Strahan calls it quits

More here from Fox Sports' Jay Glazer

The 2013 class of potential inductees into the HOF is certainly shaping up: Brett Favre, Michael Strahan, Junior Seau, Larry Allen, Bryant Young and Steve McNair.

Will J.O. add his name to the list next?

Re: Strahan calls it quits

Ironic that Strahan and Favre will be inducted together, since Favre gift-wrapped Strahan's single season sack record.

And yes, Ogden will be there too. I don't know why he's taking so long to make it official, but I'd be very surprised if he returns.

I always liked Strahan after the deodorant advert - thought if showed some humour on his part!

One hell of a Hall of Fame class being lined up for 2013, take McNair off the list and add on Warren Sapp.

Classes like that are the reason you should be able to extend the size of Hall of Fame classes in exceptional years. All of those guys (except for McNair) should be first ballot hall of famers but one or two will miss out for no other reason than that they retired at the "wrong time".

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers View Post
    One hell of a Hall of Fame class being lined up for 2013, take McNair off the list and add on Warren Sapp.

Classes like that are the reason you should be able to extend the size of Hall of Fame classes in exceptional years. All of those guys (except for McNair) should be first ballot hall of famers but one or two will miss out for no other reason than that they retired at the "wrong time".
    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

The Board of Selectors meets annually at the time of the Super Bowl to elect new members. There is no set number for any class of enshrinees but, the Board's current ground rules do stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest ever named.

That said, I don't think McNair is a first ballot HOF either way.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by purplepoe View Post
    http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

The Board of Selectors meets annually at the time of the Super Bowl to elect new members. There is no set number for any class of enshrinees but, the Board's current ground rules do stipulate that between four and seven new members will be selected each year. The 1973 and 1976 classes of three were the smallest ever named.

That said, I don't think McNair is a first ballot HOF either way.

PP
    Ah true, forgot they'd upped it to seven per year maximum, that opens up I think five spots for modern era players and reserves two spots for the historic comittee or whatever it's called?

Also agree that McNair isn't a first ballot HOFer, not even close. I don't think he's an any ballot HOFer to be honest unless he gets in a long, long way down the road. Good QB, yes, not HOF level though.

I might be wrong.

Im pretty sure I heard John Clayton say they changed the rules this year and have a 5 player maximum.

PP

I didn't care too much for Starhan but he had an exceptional career and is a first ballot HOF. McNair should not get into the HOF ever, its the Hall of FAME not the Hall of Very Good.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Anybody else hearing that $8mil will un-retire him?
    I'm hearing an undercurrent that there are also contract negotiations going on, and the timing of the announcement could be part of it...
    Not that he isn't going to retire, but that there is a chance that he could become a late-camp turn-up if the $$$ are big enough for a final year.

I'm also not aware of any injury issues (like JO's toe) that are pushing the retirement envelope.