Looking for Someone with Experience in Copyright Law

Does anyone know under what circumstances you are allowed to use a video clip as part of a larger analysis?

Someone at work said that may not require the consent of the NFL (for example) if it involves the creation of new material. Obviously that sounds kind of fishy since I could add a 10 sec clip of my dog to the end of a Ravens game and sell that, but he insists it may be possible to take clips if new material is added.

Edit: I found this reference

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/h...7----000-.html

Re: Looking for Someone with Experience in Copyright Law

My two cents (from my amazing half year of law school at U of Baltimore)....

The NFL has an amazing legal team and have done a great job enforcing copyright on places such as YouTube. I can bet you use any clip from an NFL game and they catch wind of it, you will get a cease and desist letter.

Adding on to a new clip that is NFL property is the copyright equivilant to you adding a deck to your neighbors house, on his property, and expecting him to not care while you lay there catching some sun.

Re: Looking for Someone with Experience in Copyright Law

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Adding on to a new clip that is NFL property is the copyright equivilant to you adding a deck to your neighbors house, on his property, and expecting him to not care while you lay there catching some sun.
    Well done! :respect

- C -