Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry Fed Up - Stem Cells

Scientists have found a new method of obtaining embryonic stem cells without destroying the embryo: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14481692/

The new method works by taking an embryo at a very early stage of development and removing a single cell, which can be coaxed into spawning an embryonic stem cell line. With only one cell removed, the rest of the embryo retains its full potential for development.
    Problem solved, right?
    Think again:

Some stem cell researchers complain that the new approach, though it may hold future promise, simply isn’t as efficient as their current method of creating stem cells. That procedure involves the destruction of embryos after about five days of development, when they consist of about 100 cells.
    Well, boo hoo.

What about the pro-life side? Are they happy?

Meanwhile, hard-line opponents of stem cell science argue that the technique solves nothing, because even the single cell removed by the new approach could theoretically grow into a full-fledged human.
    :grbac:

NEWSFLASH: people will have to compromise here. If one side runs roughshod over the other, we'll have another purely political issue that will be a constant source of argument and hard feelings, just like abortion. The actual science of the thing will be secondary. I'm for standing on principle as much as the next guy, but some people need to just...grow up!!!

What does Bush say? According to the article, he called this "a step in the right direction."
    Last edited by RavenMad2099; 08-23-2006 at 06:50 PM.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    © 2007 DRayRaven Enterprises™. All rights reserved, patent pending.
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

2. Re: Fed Up - Stem Cells

I'm very much anti-embryonic stem cell research in its current method of harvesting them, but completely support this new technique of obtaining them. It is a cell obtained from a living, developing human being - without destroying that living, developing human being.

Scientists who are opposed to this have an agenda that clearly goes beyond science and embryonic stem cell research.

Blog Entries

Re: Fed Up - Stem Cells

Neither Congress nor any administration has ever prohibited private funding of embryonic research. Public and private funding of adult stem cell research has no restriction whatsoever.

This should preface any discussion on this subject IMO.
    Admin Steve :uk:
    Screwing up Ravens message boards since 1999.

Neither Congress nor any administration has ever prohibited private funding of embryonic research. Public and private funding of adult stem cell research has no restriction whatsoever.
    Yes, and the article makes an allusion to their search for private funding...which is exactly ass-backwards, if you ask me. If the prospects for useful medical advances were as imminent as the media often claims, private funds shouldn't be hard to come by. Instead, they hold their hand palm up to the federal government first.

From a constitutional standpoint, we shouldn't spend federal dollars on this at all. Not one red cent. I see no provision anywhere that authorizes the funding of medical research. From a short-term political perspective, some sort of compromise will have to be made.

Changing people's expectations of the federal government will be a long-term process, requiring intensive education in government, civics, and our own US Constitution from elementary school on up before people see that it isn't the government's job to provide funding for everything from scientific research to retirement benefits. This will have to be done at a local level, where responsibility for education is supposed to reside.

At one time, it was considered beyond the federal government's perogative to provide disaster relief. Today, there's hardly anything the government doesn't spend money on.

Pah! Stem cell research, abortion, SS, welfare, healthcare, and a myriad of other programs/proposals should never even come up as subjects for debate or funding at the national level.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™
    The contents of this post may not be reproduced in whole or in part without the express written consent
    of DRayRaven, ProFootball 24x7, the Baltimore Ravens, the National Football League, or related entities.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Well, since you guys summed up my position completely I really can add nothing of substance. Shouldn't be funded by the Feds for Consitutional reasons but this method seems to be fine in terms of protecting life and there is no reason why it should be objected to.

Privately funded reasearch means that once break-throughs are made they will only be available to those who can afford to pay those private companies prices. The Government must be involved on some level to ensure that all humans can benefit from this research, not just the rich ones.

That's a very nice sentiment there, but where is the federal government's authority to "ensure that all humans can benefit" from stem cell research (or any other scientific research, for that matter)?

Besides, they won't. The scientists researching this work for companies and corporations driven by a profit...and so do the doctors in the hospitals who will administer the benefits of this research. That won't change just because the federal government throws some money their way...and I, as a taxpayer, have no interest in paying people's healthcare bills if that's what it comes to.

BTW...more gets done more quickly by people working for a profit than people working for a goverment bureaucracy. If you want waste, inefficiency, and a snail's pace, let the government handle it. If you want results from stem cell research fast, let the private sector do it.
    THE 2nd WAVE LOYAL™

8. Re: Fed Up - Stem Cells

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown
    Privately funded reasearch means that once break-throughs are made they will only be available to those who can afford to pay those private companies prices. The Government must be involved on some level to ensure that all humans can benefit from this research, not just the rich ones.
    Just because the feds fund the research doesn't necessarily mean that the researcher/s won't patent the findings, which just means that you and I have to pay twice for the breakthrough treatments--we'd pay for the research and the results.

And, if the feds get involved, they would have oversight of all the research being done, which means that they can dictate who is involved in the research, where it is done, how it is done, etc.

The federal government couldn't pull off a one car funeral, but you want them involved in the research for potentially life altering medical advancements? Just look how poorly managed the CDC and NIH are for what lies ahead if the feds get into this equation.

It just doesn't make practical or economic sense for the feds to be involved in medical research...period.

Quote Originally Posted by gooselovechild
    which just means that you and I have to pay twice for the breakthrough treatments--we'd pay for the research and the results.
    Great point.

The federal government couldn't pull off a one car funeral, but you want them involved in the research for potentially life altering medical advancements? Just look how poorly managed the CDC and NIH are for what lies ahead if the feds get into this equation.
    Well, we trust them in so many other areas...how about National Defense as an example. Most of me thinks that the opposition is motivated by moral idealism, not pratical realism.

It just doesn't make practical or economic sense for the feds to be involved in medical research...period.
    But they already are. They fund cancer and AIDS research and no one seems to have a problem with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobtown
    But they already are. They fund cancer and AIDS research and no one seems to have a problem with that.
    I do, I think it sucks.

I do, I think it sucks.

OK, so how about I amend my statement to say that no one speaks out about that.

Stick around here for a while, you will find a few of us who think most of what the Fed Gov does not only sucks, but is unConstitutional.