Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Troy Smith, revisited...

As I posted previously, imho, Troy Smith should be the starter come September. Naturally, only gametime competition will decide the starter, but I believe TS has what it takes to make the jump.

http://www.ravens24x7.com/column_vie...7&view=archive
    Last edited by ravenjoe; 05-29-2008 at 07:59 AM.
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Re: Troy Smith, revisited...

Im not sold (yet).

I seem to recall a young QB named Chris Redman having a few good days at camp. You're correct that it will take game play.

Great observations, TL...
    "Grab those pusillanimous sons-a-bitches by the nose and kick 'em in the balls.." General George S. Patton

Great Read, TL!

One thing you seem to touch on that the media seems to have left out are the amount of defensive starters that missed this practice.

Not to take anything away from Troy, but I would like to see what he does when Reed, Lewis and McAlister are present.

This site is the premier read for Ravens info, thanks for the update Tony!!!

That noted there's nothing surprising about the information on Bollers inept performance in the camps thus far , for me anyway. Boller is NFL garbage.

I guess this is the cue for someone to post there was 8 teams with worse starting quarterbacks last season.

Disapointing that Boller is apparently struggling so much.

Not that it is all that surprising.

Southeast England,where the only Raven flag flutters.

Great to read some Raven info in this period of sparse Raven news.

The main line that jumped out at me in TL's piece and the one that got me excited was.

They are very conscious of yards after catch
    If there is something this plodding offense needs,is YAC.And will be a welcome addition,if it is also stressed that to gain that further yard after you have got a first down.You are more likely to fumble the ball in a crowd.So YAC,is great,but protect the ball also.

Great reading on Troy,it is only the NFL standard of tall QB's that is holding him back.If he can roll out,or find passing lanes between his linemen he should be ok.

Sadnews that Boller,with his job on the line,is still not clicking. Not that anyone should be surprised as he has never really showed any passing skills on a consistant basis.But when you are in a hole like this you would think he'd be a little better prepared.

Add KB to those 1st round QB flops.Not as big as some flops,but big enough for anyone who supports the Ravens.
    Put the smile back on your face.This is a 60 minute ball game.

Casey Willet at NST has been predicting Smith as the Week 1 starter for some time.

If that comes to pass, there is an interesting decision for the order of 2/3. Clearly Flacco, as the QOTF, should be in the right spot for him. As the backup he would get plenty of reps with the first team offense, which would be good. If on the other hand he slides to 3, he gets the headset (do they still do that?) on game day, and has less pressure to be ready for every game every week. There's an argument either way.

In fact, you could literally make an argument for *any* permutation of the three. Time will tell.

It's sad to see Boller's legacy. Who knows how he might have worked out, if he hadn't been put right into the fire of a craptastic offense with no talent around him for the first few years of his NFL career. I wish him nothing but the best, this year and in the future, and I hope he enjoys success in the NFL somewhere along the line.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Funny all these articles say Smith had a good day of practice. But good ole Preston reports Smith looked just as bad as Boller. Typical.

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/spor...rterbacks.html
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post

It's sad to see Boller's legacy. Who knows how he might have worked out, if he hadn't been put right into the fire of a craptastic offense with no talent around him for the first few years of his NFL career.
    I can't lay the blame for Bollers poor quarterbacking on anyone but Boller.
    He still makes many of the same mistakes he made as a scatter shooting rookie.

Boller still sat half a season his first year but it was also his choice not to be in camp on time not that it would have mattered any. Boller is a poor NFL quarterback because he has holes in his game that cannot be fixed no matter how many repetitions he gets or how many takes on the task to coach him up. Boller started the first game of his first season and that may have stunted his progress but five years in we should be seeing a NFL starting caliber quarterback. We don't see anything close.

I'm not sad at all for Boller , I'm sad for this organization for how much it lost financially and professionally hoping Boller would somehow morph into a decent starting quarterback.
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 05-30-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Funny all these articles say Smith had a good day of practice. But good ole Preston reports Smith looked just as bad as Boller. Typical
    Even John "Mr. Mackey" Clayton over at ESPN was giving props to Troy. Just proves my theory that Preston cant pry himself away from his Krispy Kream strewn desk and actually go to Owings Mills.