Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ravens All-Charmin Team

I received an email from a site visitor asking my opinion on who I thought were the Top 5 toughest Ravens. For the record (and I blogged about this today) my toughest along with Honorable Mentions...

1. Ray Lewis ~ How could he not be?
    2. Peter Boulware ~ Played one season with his arm in a sling and still was a Pro Bowler
    3. Michael McCrary ~ Never said, “Die.”
    4. Gary Stills ~ Ask any Ravens’ player…
    5. Kelly Gregg ~ See above

Honorable mention: Sam Gash, Kyle Boller, Eric Turner, James Trapp, Adalius Thomas, Corey Ivy, Ed Reed, Bart Scott, Jarret Johnson, Chad Williams

The question however begged for (at least for me) a list including the softest Ravens of all-time which I've dubbed the All-Charmin Team. They include in my opinion:

1. Clarence Moore ~ T-Rex, Alligator Arms and other anatomical descriptions come to mind
    2. Elvis Grbac ~ There’s no crying in football!
    3. DeRon Jenkins ~ Melba Toast for denture wearers
    4. David Pittman ~ All too happy to sit on the sidelines
    5. Chris Chester ~ Apparent lack of motivation has him on the brim of BUST-dom.

Here's where I invite you to share your thoughts....

Pool is open...ADULT SWIM!!!

Re: Ravens All-Charmin Team

One omission is bothering me .....

The Goose?!?!?!??! Come one, that's a no-brainer.

I'd definately put JO on the tough team.

On Soft, I'd put Duane Starks there too.

I'd definately put JO on the tough team.

On Soft, I'd put Duane Starks there too.
    Keeping in mind that these are only personal opinions and this should all add up to friendly debate, I have never viewed JO as one of the toughest Ravens. He's a brilliant athlete who IMO is best described as a masterful technician, particularly at his size.

I would argue that pound for pound Duane Starks was a very good tackler and more willing to support the run than Samari Rolle in his prime.

As for Goose, I admired the spirit that he brought to the team but again IMO he may be one of the more overrated Ravens ever.

I agree the Goose should be on there as well as Ogden. As far as all-charmin, definitely need to add Travis Taylor

All-soft

1. Jay Graham
    2. Elvis Goback where ever you came from
    3. Steve Everitt-always consider him a punk for wearing the clowns bandana under his helmet.
    4. Ralph Staten
    5. Leon Searcy
    FIRE IN THE HOLE!!!!

Blog Entries

He wasn't here long, and kinda beat up from some years, but do we consider an honorable mention for Chuck Evans? He didn't look the slightest bit soft to me in '99.

soft-
    Jamal. At least in the lungs.

tough-
    Stover. Never afraid to make a tackle in the rare cases where he is needed.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

Tough -
    Corey Ivey
    Must have been an oversight he wasn't on your list, TL. He has "reckless lunatic" written all over him.

Soft -
    Travis Taylor
    Again, must have been an oversight he wasn't on the list.

:2c:

Not sure how Siragusa or Ogden get on either list, really.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Where have I gone wrong?

My vision of Goose are playing that Jacksonville game with blood all over his pants ... or planting Rich Gannon into the ground .... or the umpteen numberof fights he would instigate ......

Can someone explain my off thinking on this one?

I can't believe I'm saying this but Travis Taylor doesn't deserve to be on the pansy list. He had terrible hands and is a flat out terrible receiver that much is true. He would also go over the middle, take a hit to get his hands on the ball (the whole actually catching it was at best 50-50) and broke a few tackles.

Dilfer should be on the tough team. That pass against Oakland in the AFC Championship game was vintage Dilfer.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Where have I gone wrong?

My vision of Goose are playing that Jacksonville game with blood all over his pants ... or planting Rich Gannon into the ground .... or the umpteen numberof fights he would instigate ......

Can someone explain my off thinking on this one?
    Well, is this what you want to see from a 'tough' starter?

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    5. Who were the Ravens base 4 defensive lineman in order of % of snaps played during the regular season?
    --Answer: McCrary (87.2%), Burnett (86.8%), Adams (63.5%), Siragusa (51.9%).
    Percent of plays aside, though. . .

You could have chopped McCrary's legs off at the knees and he would hobble on stumps after the quarterback. I remember OTs practically laying on the guy to keep him from moving anymore. I remember on a QB kneel he rushed the QB *anyway*. The only guy on the defense to budge, he ran right into a tackle and a guard. He did not care, like the Terminator, "He will NOT STOP until you are DEAD!" That was McCrary. Not Goose.

Goose was fantastic for his role, great size, good technique, great guy to have around. But "tough" like McCrary, Lewis (push ups on a dislocated shoulder) or Boulware (entire season with an arm in a sling)? Nah. Again, :2c:

edit: Darb, you could be right about TT. It's hard for me to think about him clearly, without getting pissed on principle.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.