Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So you think you know the 2000 Ravens defense?--Answers Added

I've completed my participation-by-play compilation of the 2000 Ravens season. I thought it might be fun to have a little quiz and take a stroll down memory lane. Post your answers here. I'm going to warn you ahead of time that these are questions you won't easily be able to answer from a media guide. I'm going to wait about a week and post the answers.

1. Which Raven played the highest percentage of defensive snaps for the regular season?
    --Answer: Kim Herring who played 897 of the team's 906 "real" snaps (99.0%). Lewis played every meaningful snap, but was pulled for the last series of the Cincy game and the last 3 series of the Cleveland game (both home). He still finished 2nd on the team at 98.3%

2. What Raven led the team in YPC when on the field (minimum 250 defensive snaps)?
    --Answer: Tony Siragusa with 2.3 YPC compared to 2.8 on all the real team plays (excludes kneels). Adams was 2nd at 2.6 YPC.

3. What Raven led the team in Yards Per Pass play (YPP) when on the field (again, minimum 250 defensive snaps)?
    --Answer: Keith Washington with 3.8 YPP. That was 1 full yard better than the next (Tony Siragusa at 4.8 YPP). The answers to 2 and 3 both surprised me since I thought Adams had been more effective.

4. Which Raven regular played 92.6% of post-season defensive snaps after playing just 70.2% during the regular season?
    --Answer: Peter Boulware. This astounded me, but if I were to sum up my understanding of the 2000 defense prior to the project I would have said they played the base 4-3-4 in just about any circumstance. That was true in the playoffs, but during the regular season, Lewis actually used many different packages and gave Boulware more rest in favor of Cornell Brown.

5. Who were the Ravens base 4 defensive lineman in order of % of snaps played during the regular season?
    --Answer: McCrary (87.2%), Burnett (86.8%), Adams (63.5%), Siragusa (51.9%). In my mind you got the question right if you had the 1st 2 in either order with Adams and Siragusa in the correct order thereafter. My guess would have been that Burnett played more since he was used as the 3rd down slant nose when the Ravens moved Boulware to DE opposite McCrary. Adams, who played a good percentage of snaps for a DT, was equally effective to the team as a whole, but no better. Of course when you are the equal of the greatest defense of all time, you should go to the PB as he and Lewis did.

6. Which 4 (!) Ravens played more defensive snaps in the post season than in the regular season? (sorry, no credit for less than all 4 correct on this one)
    --Answer: Absolutely stunning to me, but Thomas (8 plays regular season, 10 plays post-season), Webster (65/70), Jackson (12/15), and Mitchell (0/26) had more playing time in the post season. Webster actually moved ahead of Dalton on the post-season depth chart. Webster's 3.0 YPPA for the Reg+Post season led all Ravens with 30 or more snaps (he had 135). Mitchell saw time as the dime back when Herring was injured and was on the field for both of the big plays at Tennessee. He ran back Washington's blocked FG and was also playing safety as Ray ran back his pick for the game-sealing score.

7. What Raven defender was the true forgotten man of the 2000 post season, playing just a single (non-penalty) snap after being on the field for 163 during the regular season?
    --Answer: Cornell Brown. I don't recall it being said publicly, but Cornell must have been in Lewis' doghouse, because he played well during the regular season (1.8 YPC, 3.3 YPPA) in limited duty. Against Denver, he didn't play a single snap. Against Tennessee, he came in for the 7th and 8th plays of the Titans' first drive and was flagged for offsides on the latter. He did not play again that game and was inactive for the AFC Championship (Thomas essentially took his spot). Finally, Brown was active for SB XXXV, but entered the game for just 1 play and was promptly flagged for defensive holding. He didn't make the most of his opportunities, but I'd like to know what was behind the limited playing time.

8. Ryan's 2007 Ravens defense employed a 7 DB set exactly 0 times. How many times did the 2000 team line up with 7 DB's?
    --OK, this amazed me as well, but the 2000 Ravens lined up with 7 DB's an 55 times in the regular season plus another 7 times in the post season. This was not something they resorted to only at the end of lopsided games, either. It was a fairly regular 3rd and long defense. Most commonly Boulware, Burnett, and McCrary were on the line with Ray in the middle and James Trapp dancing around the gaps along the LoS. Trapp would sometimes blitz and sometimes drop to coverage. The strategy was very effective as the Ravens registered 4 sacks and 9 turnovers on those 62 plays. If you still have the Jax 9/10 replay on your DVR, the Ravens used 7 DB's 7 times in that game.

9. During the regular season, which DB's were used most frequently in the Ravens Nickel and dime packages?
    --Answer: The 4 basic defensive backs were McAlister, Starks, Herring, and Woodson. In the nickel, the Ravens most frequently used James Trapp to cover the slot receiver. For whatever reason, Trapp was typically not used in dime coverages, where Bailey covered the slot and Harris set up next to Ray Lewis. Trapp was also the replacement for outside coverage when either McAlister or Starks was injured. I've never known a team that would use 2 different players to cover the slot, but I'm sure Marvin had his reasons.
    Last edited by Filmstudy; 06-22-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Answers Added

Re: So you think you know the 2000 Ravens defense?

