Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Ray Lewis Contract demands?

I heard on Bruce and Aarons Saturday Football show that Ray has a new agent and they're seeking a Peyton Manning like contract.

That is ludicrous, I guess we'll be seeing Ray play somewhere else next season if these demands are accurate and I believe they are.

Blog Entries

Re: Ray Lewis Contract demands?

As much as I hate to admit it, I disagree...I think SB doesn't meddle much but if it comes down to Ray trying to leave, he will step in and override Oz and Harbs. I think we'll franchise him, he'll come down a step, and we'll come up a flight of stairs to pay him mad money.

I'm torn too...I want Ray to retire a Raven, but not at that type of cost.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

If he wants Peyton Manning money then to be quite frank he won't be playing in the NFL next year unless he brings his contract demands down a bunch. I wouldn't even give him Lofa Tatupu money at this stage of his career. Yes he's an all-time great, yes he's the most identifyable and "greatest" Raven of all time, but it isn't worth pensioning the entire future of the franchise on a player on his down slope.

I'd rather us let him leave than overpay for him to stay at this stage of his career, much as I'd love him to retire a Raven.

I think we'll franchise him, he'll come down a step, and we'll come up a flight of stairs to pay him mad money.

I'm torn too...I want Ray to retire a Raven, but not at that type of cost.
    Not sure what to believe, as these things tend to get twisted out of shape in the press. But if he wants anything close to that kind of payday, I tell him thanks for the memories, pal.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Here we go ....

1. NO agent worth his salt is going to go after "Manning" type money for a 30 something ILB. It's insanely unrealistic and I doubt even Ray thinks he is worth that kind of coin at this stage in his career.

2. I am quite sure they (Ray and his agent) are asking for high dollars -- so what? It's a negotiation. Have any of you bought a house before?

50 things need to happen between now and when he signs and this is only step 5. Not worried at all.

Dude is going to be 33 years old this season. He's delusional if he actually thinks he can get a Peyton Manning like contract (not saying he does...who knows what he really wants).

I'd pay him a reasonable deal to keep him here. But I'm also not interested in breaking the bank for a guy who after this year will be 34, is still a solid player but is clearly on the downward slope, and will have maybe two or three good years left in him. I'd love it if he retires a Raven, but I'm not gonna cry about it if he doesn't cause he wants ridiculous money.

- C -

until Ray speaks I will take this a grain of salt
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

now i am a huge ray lewis fan i think he is the greatest i ever seen play in my time.but more importantly i am a ravens fan first.i want ray to retire a raven more then anyone else to see him in another uniform would break my heart.but i think if he is asking for that kind of money it has to be a joke behind it.the man seems like a smart guy and has a large amount of pride so i dont think it would be crazy if he did ask for the money.im not sure what the market is for a middle line back but i would definetly pay him top 5 money at his postion and give him 3 or 4 year deal.i think at 33 he is still probally the best in the afc at ilb.he still controls the running game and makes alot of play.not to mention his leadership and passion for playing great defense and winning.i think he is still worht top dollar but manning type money i think is steep if this is true.

I find it troubling that the NFl has made player salary fan buis and interest. Ray should get what evr the market says he should when his contract is up. The Ravens should be willing to match any sane offer for him, and I would start off the negotiations with the franchise tag, but that is me. I hope Ray gets paid to stay, but either way he is a Raven for life.

It was widely reported that Ray asked for MORE than Manning money in 2005. (i.e. a $50 million bonus).

We'll see how Ray reacts when his initial proposal gets rebuffed.

PP

Quote Originally Posted by braven98 View Post
    until Ray speaks I will take this a grain of salt

That's why guys hire agents, so they don't have to speak. Why wouldn't ray make such a ridiculous demand after the owner of the team came out and said we would break the bank to keep him?

Look, Ray stays put with the Ravens because we all want him here. The Raven will Pay him what he wants. He's still better than any player we got and please dont tell me *hot sauce* is even in his league.

If they can pay Mcnair a bunch of dough they sure as hell can give the same type of money to someone who is loved and cheerished in these parts.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--