdoch or the like ...

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-warming.html

    More to follow when I get to work ....
    Last edited by HoustonRaven; 07-14-2008 at 09:09 AM.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tenuous
    Posts
    4,920

    Re: 8 years of cooling???

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Galen,

    Spencer, in his book, talk about the money claims. He denies ever receiving a dime from any oil interest and not one person as ever been able to refute his climate models -- which is why people on the left like you attack the person, not the facts.
    I am not attacking him, I am pointing out that I am wary of his findings because he sits on a board of directors of an organization that just a couple years ago received $95,000 from Exxon. Of course he has not received money from Exxon...as in the check was not written out to him directly but Exxon, itself, documents the money going to TechCentral where he served. For my research, that is close enough for me to be wary...maybe not for you but for me...for sure.

    As far as no one refutning his models that also isn't true...your hero concedes his own errors:

    "The scientists who developed the original troposphere temperature records from satellite data, John R. Christy and Roy W. Spencer of the University of Alabama in Huntsville, conceded yesterday that they had made a mistake but said that their revised calculations still produced a warming rate too small to be a concern." http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/12/sc...erland&emc=rss

    This is significant to the idea of actual global cooling in the past 8 years. In the past 8 years the level of warming has slowed down a bit but there is no evidence I have seen about actual cooling. Arguments from NASA point to global warming deniers using the data of the decreased warming trend to begin shifting the perspective to the temperature actually cooling. This is a classic "slippery slope" fallacy. Now you can present the argument that the warming has slowed which NASA believes is in relation to sunspots but to say there is actual cooling...you have yet to impress.


    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And what about the 5 other links I gave you? -- MIT professors, Harvard professors, 37000 other PhD's and researchers who all think man contribution ot global warming is nothing?
    First of all for the 10th time, these didn't show research. They are opinions. I can google just like you and come up with a million opinions...they don't mean anything. The only research I have come upon that was serious was NASA's and they show their research design and their methodolgy by which they came to their conclusions that in the past 8 years, the earth is warming.

    Secondly, this thread was asking for someone to point me to research that demonstrates global cooling and basically I have seen nothing any more convincing then a Rush Limbaugh quote. I will put as much credenceinto that as I will the work done by Al Gore. If you want to debate whether humans are responsible for the global warming, I think that would be pretty hard to do. Just trying to figure out if it is actually warming has been difficult.

    HR- I have spent 10 years in college. 4 on undergrad an 6 in grad programs completing 2 graduate degrees in a research based field. I have taken numerous classes in research design and completed an array of research projects. An op-ed piece isn't going to convince me that the earth is cooling. Neither is a guy that is in anyway sponsored through oil money.

    I am open to the idea that it is cooling because basically that would be good news. I am all for the earth being healthy and me being able to live on the earth for as long as I can. So in a way, I am biased to global cooling if anything but there just isn't any real research demonstrating that. I think we should all put politics to the side and try our best to figure this out. It is our civic duty. Read the opening to this thread again as I think your desire to prove the "liberal" crazy has taken you off task.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Well, I guess they are all stock holder in Halliburton.
    no that would be your v.p.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Union of Concerned Scientists is uber left. While demanding less bias, you give a biased site as your "reference" at the same time ignoring the 5 down-the-middle (and sometimes left leaning) sites I gave you.
    Everybody is going to lean one way or another that is hard to get around. I only call out those who are financially sponsored by a company such as oil that has a stake in either global warming or cooling. The 5 down-the-middle didn't say anything but an opinion...again research man??? You don't understand that do you?




    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Liberal projection is so easy to spot.
    especially when that is what you are really looking for here and not the reason for the thread. I get it dude...you are conservative and see anyone that is progressive as a pariah...somehow naive to the workings of the world. I have no real desire to confront that part of you or in any other progressive-bashing conservative. Instead I would rather you present your reason for thinking the earth is cooling.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Our friends across the pond had this little gem a couple of months ago. I guess the UK Telegraph is owned by Ruppert Murdoch or the like ...

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-warming.html
    And what does that prove HR??? That you are vulnerable to opinion? That article actually reports that there are those who believe it is a problem and those who don't.

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    More to follow when I get to work ....
    Seriously...with all due respect, if you can't come up with something similar in structure to the NASA research which through a standard research design, demonstrating global cooling, you are wasting your time.








Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland