Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Troy Smith edging out competition

According to Adam Shefter, TS is beginning to "make his mark" even with Boller taking most of the snaps.

So basically, Troy Smith>Boller.

Not news to me, I knew it all along.

The Boller era of mediocrity is finally coming to an end.

Source:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d808af835

Re: Troy Smith edging out competition

yeah bring on the Troy Smith era of mediocrity, followed by the Flacco ear of mediocrity, until the Flacco era of success...

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    yeah bring on the Troy Smith era of mediocrity, followed by the Flacco ear of mediocrity, until the Flacco era of success...
    I think it's funny you try to claim you're not a Troy hater. While you're looking into your crystal ball could you tell me the lotto numbers?

BTW, quit pulling s*** out your ass. Brees is 6 foot, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    I think it's funny you try to claim you're not a Troy hater. While you're looking into your crystal ball could you tell me the lotto numbers?

BTW, quit pulling s*** out your ass. Brees is 6 foot, plain and simple.
    No, I am a realist, Mediocrity IS SUCCESS for Troy. I mean come on, how many times do we have to go over the long odds he faces.. its a matter of Math. If he becomes a successful NFL starter, it's akin to Da 'Tara winning the Belmont. Sure it happens, and when it does you get PAID if you bet on it, but the chances are really pretty small.

Name more then 5 successful staters under 6'. IN HISTORY.

Name more then 10 successful day 2 picks.

Now out of those categories try and guage how many THOUSANDS have entered the league to produce your small list of successes. How many have accuracy issues? How many fit both catefories? Doug Flutie... who is well beyond an anomoly.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    No, I am a realist, Mediocrity IS SUCCESS for Troy. I mean come on, how many times do we have to go over the long odds he faces.. its a matter of Math. If he becomes a successful NFL starter, it's akin to Da 'Tara winning the Belmont. Sure it happens, and when it does you get PAID if you bet on it, but the chances are really pretty small.

Name more then 5 successful staters under 6'. IN HISTORY.

Name more then 10 successful day 2 picks.

Now out of those categories try and guage how many THOUSANDS have entered the league to produce your small list of successes. How many have accuracy issues? How many fit both catefories? Doug Flutie... who is well beyond an anomoly.
    Got damn you're a tool. First Brees is 6'2" now Troy is under 6 foot? I bet if he somehow grew 3 inches you'd say Drew Brees is 6'5" and you need to be atleast 6'4" to be a QB.

Successful day 2 picks:
    AD
    Brady
    Mike McCrary
    Marc Bulger
    Zach Thomas
    Robert Mathis
    Keenan McCardell
    Asante Samuel
    Richard Dent
    Shannon Sharpe
    Steve Largent
    Terrell Davis
    ...the list goes on.

The only list that may be bigger is the amount of first round QBs that amount to NOTHING.

Got damn you're a tool. First Brees is 6'2" now Troy is under 6 foot? I bet if he somehow grew 3 inches you'd say Drew Brees is 6'5" and you need to be atleast 6'4" to be a QB.

Successful day 2 picks:
    AD
    Brady
    Mike McCrary
    Marc Bulger
    Zach Thomas
    Robert Mathis
    Keenan McCardell
    Asante Samuel
    Richard Dent
    Shannon Sharpe
    Steve Largent
    Terrell Davis
    ...the list goes on.

The only list that may be bigger is the amount of first round QBs that amount to NOTHING.
    Basically I'm saying that if you stand them side by side, Brees is a couple inches taler, ergo Troy ain't no 6'. I'm 5'10" and have been close enough to notice he isn't noticeably taller then me. I know what 6' looks liek, and Troy isn't it.

We were tlakign about QB's, wtf do I care abotu AF and Terrell Davis.

I'll help you.

Matt Hassslebeck
    umm umm
    Derek Anderson
    emm ummm

Toim Brady, oh yeha you had that one
    Marc Bulger
    oh damn that one too

umm umm crickets...

soem UDFA's like Tony Romo too...Kurt Warner...
    umm umm
    so out of the THOUSANDS(maybe even tens of thousands) of day 2 QB's and UDFA QB's we have a few solid to good QB's.
    Over half the league has a starter that was a Day 1 guy, and it is for good reason. IT takes a LOT to be a solid NFL QB... A LOT. Defenders come from everywhere, it's pretty common... You'll never see me claiming we NEED to get a first round LBer, or DE or S, or DT... maybe CB... Definately QB's, WR's(for elite gamebreakers), RB's seem to fair better, LT's... that's what day 1 picks should be used on.

Take Troy Smith's name out of the equation. It's jsut odds, math, reason, not passions.... He's facing long ones, you at least have to be able to understand that. That's all I'm saying.
    As it looks from heresay, he appears to have the upper hand at the moment to be our starter, good for him. Let's see what he can do, btu if you want me to hold my breath, call me little boy blue sittign in the corner, it's not likely for him to be a good starter.

How much of the Troy Smith hoopla is the media wanting to put something in print, and feeding to the Anybody-but-Boller mentality that is obvious among some Baltimore fans? I'll believe that Troy Smith will be the starter only when I see him start against Cincy. OTAs and minicamps are virtually meaningless, especially, for the skill position players learning a new and complex offensive system. The competition starts in Training Camp, as Harbaugh has stated.

Unless Troy Smith shows significantly greater skills than Boller, and assuming that Flacco carries the clipboard, I expect Harbaugh to go with the more experienced Boller. Harbaugh also has watched the tape of Smith's dismal performance against the Seahawks. There's little logic in gambling on Smith in 2008, because he is not likely to play a meaningful role in 2009, when Flacco should take over fulltime. Smith should be a very cheap backup, but I don't believe our organization projects him as an NFL starter. He hasn't grown since arriving here.

I think it's funny you try to claim you're not a Troy hater.
    What is it with this word "hate"? Sounds high schoolish. How can any Ravens fans "hate" any Ravens player? If there are players to "hate", they wear Black and Gold, or Orange and Brown. We can argue about which players should be starting and used in which capacity, but "hating" any Ravens player -- even Harper le Bel -- is downright inappropriate!

Brees is 6 foot, plain and simple.
    So, now Troy Smith is supposed to be another Brees? Get real ... Flacco was drafted in the 1st round because our FO decided that there was no QB on the roster adequate to upgrade the passing game to the level needed. There are always exceptions to the rule. Sometimes late rounders bloom, and sometimes 6 footers make it as QB -- Doug Flutie was only 5' 9". But I don't think that our FO believes that Smith will be another Flutie (or Brees, or Brady).

As to the 6 foot legend: next time you have an opportunity to see Troy Smith standing up next to one of the grown-ups, judge the height difference for yourself. I believe that he's closer to 5' 10" than 6' 0". Too small to see over 6' 5" linemen. That's why he was passed over by 31 other GM's 5 times each.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Unless Troy Smith shows significantly greater skills than Boller, and assuming that Flacco carries the clipboard, I expect Harbaugh to go with the more experienced Boller. Harbaugh also has watched the tape of Smith's dismal performance against the Seahawks. There's little logic in gambling on Smith in 2008, because he is not likely to play a meaningful role in 2009, when Flacco should take over fulltime. Smith should be a very cheap backup, but I don't believe our organization projects him as an NFL starter. He hasn't grown since arriving here.
    You are too much. Kyle Boller is a bust. Has been. It's not really a debate.

Is Smith better? Who knows. But it is utterly LAUGHABLE that you keep bringing up Troy Smith's FIRST NFL start as some barometer to measure whether or not he'll be successful. Let's not forget the game was in what is probably the hardest stadium for a road team to play in. McGahee went out early and didn't return. It was horrible conditions and half the team had packed it in by then. Yet this game somehow means he can't play? Hell, I have serious doubts he can be a legit QB but it's certainly not due to that game.

Kyle F'n Boller has had worse performances then that 3 years into his career. I wonder if Harbaugh will watch tapes of the Jax and Denver games in 05. I got news for you, if the Ravens projected Boller as a starter, McNair wouldn't of been brought in and Flacco wouldn't be a Raven. The fact is, this organization gave up on Boller being a starter 2 years ago. If Boller was worth a lick he'd clearly be the starter going into this season. If Smith was as bad as you proclaim, then why is there a competition where, by most accounts, the short crappy Smith is clearly grasping the new offense better and showing it. Sure, mini camps and OTAs are overrated etc...but it would stand to reason that the QB drafted in the 1st round with 5 years experience would outplay a 5th round guy who's 5' 11''. But alas, that's not the case.

I also find it ridiculous that you think starting Smith isn't logical because he's not likely to play a meaningful role here when the fact is Smith, not Boller, has a better chance of playing a meaningful role on this team next year simply because Boller will not be a member of this team and Smith probably will.

I don't "hate" Kyle Boller. I hate his play.

PP

Billick is gone, and so is the era of appointing starting positions. Boller will have to play better than both Smith and the rookie, or he will be out of here.
    Personally I am rooting for a resurection of a promising talent wasted by Billick's boneheaded approach. I would pt my money on Troy Smith to win based on what I have seen, even in the "hoorible Seatle performance when he was "almost" intercepted a couple times and still played better than McNair did most of the time last year. Seattle was a playoff team at home late in the season against a rookie QB, no Heap, and 3 rookie linemen.

Forget about 2009, the Ravens are still in contention to win in 2008 no matter who wins the QB job, there will be plenty of talent on the team, and finally we should have a coach who knows how to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    How much of the Troy Smith hoopla is the media wanting to put something in print, and feeding to the Anybody-but-Boller mentality that is obvious among some Baltimore fans? I'll believe that Troy Smith will be the starter only when I see him start against Cincy. OTAs and minicamps are virtually meaningless, especially, for the skill position players learning a new and complex offensive system. The competition starts in Training Camp, as Harbaugh has stated.

What is it with this word "hate"? Sounds high schoolish. How can any Ravens fans "hate" any Ravens player? If there are players to "hate", they wear Black and Gold, or Orange and Brown. We can argue about which players should be starting and used in which capacity, but "hating" any Ravens player -- even Harper le Bel -- is downright inappropriate!

So, now Troy Smith is supposed to be another Brees? Get real ... Flacco was drafted in the 1st round because our FO decided that there was no QB on the roster adequate to upgrade the passing game to the level needed. There are always exceptions to the rule. Sometimes late rounders bloom, and sometimes 6 footers make it as QB -- Doug Flutie was only 5' 9". But I don't think that our FO believes that Smith will be another Flutie (or Brees, or Brady).

As to the 6 foot legend: next time you have an opportunity to see Troy Smith standing up next to one of the grown-ups, judge the height difference for yourself. I believe that he's closer to 5' 10" than 6' 0". Too small to see over 6' 5" linemen. That's why he was passed over by 31 other GM's 5 times each.
    Not Surprising.

So basically Harbaugh has had Smith taking most of the snaps with the starters means nothing?

So now Smith has gone from a guy who wouldn't be in the league when his contract runs out and a CFL guy to a "cheap backup" who we just don't view as our long time starter. I mean, no shit we don't really view him as a long term guy, we just spent the 18 pick on Flacco.

But as compared to Boller, Smith obviously is showing the coaches something is they are giving him the majority of the reps with the 1's.

Boller's 2 big and basically only pluses he had going for him here are no longer...Billick is gone and he is in the same boat having to learn a new offense.

But as compared to Boller, Smith obviously is showing the coaches something is they are giving him the majority of the reps with the 1's.
    They could be giving him an extended look because there is a limited amount of tape on him. Boller is a known quantity, so why spend what little time they have watching him throw dirtballs? That could be the reason. Nothing is obvious at this point.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

hmm, I read it was 50/50 at the latest camp, maybe he's regressing? haha just a joke, btu you are grabbing at straws.