1. What Makes A Coach So Great???

Just a question that's been on my mind..I believe one thing that makes a coach great is that he can make due with the players he has to work with and make it work...I still think Brian Billick did just this when he became coach for the Ravens ...We had a great defense, but our offense was pretty offensive Tell me what you think

Re: What Makes A Coach So Great???

Putting great support coaches around him.

Knowing how to manage the clock.

WINNING CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!!!!!!!
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Organization
    Good players
    Luck

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz
    Putting great support coaches around him.
    That's my argument when I invariably hear Ravens 'fans' say that Billick didn't win the Super Bowl, Marvin Lewis won it. What those 'fans' fail to forget is that Marvin was the only coach from Marchibroda's staff that Billick retained. All great leaders surround themselves with great people, that's what makes them successful. Billick get the credit because he knew who to surround himself with.

Now as for picking QB's........ :D
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreRon
    That's my argument when I invariably hear Ravens 'fans' say that Billick didn't win the Super Bowl, Marvin Lewis won it. What those 'fans' fail to forget is that Marvin was the only coach from Marchibroda's staff that Billick retained. All great leaders surround themselves with great people, that's what makes them successful. Billick get the credit because he knew who to surround himself with.

Now as for picking QB's........ :D
    And also Marvin wasn't even his first choice. Billick wanted to get Gunther Cunningham, who went with the Chiefs.

Lucky Us! :)
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

That's right, I forgot about that.

And we also could have ended up with George Seifert or Chris Palmer as head coach. Look what they've done in the years that Coach B. has been here.
    She had me at "Hell, NO!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaven
    Organization
    Good players
    Luck
    Rack that -- organization is not recognized the way it should be. I think that is one of Billick's greatest attributes, but how often do we hear "Billick was supposed to be an offensive genuis, and he's not" while he's leading a team to a Super Bowl title, just like last year we heard some people whine "Marvin Lewis was supposed to be a defensive genius, but their defense sucks" while he lead the Bengals to the playoffs. It seems to take many years for coaches to shed their repetations as coordinators, which detracts from their abilities and talents as leaders of the whole team.

Billick is not an exceptional Xs and Os coach, but the man is an awesome motivator and leader of men. He's really good at getting his players to play hard, although the past two years haven't necessarily reflected that. Billick seems to be refocused, less involved with the media, and ready to bring this team back to form.

A Great Tailor.

The short list:

1. Adjusting to adversity
    2. Picking a very good supporting staff
    3. Player development
    4. Discipline
    5. Knowing his own limitations