Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT / Baltimore Uniforms ... finally

Just sat down to read the Sunday edition of The Setting Sun and got a grin on my face ....

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/b...,3303554.story

I gotta think the Nationals had something to do with this. No longer are the O's a regional team. Now the larger challenge is to try and win back the people like my father who gave up on them years ago -- he felt as if the team was taking the local fans for granted. Cant say I totally disagree with his feelings.

Re: OT / Baltimore Uniforms ... finally

Excellent! Such a small thing but a huge deal for the fans!

Now, how cool would it be if those new uni's could also assist our current Birds make plays on routine groundballs, throw out basestealers, run out groundballs at least 90 feet, catch pop-ups, not get thrown out by ten feet trying to stretch a base for no reason (or even if there is a reason), hit the cut-off man, avoid leading the league in getting picked off base, stretch out starter's beyond the ridiculous 100 pitch-mark when they ae going well, get the runner in from third with less than two out (or one), turn the friggin' double play, and purge the veteran bums from the roster before July 31, and then you may have something!!

For much too long Os ownership has relied on the Orioles fan loyalty while putting forth absolute garbage on the field. The media in this town sugar coating their every terrible move and the loyal fans that still go to games are the foundation for the Orioles losing ways. This team had the money to compete for years but never spent enough of it to field a competitive team.

Of course Flanagan and the other boneheads hired by angelos wouldn't have spent it wisely so I guess the franchise was doomed to a decade of losing seasons no matter how much was spent.

I'm surprised that after a decade of disaster any fan base would want to claim this franchise as their own.

That's right, I forgot on this board it's cool to hate everything Orioles, because boycotting them is obviously the thing to do just like what everyone did to the Colts. And that worked out so well!

Lighten up, Francis.

Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    That's right, I forgot on this board it's cool to hate everything Orioles, because boycotting them is obviously the thing to do just like what everyone did to the Colts. And that worked out so well!

Lighten up, Francis.

That's the problem, Angelos knows the Colts move is fresh in 30 something and older minds and uses it to rake in profit while providing little talent for the paying customer to root for.

If that's the warehouses M.O. and I believe besides raking in all the dollars from the city, state and fanbase it is , my reply is move and do it ASAP.

It wouldn't bother me at all if the Oriole franchise moved out of town. Matter of fact I look forward to the time when they do, life would still go on and this town would be spared all the embarrassment the Oriole franchise has burdened it with both on and off the field.

If a restaurant serves a decade worth of bad meals, has piss poor customer service and generally treats the paying customer with disdain do you go back and give it your hard earned cash??

The Orioles have done little since Angelos took over to show it's appreciation of this fan base and have tested this fans loyalty a few seasons too long.

If other fans choose to overlook what has happened both on and off the diamond , good for them.

I'd be pretty upset if the Orioles skipped town. That's the team I grew up with. This team has local heros that I have actually seen play, or seen their entire career. The Ravens didn't show up until I was in my mid 20s, and the guys on that team that many consider heros are looked at as nothing but primadona thugs by those outside of Baltimore.

The team has spent money, and that was part of the problem. They neglected the farm system for the likes of Joey Belle. Angelos is a problem, but maybe he'll let MacPhail run the show now. In the past Angelos would have never allowed a guy like Bedard to be traded. I don't think MacPhail would have taken the job if he thought the owner was going to overrule his decisions, and I'm sure if Angelos starts doing that Macphail will walk.

I'm hoping in the next 3 years we will see some of our young guys develop and we can compliment that development with some key FA aquisitions. That's how you build a winner.

As much as I hate Angelos, I'd take the O's with him then no O's at all.

The Biscuit is an Angelos in the making. In 5 years are you going to be calling for the Ravens to move? Remember Angelos was considered a local savior when he bought the Orioles.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post

The Biscuit is an Angelos in the making. In 5 years are you going to be calling for the Ravens to move? Remember Angelos was considered a local savior when he bought the Orioles.

I for one don't believe McPhail is running the ship or if he is he won't be for long . We've seen this act before with Pat Gillick.

Savior by whom, the Sunpaper? He had a license to print money with that venue but that wasn't good enough he had to sue the state regarding CY for more....Ummmm how many times?

I don't see Biscotti as a "Angelos in the making" and to imply I've reached this level of indifference and disgust after "5 years" is glossing over umpteen years of the worst ownership in team sports.

If in fact the Steve Biscotti and the Ravens went about business the way the Orioles have for too many years I wouldn't care if they moved. Sports is entertainment for me not a lifestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by Purpleguy View Post

Kudos to Purpleguy for turning a post about a crowning moment in the past 37years for the Orioles into another rant against Bisciotti ...errrr excuse, "The Biscuit". You must have some connection to Billick??? Maybe his daughter's boyfriend or maybe his massage therapist who can no longer work out the stress knots that gather in his buttocks since being fired. Something is going on...its never ending.

My love for the Orioles runs deeper than my angst against Angelos. Might be unfortunate but it is true. Even enough to sit through that red menstrual tide of Saturday night at OPACY when Manny hit his 500th home run to go so nicely with is 500th error. Never felt that stadium shake like that before...even in 96 an 97.

Is it any wonder why I put purpleguy on ignore ... shame on you all for quoting him, thus making his illogical rants visible to me! ;)

Galen, kudos to you for your support. I wish I had the stayng power, but my breaking point was 3 seasons ago.

The simple solution to this whole things is winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    Kudos to Purpleguy for turning a post about a crowning moment in the past 37years for the Orioles into another rant against Bisciotti ...errrr excuse, "The Biscuit". You must have some connection to Billick??? Maybe his daughter's boyfriend or maybe his massage therapist who can no longer work out the stress knots that gather in his buttocks since being fired. Something is going on...its never ending.

My love for the Orioles runs deeper than my angst against Angelos. Might be unfortunate but it is true. Even enough to sit through that red menstrual tide of Saturday night at OPACY when Manny hit his 500th home run to go so nicely with is 500th error. Never felt that stadium shake like that before...even in 96 an 97.
    O please. Threads take all sorts of turns and just because PG's view of the teflon owner Bisciotti isn't a popular one doesn't mean he can't voice it.

Excuse the few of us who don't think SB is the end all be of NFL owners. And once again, it's not about Billick. That's the problem It never was.

As for your O's take. I'm with you. I love the team and always will.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The simple solution to this whole things is winning.
    No, it isn't. Winning is a part of it. And not as big a part as alot of people think.

It's about repairing the relationship that has been severed.

I got news for you, if the O's are 2 games out on September 1st (I know it's not happening, it's hypothetical) there will be a slight bump in the attendance.

I know MANY people my age (early 30s) who could careless if they started winning. The abandoned ship years ago. When you get shit on for a long period of time, you tend to want to not get shit on.

Stuff like putting Baltimore back on the jersey is one small step. There are countless other steps besides winning that need to happen before Baltimore as a whole embraces this team again.

PP