Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: NFL Fan Conduct Policy

Ya know, somehow I knew someone on the other side of the pond would weigh in on this with a soccer comparison.

The NFL is nothing like soccer -- but McAfee Stadium in Oakland is damn close!

I totally agree with Purple Poe is that it is just a reflection on society today. Simply put, a total breakdown. Why can't people have manners and cheer respectfully? No one should fear for their life just because they attend a football game, regardless of who you cheer for.

Why penalize the respectful fan who drinks and acts responsibly?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If you get arrested and found guilty for assaulting someone, say good-bye to your season tix and the team can sell them at their PSL price to someone new -- speeds up the waiting list and weeds out the a$$holes who ruin it for everyone else.
    Remember when we were allowed to bring huge (even 10 gallon) jugs of beer into Memorial Stadium, so long as it wasn't in glass contaiers? I don't remember any blatant acts of violence back then. :D

Seriously tho, i agree with Houston's idea above, but maybe with a couple modifications. The police generally arrest anybody involved in a fight (ie; a jerk can get up and bang you in the face for no reason. Your neighbors separate you. You stand up and cuss at him and the cops bust you both cause you're "involved". I've seen the police mishandle a number of incidents in the stadium over the years. So I would modify the rule as follows:

One conviction for assault during a game - loss of season tickets
    Two convictions for assault during a game - loss of PSL

For non PSL teams - Two convictions and you are banned from buying season tickets.

Of course this would mean that the district court would release the conviction information to the team. I'm not sure if that is allowed or the process might cost the team more than it's worth. Even so, it would probably cost less than banning beer sales.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Not all teams have PSL seats like we have.
    It's one thing to have seasaon tickets and have them revoked.
    It's another thing to fork out thousands of dollars for a PSL and the tickets and have all of it revoked.
    People with PSLs generally think twice (at least I'd like to think they do) about who they're going to sell them to.
    I'll be damned if I'm going to have my PSLs revoked because some jack ass I sold the tickets to couldn't behave.
    When Phillys new stadium opened with PSls the amount of violence and nonsense has seen a dramatic reduction from what I understand.
    To me, the PSLs are the keys moreso then the tickets.
    This is as much a function of selling prices being higher, though. If and when I sell my tickets to someone for $400+, who's gonna get that seat? Some rabble-rouser who gets ultra-trashed in the stadium lot and looks to raise trouble in the stands? Or someone who's gonna be a bit better behaved?

I would guess the number of tickets sold after-market in PSL stadiums is equal to those sold at non-PSL stadiums. Non-PSL stadiums have the same thing. You own your seat, but that seat can just change. If you let someone in that messes around and gets the boot, you're still at risk for losing your right to the season tickets. They just don't cost as much.

FWIW, I think this was the same issue with Philly. I don't know what the prices were at the old stadium, but in the new one, you went from having folks that had tickets forever so they only had to pay the price of the seats, to having to pay several thousands for that PSL. Many wouldn't have, which opened it up to new PSL owners. Now not only do you have the increase in ticket prices, but also the PSL to pay for. Who's gonna buy 'em? Not the guys who're likely to get blasted and start fights...

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I am curious as to how many beers on average each poster typically buys at a game.

At $7 a beer for domestic, my average is ..............drum roll please.......1.
    0... zilch .....nada..... nunca...zip....bupkis....nyet

Wink Re: NFL Fan Conduct Policy

Quote Originally Posted by UKRaven View Post
    Easiest option in ALL sports is to allow NO away fans. (Those that do get tickets should not be allowed to wear 'colors')

No way! That would terminate my favorite hobby: Ravens away games. And wearing my team's colors. Why should I be punished for the actions of a handful of drunken hooligans?

What's wrong with this simple approach: If one is a drunk and disorderly fan, arrest him for that. If one harasses visiting team fans (or vice versa), charge him with assault. Add extra police at NFL games - have the NFL pay for the OT.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Sevinne View Post
    I am curious as to how many beers on average each poster typically buys at a game.

At $7 a beer for domestic, my average is ..............drum roll please.......1.
    None since 1998. I will buy a diet coke, but I usually get the free soda tickets for being designated driver.
    Now I have taken the brandy filled candies into the stadium Got my whole section buzzed! Everyone was too happy to fight!

Regarding the comparison to UK soccer (footy), I was lucky enough to go to an Premier League game in December while therefor Christmas. Here's what they had on sale:

Food
    Meat pies
    Greasy french fries (Chips)

Drinks
    Hot tea
    Beef broth

I kid you not.

I loved the game, but a couple of brewskies would have made it most excellent.

And it was the tamest crowd I have seen at ANY sporting event ever, including my kids' rec league soccer and lacrosse. Nary a hooligan in sight.

DUNK

Which Premiership ground were you at?

Also the no beer thing is in place throughout football in the UK, beer is banned in the stands and it has almost totally wiped out violence in the stands at football games.

Rugby is in stark comparison where like the NFL there is zero segregation between home and away fans, beer is allowed in the stands and there is always a great balance between intensity and cordiality in the atmosphere.

Blog Entries

I'd guess the Premier league game you got to see would have been more like Seattle/Jacksonville as opposed to Ravens/PITt or Philly/Giants :)

I like the idea of 3 strikes on a seat and it is gone.
    Possibly if it is the owner, then the first strike counts as 2.
    I can also envision some kind of responsibility being put on brokers also. Not sure exactly how, but some accountability for incidents occurring in seats that pass through their hands.
    Otherwise the solution is barriers, restricted areas, greater police presence... things that tend to slow down the flow, and add an oppressive atmosphere to what hopefully is a gala time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    I like the idea of 3 strikes on a seat and it is gone.
    Possibly if it is the owner, then the first strike counts as 2.
    No, absolutely not. Regardless of three strikes or two, it has to be treated the same if it's the owner or whoever he sold/gave the ticket to. That's part of the responsibility - and risk - the owner takes by not going to the game himself.

- C -

My EPL game was a Fratton Park in Portsmouth. A small, dingy place. I am told it is certainly not representative of top flight football grounds. Nonetheless, I had a truly great time. We did have beer before and after and the game itself was superb. I have to say, the folks next to us found great enjoyment in being seated next to Yanks. They were kind enough to teach us the chants (cheers!) although I still have my doubts that they were speaking English.

I passed on the meat pies, although I found it amazing that you could bet on the game, as well as various aspects of the game, right there in the stadium. It would be like having a bookie joint on the concourse of the Vault. Amazing!

So all UK Ravens, let us know when you are able to come to Baltimore, so we can get you tailgating.

Dunk