1. Michael McCrary

2. No idea, at a guess whichever LB came out for nickel sets as they'd avoid the big passing plays in obvious passing situations.

3. At a guess Tony Siragusa, big run stuffer coming out in a fair few obvious passing situations.

4. At a guess either Boulware or Sharper? Did we switch around which LB was in the nickel sets? Or did Boulware line up at DRE a lot and Sharper stay in at LB?

5. McCrary, Burnett, Adams, Sirgusa,

6. James Trapp, Larry Webster, Robert Bailey, Jamie Sharper

7. Anthony Poindexter

8. Zero

9. James Trapp and Robert Bailey

Some cracking questions in there, can't even guess at some of them.

Glad the gamebooks came in useful for you.
    Last edited by UKRavenStockers; 06-19-2008 at 09:37 AM.

Well Great Questions, however I can sum up the list with one answer.

It Does Not Matter We WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!

LOL

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ravenfever_com View Post
    Well Great Questions, however I can sum up the list with one answer.

It Does Not Matter We WON THE SUPER BOWL!!!!!

LOL
    Hah hah! That's pretty funny! You sure took something that looks like it is interesting, and took a lot of work, and belittled it like it was stupid! I don't know who that guy "Filmstudy" thinks he is, but he must feel silly now!

:brickwall:

"L-O-L"!!
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post

Glad the gamebooks came in useful for you.
    Thanks again for those Gamebooks, Stockers. Without them, I would guess the project might have taken roughly a year if not more. With them, it became a very intensive (and fun) 3-month project to record every play plus notes.

I'm fully aware that this sort of analysis is not for everyone, but what fascinated me about this was how much my own concept of the 2000 defense differred from reality. I asked the questions I did, because each of these revealed something I recalled differently.

First of all, Filmstudy, this is ridiculously hard. But I'm not afraid of acting ignorant in public, so, second of all, I'll give it a shot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmstudy View Post
    1. Which Raven played the highest percentage of defensive snaps for the regular season?
    I'll go with Chris McAlister.

2. What Raven led the team in YPC when on the field (minimum 250 defensive snaps)?
    Sam Adams

3. What Raven led the team in Yards Per Pass play (YPP) when on the field (again, minimum 250 defensive snaps)?
    Ray Lewis

4. Which Raven regular played 92.6% of post-season defensive snaps after playing just 70.2% during the regular season?
    Kim Herring? Shot in the dark. Lord I hope he was on the team in 2000.

5. Who were the Ravens base 4 defensive lineman in order of % of snaps played during the regular season?
    Sam Adams, Michael McCrary, Rob Burnett, Tony Siragusa

6. Which 4 (!) Ravens played more defensive snaps in the post season than in the regular season? (sorry, no credit for less than all 4 correct on this one)
    Oh lord, no idea. Here goes: Keith Washington, Larry Webster, Robert Bailey, Corey Harris

I'll edit in the remainder later. . . [done]

7. What Raven defender was the true forgotten man of the 2000 post season, playing just a single (non-penalty) snap after being on the field for 163 during the regular season?
    James Trapp

8. Ryan's 2007 Ravens defense employed a 7 DB set exactly 0 times. How many times did the 2000 team line up with 7 DB's?
    Zero.

9. During the regular season, which DB's were used most frequently in the Ravens Nickel and dime packages?
    McAlister/Starks/Woodson/Harris/Herring/Trapp
    Last edited by festivus; 06-19-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Can't wait to hear your overall summary of the 2000 unit Filmstudy!

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

McAlister

Adams

Ray

McCrary

Burnett, Adams, Goose, McCrary

Keith Washington, Lionel Dalton, Adalius Thomas, Cornell Brown

Larry Webster

Bailey, Mitchell

Blog Entries

Interesting... and I'm not able to really any of them :o

All I can say is that my impression was that I was seeing Goose on the sidelines an awful lot. He was a beast in there, but my gut feeling is that his reputation and ability would have me thinking that he ought to have played a lot, but my memory is saying he may not even be 4th... so I'd put Dalton ahead of him.... I'd hesitate to put him (Dalton) ahead of Adams (who made the ProBowl), but I'd be tempted....

Larry Webster only played 5 games, but I sure can't remember which ones.
    Brad Jackson I think was only special teams... If someone got dinged, Cornell Brown was the alternate if memory serves me.
    OJ Brigance?? I also can't remember seeing him other than special teams, especially in the post season.

But you have got me walking on memory lane :)
    Last edited by Rxdoxx; 06-19-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Answers Added