Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Jason Taylor to Ravens?

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    Highwater, there is plenty of sports talk without making up stuff and reporting it as news items. It is completely irresponsible, and other sports talk outlets in the city, including this very site, get by without it.

And it's not even the first time. They are without integrity.

:2c:
    I'm with you. It's not just sports talk either...the amount of glaring omissions and utter lack of research is borderline appalling - well, and the amount of grammatical and spelling errors on CNN is poor as well. I don't claim to be an English expert or even close, but at least spell words correctly.

Unfortunately, about the only thing that will stop it is some of these sports talk hosts and sites getting sued for Libel or Slander. Of course, it's often not worth the money to do that.
    Just win baby...

I have no idea what was said on the radio by the Miami chick or Bulldog on this subject, but for what it's worth, here's Bulldogs blog on this subject.

Bulldogs Blog

Seems like mostly his opinion versus any fact other then souces he says he has spoken with.
    It doesn't appear to me in anyway that he's saying this will definitely happen.
    The only thing that appears to be written as definite is that Taylor wants out of Miami.
    Who knows who Bulldogs sources are, but I will add that two years ago he was saying very similar stuff about Steve Mcnair well before Mcnair got locked out of the Titans complex and we acquired him.

Would not surprise me in the least to find out the Ravens FO have had some level of talks with Miami regarding Taylor regardless of what they say publically.
    They have always said they will continue to look for ways to improve this football team at all times.

No doubt in my mind adding a Jason Taylor to this defense with the piss poor pass rush we had last year would be an improvement.
    I'd like to think the guys that get paid to run this defense see it the same way.

Jason Taylor may be in his early 30s, but the dude is still a physical freak that still has a pretty good amount of gas left in the tank.
    Near as I can remember he doesn't really have any type of injury history either the way Trevor Pryce did, and I think every fan of the Ravens thougt getting Pryce was a great pick up after his first season here.
    You put his ass on this defense with the guys we already got and it is a nightmare for offensive coordinators to ponder over.
    Particurally with the type of stuff Rex Ryan likes to do moving guys all over the place.

A secondarys best friend is a pass rush!!

Maybe there was a reason we really didn't draft a defensive end last month afterall other then available quality left on the board.

I don't know about coughing up a 3rd rounder for Taylor, but if they did it, I wouldn't be calling it a stupid move or waste of a draft pick.
    I've seen us spend much higher draft picks on guys that proved to be nothing and a complete waste.
    Adding Taylor would be far from a complete waste IMO if even only for a couple years.

Guess we have to stay tuned to see what happens, but count me in as one that would welcome Jason Taylor here!!
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

A quote from the cited blog:
    My initial “local source” is not a member of the Ravens organization; and as of this evening I have not gotten any “official” or “unofficial” response from the Ravens about this topic.
    /rant
    Ummm, ok. It seems like EVERYBODY else - Tony, AW, even the Sun - was able to get an official denial from the Ravens organization, but "the Bulldog" was not, and went steaming forward with his 'story' anyway. Apparently somebody (an agent, perhaps?) wanted to get a story out and found someone without journalistic scruples to be his pipeline.

This is *not* responsible reporting, it is *not* acceptable, and it is an insult to the other decent local sporting news outlets (like Ravens24x7) to say that it is ok, or that they all do it.
    /endrant
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus
    This is *not* responsible reporting, it is *not* acceptable, and it is an insult to the other decent local sporting news outlets
    At the risk of beating this subject to death, can someone clarify for me who exactly broke this so-called story? I was under the impression that it was raised by someone on Anita Marks' show (presumably her), but it now sounds like it was the Bulldog who brought it up. Who started all this?

Bulldog claims he spoke with sevral current and former Raven players who were pushing for this trade as well as indirect quotes from Taylor expressing his interest in coming to Baltimore.

There clearly is a lot of documented stories about his desire (probably mutual) to leave Miami. The only uestion is to where. The Jags were a rumoured team along with SD, but becuase he is under contract with the fins, unless they give specific permission, teams can not just go telling reporters they would love to have him on their team. They call that tampering and take away 5th round picks for it.

The most important part of the rumour is that JT allegedly claims he wants to be here, and who can blame any defensive player for wanting to be a part of this defense. Getting spurned by T.O. or free agent QBs is one thing, but if you play DE like JT or Trevor Pryce, the grass really is a whole lot greener over here.

If his agent started the rumor, that would be a credible source.

It's clear that Yaffe should not of gone with what he said.

He does indeed look like a moron.

Then again, this incident didn't lead me to my conclusion about him. He's been a joke for years.

PP

Wink Re: Jason Taylor to Ravens?

I'd love to see it happen. Taylor's addition would, essentially, fill the huge hole created when our FO let Adalius walk away. I could foresee another #1 Defense if Taylor were to join the Ravens, Fabian steps up to push Rolle, and the other key guys stay healthy.

:T2:
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    If his agent started the rumor, that would be a credible source.
    No.

Or, to be more specific, what he should have done was this: Somebody with *no* inside knowledge of the organization, such as an agent, says X. That happens all the time. Agents often plant, or try to plant, stories that could make money for their clients (look at all the demand for my player!). Fine. Hell, sometimes the agents try to plant stories that are even true, though that's not what happened here.

Then, what responsible sources do is, CALL THE TEAM. Get an *official* answer. You may not like the answer you get, and you may, if you think your story in this case is true (though it wasn't), run with it anyway. Where Yaffe went wrong was, (1) he didn't check with the team, or if he did and still stupidly thought the story was true, (2) he did not include as part of the story that the team was denying it. Because, as evidenced by the behavior of the Sun, TL here, and Aaron Wilson, *that's* what journalists do when they hear stories like this.

And if you can't check with the team, for whatever reason, you sit with your ass on the story, because you have some integrity and are not some patsy for a scurrilous rumor mongering agent.

To those readers tired of my opinion on this matter: I am not trying to beat a dead horse, rather, I am trying to demonstrate it is actually dead. I am massaging a dead horse. Anyway, I apologize for covering this ground again.

Off to another barbecue!
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Quote Originally Posted by festivus
    I am massaging a dead horse.
    Hmmm . . . I'm not sure I needed that visual, but no apologies are needed, festivus. I was just curious as to who started this story. But since there appears to be no validity to it, I'm ready to put it to bed.

Blog Entries

I have to be honest, I don't think it's all bad for us fans because it starts fresh debate. Some of the responses I've read about all of this on different forums have been quite insightful and shown some fresh perspectives. I don't like that people run with unchecked stories and it's devaluing the media outlets, but it's been interesting to see what people think of him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I have to be honest, I don't think it's all bad for us fans because it starts fresh debate. Some of the responses I've read about all of this .
    Some truth for sure.
    It would be horrible if it happened in camp, or at almost any other time of the year where we have things happening.
    This week or two is a really dead football time for anything 'meaningful', so we got a break and a chance to think and specutate, and yes, some insights on the big picture from others.
    So I can be a little more forgiving of a journalistic gaffe... but I think we can all be in agreement on "Don't let it happen when things get active", we don't want to spend time on BS when there are really things to watch and learn.

Forum was fairly dead, we did get a little spark for whatever that was worth