OT: nod to Kevin Garnett

The Celtics absolutely made the Lakers look like the junior varsity team last night.

I don't normally care about basketball, and I don't care about it today, but I *do* like to see players with a sense of tradition, and class:
    Garnett dropped to the parquet and kissed the leprechaun at center court, then found Hall of Famer Bill Russell for a long hug.

"I got my own. I got my own," Garnett said. "I hope we made you proud."

"You sure did," Russell said.
    Clipped from the Sun article. So often we force our fan's mindset onto the players, demanding all sorts of things it's unreasonable to expect from paid professionals. I give a tip of the metaphoric hat to KG, for making this fine gesture to the legends of yesterday, and the intangible thing that is team.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

2. Re: OT: nod to Kevin Garnett

Good to see a good guy(s) win it all for a change ain't it? They humiliated the Lakers. The Lakers literally quit in the 3rd QTR. Absolutely embarrassing.

I love basketball but the NBA is a farce IMO. But that is a debate for another thread.

Re: OT: nod to Kevin Garnett

I agree, these Celtics deserved to win. They played the game like it was supposed to be played... Hard, tough, fast and AS A TEAM.

That was a great and unsurprising symbol from Garnett. I only say unsurprising, because of the source. The whole team appreciates what they have and are.

The NBA is sort of a farce, btu I don't really know how to fix it, except to start enforcing all the rules on the books(travelling, palming, and carrying).

Boston Fans are just hopping Bell Belichick was not in the arena with a camcorder.

Sorry had to say it.

"It is not how you play the game that matters... It is Winning The Super Bowl that counts"... Rumor Ray

Baltimore Has 10 Pro Football Championships!
    Baltimore Colts [NFL] in 1958, 1959, 1968, and 1970
    Baltimore Stars [USFL] in 1985
    Baltimore Stallions [CFL] in 1995
    Baltimore Ravens [NFL] in 2000 and 2012
    Baltimore Mariners [AIFA] in 2010
    Baltimore Mariners [AIF] in 2014

Blog Entries

One thing that I noticed, that I don't really remember seeing happening in the pros....
    Somewhere in the middle of the game, when Boston was nicely stretching the lead out, Garnett ran back on D and in a semi-crouch at the foul line, facing out, he slapped the floor with his hands.
    I've seen that in college, usually means a determination to dig in, play defense and get a stop.
    But in the pros? and at that point of the game?
    Told me he wasn't letting up, there wasn't going to be an easy come-back, this time they would hold the lead.

I think we all know that defense wins championships, scoring helps get you there... and both Paul and KG showed me a level that I haven't seen in a talented player in a number of years. Yeah, there are the Bowens, but I'm talking about the offensive talent that also reaches that level of D.
    Any one that comes to my mind is retired ... Pierce's O dropped some from the expendature on D, but KG maintained both ends.
    Definitely a tip of the hat to KG, he wasn't much behind Russell with that show, and I think they both knew it in that hug.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx
    Told me he wasn't letting up, there wasn't going to be an easy come-back, this time they would hold the lead.
    I didn't actually see that but I think you're exactly right, based on comments KG made on Letterman the other night. They remembered how the Lakers cut their big lead down in game two, and decided this time that they weren't going to let their foot off the gas pedal.

I wasn't surprised that Boston won game six, but I was astounded at what a beatdown that was. I didn't even watch the second half, but I'm guessing the Lakers laid down like lazy dogs those last two quarters. There's no way a team that makes it to the finals should get blown out by 39. That would be an embarrassing regular season loss -- to have it happen in the finals is ridiculous.

I'm happy for KG and especially for Doc Rivers, who almost got run out of Boston last year, but I think I'm happier about the Lakers losing then I am about the Celtics winning. I've had quite enough of the "Kobe is the new Jordan" and "Phil Jackson is a genius" talk.

The Celtics just wanted it more. Congrats to KG for achieving his ultimate goal. He went through a lot of rough times in Minnesota. He never complained or asked to be traded. Very classy of him to thank all those that supported him in Minnesota.

Kobe Bryant may not be MJ, but he is one of the best to ever play the game. It looked like he was the only one that showed up for the finals. Odom and Gasol were absolute trash. Also Sash Vujacic has no business being on an NBA roster.

Quote Originally Posted by TTRaven View Post
    The Celtics just wanted it more. Congrats to KG for achieving his ultimate goal. He went through a lot of rough times in Minnesota. He never complained or asked to be traded. Very classy of him to thank all those that supported him in Minnesota.

Kobe Bryant may not be MJ, but he is one of the best to ever play the game. It looked like he was the only one that showed up for the finals. Odom and Gasol were absolute trash. Also Sash Vujacic has no business being on an NBA roster.
    I dont think it was that the Celtics wanted it more, plain and simple the better team won. The Lakers were just flat out overmatched.

9. Re: OT: nod to Kevin Garnett

Defense still wins championships and the Celtics played it. The Lakers were S-O-F-T the entire playoffs which again says something about the wide open run and gun style of the West. It can be exciting but if you can't defend you won't win big games.
    Anytime the players to today can acknowledge those that came before them it is special. Simply because so many players today have no idea or sense of history.
    Garnett, Allen, and Pierce played with passion and fire. The role players were solid as well.
    Kobe Bryant is a fantastic talent on the court. He is one of the best to play. He should not be compared to Jordan. There isn't a comparision, It's unfair to every other player, as well as him. MJ is just in a class of his own.The NBA should quit worrying who the next Jordan is and simply build the next generation of stars.

By the way I can only really watch the NBA in the playoffs, otherwise a regular season game has all the intensity of a Sunday pickup league.

Not going to pretend to know much about today's NBA. I was a fan as a child during the Barkley, Wilkins, Bird, Jordan, Magic era.

With this said and speaking from a layman's standpoint, I think that maybe Kevin Garnett is what the NBA is trying to hype Kobe and even LeBron to be. The NBA is desperate to find the next Jordan and seem to shove both Kobe and LeBron down everyone's throats. Kevin Garnett, on the other hand, came to an organization rich in tradition and led them to the NBA Title right away. Now, I am not calling Garnett the net Jordan (truth be told, there will never be another Jordan and if there is, he hasn't been born yet). Garnett, however, is a player that could become the face of the NBA.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

11. Re: OT: nod to Kevin Garnett

Until the NBA does something about the perception of the whole thing being fixed I won't really watch. Give me college ball anyday.

I have watched some NBA games the past few years that were just mind boggling. I mean.... Pro wrestling like charades. From ref calls, to players quiting, to teams blowing huge leads, to flops.... you name it I've seen it.

12. Re: OT: nod to Kevin Garnett

Olympic team just named-Looks like a sweet roster.