The Good And The Bad (Week 13)

I was so miffed at last night's game that I needed time (to think clearly) before posting this. It is not as if I am paid to do this, nor as if you guys are clamouring for my opinions on this, but if I am going to do this when we win, then I must follow through even with losses.

The Good:

1. We are 9-3! I hate losing any games and especially as we did yesterday, but losses happen in the NFL.

2. It is not as if the Bengals blew us away 30-7. They scored 13 points after scoring 30, 49 and 31 points in the previous three games. Our defense did hold them.

3. As pointed out today, the Ravens, statistically, matched up with the Bengals. Both teams passed for 227 yards, we rushed for more yards, and won the Time of Possession.

4. The team gets to rest for 10 days before taking on the Chiefs.

5. The Bengals will NOT win out. I have ending 1-3 with losses to the Steelers, Broncos, and Colts. That would place them at 8-8. At the same time, I have us finishing out 3-1 with wins against the Steelers, Bills, and Browns. If we beat the Chiefs (it is tough to play in KC), then I will amend it to 4-0.

6. No more Thursday games for us. I will chalk yesterday's game to fatigue.

The Bad:

1. Lack of offensive preparation. We should have been more aggressive passing the ball. We may have thrown an INT, but I think we win that game with a more aggressive passing game. Our offense was Marty-Ballesque.

2. Ed Reed. Someone needs to reel this guy in big time. His free lancing could cost us huge in the post season. Who is Reed playing for? Himself or the team.

3. Steve McNair. He throws an ugly ball when it is dry. Those passes with the wet ball looked as if I was throwing the ball. (Still think we should have passed more, though).

4. Thursday night games. The NFL network should either 86 this bad idea and go with Saturday games, or have teams coming off of bye weeks play in these games. I am not a fan of these Thursday games, either Billick.

5. BJ Sams lost for season. The brightside is that we get to see Cory Ross, who I think will be better in the long run. Ross has that explosiveness to take one to the house. That said, it is sad to see Sams go out like that.

6. Bryant Dumbell. Someone put a muzzle in that oreo cookie.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Re: The Good And The Bad (Week 13)

Great Post, PurpleRulz !!

Oreo cookie, hahaha. Sounds like Kermit the Frog.

I think the worst "bad" element was the time management in the fourth quarter. More than anything else, it squandered precious time that we needed to have later on during the final drive. Huddling up; walking up the the line as if it were the first quarter, etc., is just flat out bad. And this problem persists week after week after week.

GO RAVENS!!!

Great post, PR. Especially the point about Ed Reed freelancing. And maybe McAlister to stop spying on the QB and start covering his assignment.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    The Bengals will NOT win out. I have ending 1-3 with losses to the Steelers, Broncos, and Colts. That would place them at 8-8.
    Nice thought, but I cannot see it. Especially the Bengals losing to the Steelers. I'd be very, very happy to see the Bengals lose to the Irsays and Broncos, but a Bengals road split is the best that I can see, the way both teams appear to be fading. If the Bengals finish out at 3-1, the Ravens need just 2-2 to win the Division.

The Bengals appear to be on a roll right now. Carson Palmer is the top QB in the NFL right now, IMHO, and Marvin Lewis is rolling the dice by going to a pass-first, maximum protection of the QB approach.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz View Post
    I have us finishing out 3-1 with wins against the Steelers, Bills, and Browns.
    If our teams goes 3-1, it wouldn't matter what the Bengals do.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

To "the bad" I would add that pathetic onside kick attempt by Stover at the end of the game. I'm not pretending the outcome hinged on that play, but seriously, have you ever seen such a easy kick to cover? Matt may as well have just walked over to that Bengal and handed him the ball.

Back on the positive side, in spite of this loss we now have the number one defense in the league, just ahead of the Bears.

If the offense continues to perform like that...the playoffs will be short and sweet.

The game plan sucked, the line sucked, Jamal sucked and so did McNair.

I'll chalk it up to the short week and Billick getting a little cocky....but I better see BIG improvements vs KC.

FM

If the offense continues to perform like that...the playoffs will be short and sweet.
    If the playoffs are short, they won't be sweet

I don't think the line sucked, I don't think Jamal sucked. I do think the schemes -- O & D -- sucked. And I think McNair sucked. If we can upgrade against KC, we'll be solid.

GO RAVENS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by skaybaltimore View Post
    I don't think the line sucked, I don't think Jamal sucked. I do think the schemes -- O & D -- sucked. And I think McNair sucked. If we can upgrade against KC, we'll be solid.

GO RAVENS!!!
    The issue with McNair is simple. That guy throws an ugly ball when it is dry. Add the fact that the ball is wet, and things get even uglier. With the dry conditions come Sunday -and hopefully from here on out- McNair can make his ugly yet accurate throws with dry balls.
    It's a new season! It's a new day!