Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

All Time NFL QBs: The Worst Edition (Boller is #1 for the Ravens and 13th overall!)

I found this a really interesting article that used statistical data to prove who were the worst QBs of all time. Before anyone wonders how Joey Harrington claimed 1st and how Boller could possibly be 13th overall worst and #1 for the Ravens here is how:

There you have it — no QB has performed so far below the league average for so long as Joey Harrington. To be clear, Joey Harrington probably isn’t the worst quarterback of all time in an absolute sense. But in terms of being so far below average, but far enough above miserable to earn more playing time, Joey Harrington hurt his team more than any other QB in NFL history. If Harrington had been worse, he would have played less, and he wouldn’t have set back the teams he played on. To put it another way, if you had the choice of getting Joey Harrington for 2,538 attempts, or Roger Goodell for 9 attempts you would certainly choose Goodell. At least after he’s gone, your team has a chance.

Read through the article because if you take sack data in mind as well it does change the results a bit, to something that would probably be less controversial. Regardless, I thought this was an interesting statistical analysis.

Link: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=545

Re: All Time NFL QBs: The Worst Edition (Boller is #1 for the Ravens and 13th overall!)

But top picks now, more than ever, are given multiple chances to succeed. And when they’re bad, that means many, many chances to fail.
    And that's why we still have people saying that Boller is our best option or that he is the best of the bottom 8 teams. Get real, he sucks.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Blog Entries

Re: All Time NFL QBs: The Worst Edition (Boller is #1 for the Ravens and 13th overall!)

Interesting, I'll be thinking about things along these lines for a while.

I expected to see Aaron Brooks http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronbroo...e?id=BRO114367
    on the list, I guess he was better than I gave him credit for, but IMHO he had the worst pocket awareness I can remember seeing. Teams seemed to give their sack totals a nice boost when he was playing without pointing a big finger at an o-line, he just didn't seem to know/feel which way to step.

Off topic, but got me thinking about the best QB tandems (probably not going to happen much with FA & Cap anymore) but Unitas/Morrell??? They were better than Jurgenssen/Kilmer :)

This sums up my thoughts on which is the best list on the page...

"Any list where Kim McQuilken ranks as the worst QB of all time sounds okay to me. From 1974 to 1976, McQuilken threw 3 TDs against 28 interceptions, and lost over 300 yards in sacks against just 261 attempts. McQuilken, for the three year span, averaged -1.63 net adjusted yards per pass attempt. Those Falcons teams would have been better off if he ran a QB sneak each play."

The top coupel of lists that HEAVILY weigh on longevity seems almost a misnomer... If said player was really that bad they wouldn't get so many chances. Despite beign a highly valued #1 pick, if Boller was /\ that bad, he wouldn't have had nearly the chances he did.

The main heading of the article should be abotu top BUSTS...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    The main heading of the article should be abotu top BUSTS...
    No, I think that's a different topic completely. Top busts are more guys like Ryan Leaf and such...guys that you gave up a ton to get, and sucked so badly that they washed out and you got absolutely nothing for them.

I think worst QBs are more appropriate, although having to caveat that with something further. "Worst QBs of those with reasonable playing time" maybe? The problem is, it's a soft variable situation...I don't know if there's a hard cut on anything, and that makes it tougher to name appropriately.

- C -

I'm a huge Ozzie fan but I'm still trying to figure out how Boller got a one year extension.

What's really sad is if you take Bollers career stats, which is what they were doing, and compare them to the rest of the Raven's QBs under Billick, they're the same.

Sort of makes you wonder how many SuperBowls they could've won with any sort of offense.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Funny, I knew he was among the worst QBs of all time for a long time. How many of you are just figuring this out?

Anyone want to admit they're wrong?

I can't believe I'm the first in the thread to point out that, three spots below Boller, you will find Trent Dilfer.

At least as far as the Ravens are concerned, the nice guys finished last.

Really interesting post, Greenwave. Good find.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Noone else has played enough... This is HIGHLY based on total snaps...

Two words DICK WOOD. Hell never even heard of him till this article.

Sack data removed boller disappears from the list

ozzie gave him an extension because he wanted to a qb with experience in the nfl to be available

would you have rather have entered the draft with smith as the de facto starter and extreme pressure to draft a qb or even 2