Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

80 Man Roster Limit

With the new 80 Man Roster Limit, I think the Ravens will have to make some moves to accomodate all the UDFA, and the recent FA pickups. The Draft and Fabian Washington left us at 70 players on the roster. This total counts all the EFA's (I am counting all the EFA that were tendered prior to March 1).

This week we have signed S Jim Leonhard, and WR Kerry Reed, bringing the total to 72.

From reading all the threads here we have signed about 13 UDFA maybe even more, they are not officially signed yet, bc the Ravens always wait a while before announcing them. I would think they would announce it prior to next weeks Rookie Mini Camp, since they would prob have to be under contract to practice.

The total I have counts Ogden, since he is still under contract, so I think if he retired that would open up a spot. The only reason i say that is bc a few weeks ago the Packers changed Favre's status to take him off the 80 man, so if Ogden retires, he has to retire AND go on the Retire List.

Since this 80 man limit is a hard total, I am guessing some decisions will have to be made soon on who is on the roster or not, the easiest way is to not sign all the EFAs, but in the past few weeks they have been signing. Maybe they are doing that to help the EFA financially, if they end up cutting him later.

Another point, Suggs probably does not presently count as on the roster, as he has not signed his Franchise tender, so that would keep a spot open for a while, since there is no resolution in his case, and no definite date it will be heard.

Blog Entries

Re: 80 Man Roster Limit

The team has made some moves, but yep, sure is hard to keep up with the shuffle.
    I know I saw a blurb somewhere that the tender offer was withdrawn for Willie Gaston. And I think the Philly kicker is gone also.

Holding somebody in a slot that you know will be used by someone else later (e.g. Suggs) at least gets a quick look/evaluation.

Whose job is it to keep the accurate count? The people who handle the cap or someone else?

Yes, I took them off the roster before the draft, so they are not in my 72. I am not sure who keeps track of it, but as of now only the top 51 Salary Cap Numbers count, so it is not a cap issue.

They have not officially signed the UDFA's yet, bc historically they do not sign them right away, but I would think they will have to get rid of some guys to get under 80, this weeks camp may be an outlet to do that.

On the Ravens show last Sat., Aaron said Cochrane shanked some kicks at the pre draft camp, and they cut him last week.

I have tracked the roster since 1997, and right now I have 85 on the roster, which includes 13 UDFAs. Could get 1 more if they sign the QB they are trying out. And yes, JO is still on the roster as he has not officially retired.

They do not have to cut to 80. The Collective Bargaining Agreement permits certain exemptions, like last year it was NFL Europe for one (which does not exist any more). I wouldn't be surprised if some other exception has cropped up since NFLE is gone, but no word yet.

Also, many years a cut or two has come after the minicamp, when they see guys who are not up to snuff physically, or mentally. They cold also put Sypniewski on the IR, as it seems his injury is serious, although rarely do they do that until the lower roster limits kick in, in August. But they could.

They could also put somebody on the Physically Unable to Perform list, although that also usually doesn't happen until training camp. Anyone on the PUP is also exempted from the roster limit. As you may recall, JO, Dan Cody, Justin Green, Mike Kracalik and Mike Smith started camp on the PUP.

PS in past years the Ravens signed the UDFAs first day of minicamp when they reported. It is funny they did not announce them this year yet, but maybe with new coaches or in fact knowing they might have to cut someone for roster limits, maybe they are holding out ont he contracts. The draftees don't have contracts either of course.

PPS - Cochrane was cut April 23.

I do not think there are any exemptions this year, the owners agreed on a 80 man limit.

Good point about the draftees not counting yet since that have not signed. We usually do not announce the UDFA until the first minicamp, which is this Friday. And they always announce them all at once.

Quote Originally Posted by gusbus52 View Post
    Good point about the draftees not counting yet since that have not signed. We usually do not announce the UDFA until the first minicamp, which is this Friday. And they always announce them all at once.
    Yeah, I'm not sure how the draft picks work, because while not signed, they are held by a tender of the rookie minimum. Whether that tender means the count toward the roster at this point remains to be seen?

BTW, I don't know if you guys are still counting him or not, but McNair is still officially on the roster. Either they haven't decided how to handle his retirement yet, he hasn't filed his retirement yet or they are waiting on something else to happen (JO's returning or not or an extension for Suggs) to decide which way to process his retirement.
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-04-2008 at 02:01 PM.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

I do not have McNair included in my total of 72 (# of players before UDFA). I still have Ogden Included. But McNair still may technically if his retirement has not processed.

A few weeks ago the Packers transferred Favre to a retired list, so it technically keeps him on their roster, but he does not count against the 80. I would expect us to do the same thing with McNair until everything gets filed and processed.

A few weeks ago the Packers transferred Favre to a retired list, so it technically keeps him on their roster, but he does not count against the 80. I would expect us to do the same thing with McNair until everything gets filed and processed.
    Actually, once added to the retired list, the bonus money accelerates. If the Ravens intend to take McNair as a post-June 1 transaction, they will have to keep him on the roster until after June 1 or release him prior to that and use one of their June 1 exemptions.

I'm not sure they are planning on doing that, but given that nothing has been done yet, it sort of leads me to believe that they may be waiting to see what happens with JO. IMO, short of an extension being reached with Suggs, either JO or McNair has to be handled as a post-June 1 transaction in order to have enough cap space to get the draft picks signed and have a little wiggle room going into the season.

All the retired list really does is allow a team to retain that player's rights if the player decided to "unretire".
    Last edited by B-more Ravor; 05-04-2008 at 09:32 PM.

What the Packers did was put him on the reserved/retired list, it took him off the 80 man roster, while he still has not filed his papers.

For now we would all have to assume McNair is still on the 80 man roster, although the NFL does not have to be notified of such a change to the reserve/retired list.

We should have a better idea of the 80 man roster when the Mandatory camp starts this week.

What the Packers did was put him on the reserved/retired list, it took him off the 80 man roster, while he still has not filed his papers.

For now we would all have to assume McNair is still on the 80 man roster, although the NFL does not have to be notified of such a change to the reserve/retired list.

We should have a better idea of the 80 man roster when the Mandatory camp starts this week.

Understood. I was just point out that since they have yet to make any move to put McNair on the retired list, he may end up remaining on the roster until they decide how they are going to handle him from a cap perspective. Once he's added to the reserved/retired list, then the cap implications follow, so they may end up waiting until June to make a move with him since they are still waiting on JO's decision (and it seems that those decisions may be somewhat intertwined).

FYI - This article indicates that unsigned players do not count toward the 80-man limit, so our draft picks and Suggs would not count at this time.

As such, it would appear that no roster moves are needed.

Bump.......

I thought I'd resurrect this thread, since at this point, the Ravens have 86 players on the roster.

Assuming all of the rookies are signed on time, they are going to have to trim 6 players before camp (although, I guess if a couple of guys end up on PUP, they wouldn't have to cut as many as 6 since players on PUP do not count against the 80-man limit).