Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Who's the best coach in the AFC, and why?

only a handful of coaches have won multiple SBs--Lombardi, Shula, Landry, Noll, Walsh, Gibbs, Parcells, Shanahan, Belichik; I believe that's the total list. All but Gibbs won all their SBs with the same QB. A lot of great and near-great coaches never won any; Levy, Bud Grant, D Reeves. Marty Schottenheimer is a great regular-season coach but always loses in the playoffs.
    I'd say that if Billick wins another SB, he'll be considered a great coach. for now he'll have to settle for being a pretty darn good one.

more on this; Shula won his with the same team. He hung around another ten years or so, some with Dan Marino, but never won another. Shanahan won his with Elway; none since. Noll won all his with Bradshaw. Landry won both with Staubach. Gibbs won two of his during strike years.

Does Shannahan get an * because he is nothing without Elway???? OK, being a smart aleck

This season, the AFC coach who is the best is Billick. He got ripped by his owner in January as a new year present & had to totally change his way of thinking & coaching. Think about it, this guy got ripped by his owner in public, the media, the fans & came back to face everyone after that. He had to open up his coaching & game planning ideas to his other coaches & players, as SB said he had to. He had to swallow his pride & re-invent himself after a 6-10 season. He has a team that will have a 5-6 game + swing vs. last year. Billick was my coach in 99, 00, 03, 04, 05 & this year. Good or bad, I'd take Billick. For these & many other reasons, Billick is the AFC coach of the year.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

Billick was my coach in 99, 00, 03, 04, 05 & this year.
    Why wasn't he your coach in 01 and 02? 02 was one of his best coaching jobs, IMO.

He's been my coach everyyear as I said, I'll t ake Billick in good or bad, as I said. I missed 2 years by accident, but I thought I covered it with the good or bad part, I am at work too. 01 was great because he lost Jamal in preseason & still managed to get back to the playoffs, although he should have let Cunningham take over towards the end of the year & the playoffs, the team would have went further. 02 was just an awesome job after the cap purge & losing Ray & what he got out of all those rookies.

My youngest son Kyle w/ Michael Phelps after the Browms game 12/24/11

Season Ticket Holder Since 96,
    Loud, Proud & Purple in Section 504. GO RAVENS, all the way to Indy for the Lombardi!!!

I think if Billick gets the second ring he'll be entering some pretty elite company. I'm not a major Brian Billick fan, but I do believe in giving a man his due. I don't think there's any getting around the fact that 2 SBs puts you up on a pretty elite pedestal, especially when you're talking about doing it in a span of 7 years (+/-), not to mention a divison title and another wild card post season appearance, with only one really sub-par year. Just look at the Bengals, with NO SBs in their entire franchise.

GO RAVENS!!!

I don't know if Shanahan gets an Elway *, but great players help make good coaches. Look how well Chuch D'Amato did at NC St with Philip Rivers; now he's fired. when a team wins multiple SBs, it's usually with the same basic core group. Noll had some playoff teams in Pigsburgh, but won his SBs with Bradshaw, Franco, etc.
    BB has a handful of players from the 2000 team (Ray, Jamal, CMac, JOgd) but lots of different ones, esp on O (most of the line, Dilfer, Gash, Sharpe, Qadry, Patrick, Stokely).
    I understand one of the reasons Mr. Bisciotti kept BB was lack of alternative. Most of the 'hot' candidates (Saban, Weiss, even Dick Nolan) were already hired elsewhere. I'm just glad they didn't go for a quck fix with a recycled Jerry Glanville or Mora sr (competent coaches, but would they have been an upgrade?).

Excellent point, SailorSam. While I've been a frequent critic of BB, when I ask myself the necessary, logical question: "Ok, who would I choose instead from the available alternatives"?, I don't really come up with any names. And especially now that he's single-handedly taken over the offense, and things seem to be clicking -- at least when it doesn't rain -- I don't know that there ARE any easy answers.

GO RAVENS!!!

Ravens Talk 24x7 > NFL Forums > Ravens 24x7
    Who's the best coach in the AFC, and why?
    Welcome, braven98.
    You last visited: Today at 03:18 PM
    Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 22.

User CP Chat FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Log Out

Show Threads Show Posts
    Advanced Search

Quick Links
    Today's Posts
    Mark Forums Read
    Open Buddy List
    User Control Panel
    Edit Signature
    Edit Profile
    Edit Options
    Miscellaneous
    Private Messages
    Subscribed Threads
    My Profile
    Who's Online

Go to Page...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes

#1 12-05-2006, 07:26 AM
    skaybaltimore
    Rookie 24x7 Raven Join Date: Dec 2006

Who's the best coach in the AFC, and why?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who is the best coach in the AFC, and why?

skaybaltimore
    View Public Profile
    Send a private message to skaybaltimore
    Send email to skaybaltimore
    Find all posts by skaybaltimore
    Add skaybaltimore to Your Buddy List

#2 12-05-2006, 10:02 AM
    GreenWave52
    Regular 1st Stringer Join Date: Aug 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Belichick

no one else is even close. He loses star players and keeps on winning
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan