Blog Entries

Thumbs up 24x7 Article: Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - Ravens shake up secondary - Baltimore signs Walls, cuts Winborne (5/21)

We have just posted a new article by Carroll County Times writer Aaron Wilson on the main 24x7 page.

Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - Ravens shake up secondary - Baltimore signs Walls, cuts Winborne (5/21)

Link to the complete article...

Link to the main 24x7 page-you won't believe how much Ravens info is there!!

This thread is created automatically by Admin Steve's RSS robots. It will remain stickied for 6 hours and then drop down. You are welcome to discuss the article right here on the 24x7 Message Boards. In this very thread if you want.

GO RAVENS!

Re: 24x7 Article: Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - Ravens shake up secondary - Baltimore signs Walls, cuts Winborne (5/2

Good signing. He'll be a #4 CB and has up-side. Nothing bad about this move...

- C -

Re: 24x7 Article: Inside the Ravens with Aaron Wilson - Ravens shake up secondary - Baltimore signs Walls, cuts Winborne (5/2

Where on earth is this upside you speak of? If he can't stick on rosters lke the Rams, Chiefs, Broncos etc. What makes you think he's gonna stick here? All these moves tell me is that they're more confident giving Nakamura and Zbikowski an almost free run to the roster but aren't confident with the likes of Martin and Pittman having no veteran competition for the final CB spot.

That's what I'm seeing /\

Bopth rookie safeties are likely to make the tean with no competition, but Martin and Pittman have a semi-uphill battle. I guess if they can't beat out some of these stiffs we are bringing in, then they should be cut.

Blog Entries

At least it shows me they are trying.

I know we got real tired last year of watching toast happen after the starting CBs went down.
    Management organization was a little hampered with the coaching change, so Gaston was tendered. My guess is just to hold options until Harbs and his new staff could evaluate and decide. We saw the tender withdrawn, so 1 CB gone. Now we see another gone.
    This is before any competition in camp, so my guess is that Rex has some major imput in the recommendation.
    Now we have added 2 "re-treads" which at the very least, can't be worse than what be saw last year, and maybe a whole lot better.
    I can see a dogfight in camp for the CB spots now.
    Martin, Pittman, Ivy, Prude, Washington, Walls, and Frank Walker...
    with the rookie safties probably going to be contributors on special teams (another reason our leading ST tackler was expendable), these 7 aren't going to be making the team just because they can play on ST. It is going to come down to who is best for the secondary.
    Martin and Pittman ain't going to be going up against inexperienced rookies, they better have done things to improve in the offseason, it is going to be an interesting sidelight to watch in pre-season.

If, part way through the season, we look back on this move and feel it was important. . .

It will mean the season has gone down the tubes.

I am sure they had a reason for this move, I strongly suspect they know for whatever reason Winborne won't cut it. I have no confidence that Walls is more than a camp body while they look for better options.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Starks couldn't stick on a roster either but was practically all pro here. This defense has ways of making bad players look good. Upside.

This guy's costing us nothing. Maybe he's camp fodder, but what's bad about this move?

- C -

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    Starks couldn't stick on a roster either but was practically all pro here. This defense has ways of making bad players look good. Upside.

This guy's costing us nothing. Maybe he's camp fodder, but what's bad about this move?

- C -
    I never said it was a bad move, just that it is a move that is of little consequence and is merely changing where the camp battles are.

Notice that the article said that he struggles in single coverage, that's exactly what we run here, all the time, with no exception. It's what got our depth guys hung out to dry last year and it'll what gets Walls hung out to dry if he makes the roster and is pressed into major playing time.

This defence does not make bad players look good, particularly at corner, it is dependent upon good players at corner because they are stuck out an island for most of the game. Now the Patriots cover scheme in contrast, I'm pretty sure that could absorb you or me at corner because they use smoke and mirrors to allow guys like Earthwind Moreland look half way competent.

I like increasing the competition. They added a lot of depth to the weak spots last year other than TE.

He was a very promising talent at one point early on in KC. He has great size, and that is something we lacked. He could provide that crucial coverage on a tall WR late in the season. Or He may not make the team if the returning guys step up, but the competition will be good fun to watch.