Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who's the best coach in the AFC, and why?

Who is the best coach in the AFC, and why?

Re: Who's the best coach in the AFC, and why?

Bill Belichick. Three superbowl rings with the Pats (and another with Parcell's Giants) and nobody does more with less. His WRs are trash, but more important on D he has maybe 1 or 2 guys that could start for this team, yet he still gets similar results.

You rarely see him outcoached on gameday and his teams are always well disciplined.

ABSOLUTELY, Bill Bellichik is the Premier coach in probably All of football for the reasons cited above, and then some.

You can't argue with 3 SB rings in this millenium's NFL. Belechick is the best in the game. To add, he has lost staff (Weiss and his DC) and the team still is competitive (9-3).

Now, if you ask me who is the best HC in the AFC for this season, I have to say Brian Billick.

1. Brian was undressed in the media by his boss.
    2. Brian re-staffed much of his coaching staff.
    3. Brian had to fire his best friend as OC after a 4-2 start and major issues with the players and Fassel. That was a defining moment in this season.
    4. Brian took a huge risk in running the offense as OC. He also showed a lot of balls to take the helm and say that he'd either win or go down with the ship. (Not his words, but my interpretation of what Billick did).

As a result, he won his players back and the team is now 9-3 and can control its own destiny.

I can't say that I am a huge Billick fan, but you have to give credit where credit is due. Billick is doing the best coaching right now in the AFC.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

"1. Brian was undressed in the media by his boss."

I must have missed that broadcast. But OUCH...that was definitely an image I really didn't need floating around in my head. (especially with the big KC game coming up)

:bag:

GO RAVENS!!!!

Actually, maybe the biggest thing in Billick's favor -- in addition to what's already been stated -- is his insistence that Jamal Lewis wasn't totally washed up, despite a LOT of heat to bench Jamal in favor of Musa and Mike. I think if the Ravens go deep into the playoffs, the "Jamal" factor alone might qualify Billck for coach of the year.

GO RAVENS!!!

Bellichick is the man, stained hoody and all...

But I wouldn't trade Lord Billick for any other coach around.

Me neither, I love his arrogance and his willingness to draw attention away from his players and on to him

Billick, like everyone else, has strengths and weaknesses that impact his coaching style. When it comes to being a "player's coach" I think he's near the top, but, by definition, he's near the bottom when it comes to being a disciplinarian. When it comes to being able to push a player's buttons, I think he's one of the best -- at times. However, I also think he lives in a "world according to Billick" that incorporates such a degree of denial that it defies not only logic, but winning also, at times.

For example, his loyalty to his players is legendary. And there are clearly benefits to that. But there are also drawbacks as well. It's taken Jamal Lewis at least 8 games -- half the season -- to really even begin to look like a top tier running back. And given how much our offense depends upon the run, that's a lot to sacrifice. I think Billick's loyalty to JL translated to Musa Smith and Mike Anderson being under-utilized this season. And I believe, at times, it has hurt the team.

Billick is also among the world's worst clock managers of all time. I simply do not know how someone at that level can be so completely inept at managing the clock when games are on the line.

If you're gonna play the "lost his coaches" card in regard to Bellichick, how about Billick? Do you realize how many HC's he has produced? Marvin, Nolan, Del Rio, and now Rex Ryan? God, then what?

If you're gonna play the "lost his coaches" card in regard to Bellichick, how about Billick? Do you realize how many HC's he has produced? Marvin, Nolan, Del Rio, and now Rex Ryan? God, then what?
    You're jumping the gun a little bit on Rex Ryan, but I think that's an excellent point. Marvin, Nolan and Del Rio have already gone on to head coaching jobs, Ryan just might follow them, and even Singletary may eventually join them (although you could argue that he wasn't here long enough to belong to the Billick tree). But the point is that Billick has lost a lot of coaches to promotions, and is still winning, just like that guy in New England who looks like he's living out of a cardboard box.

Billick is certainly in the top 10 and if he wins a ring this year he'll be one of the greatest.
    One of the greatest ever? Come on now, Billick is a very good coach, but he is certainly no where near one of the greatest. When you think of some of the greatest, you hear the names like Vince Lombardi. No way will Billick ever be in his league.