Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Barlow Compares 49ers Coach Nolan to Hitler

Just saw this on the Web:

http://sports.excite.com/news/08232006/v4003.html

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -Jets running back Kevan Barlow apologized to 49ers coach Mike Nolan for comparing him to Adolf Hitler in a newspaper interview.

Barlow, who was traded from San Francisco to New York on Sunday for a fourth-round pick, made his inflammatory comments to the Contra Costa Times in Wednesday's editions. Jets coach Eric Mangini said Wednesday he has spoken with Barlow, and the player is sorry for what he said.

"I thought his comments were inappropriate," Mangini said. "After he said it, he wished he could have those words back. But he can't. Kevan has already called coach Nolan to talk to him about that, which I think is important."

Barlow was upset with the trade, mainly because Nolan assured him he wouldn't be dealt. He told the newspaper Nolan was a "first-time head coach with too much power."

"He walks around with a chip on his shoulder, like he's a dictator, like he's Hitler," Barlow told the paper. "People are scared of him. If it ain't Nolan's way, it's the highway."

Perhaps Coach Mike is turning those 49ers into a real team again. :hammer:
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Blog Entries

Re: Barlow Compares 49ers Coach Nolan to Hitler

or perhaps Barlow needs to go to anger management...or just think before he opens his mouth
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

You're right about that, and I'd like to see Nolan do well out west, until they play us, that is.
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Barlow just couldn't deal with Nolan's system. So he had to say something. The 49ers are on their way back at least Barlow won't be part of it.

Hey Barlow :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
    Last edited by Sports Steve; 08-23-2006 at 03:46 PM.

Barlow was just PO because he got replaced by Gore who is the better back anyway.

Nolan is a good man and I wish him the best in SF.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

:insane:

What a fool!

He sure never showwed any Hitler-like tendancies when he was in Baltimore. As I recall many thought he was too soft. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Barlow is a guy who thinks WAY too much of himself. He didn't want to put in the hard work that Nolan demanded and was shipped out. SF gave him a nice contract and he hasn't come close to living up to it.

Nolan holds his players accountable and demands they act like responsible adults.

What a novel idea.

PP

I just read a little blurb the other day that indicated that most people in the league (I think they were talking about FO types, not players) think that Barlow is a jerk. This pretty much seems consistent with that train of thought.

Public relations rule #1: Never say the word "Hitler". Ever.
    ERIG20, your local draftnik

Signature currently under construction

I seem to remember some quiet stories about the other coaches not liking Nolan when he was here. It seems he was overbearing and arrogant, especially with the coaches on the O side of the ball.

He and Ray Lewis had issues, too. Remember the game where Nolan had to get Singletary to settle Ray down?

"He walks around with a chip on his shoulder, like he's a dictator, like he's Hitler," Barlow told the paper. "People are scared of him. If it ain't Nolan's way, it's the highway."
    Sometimes I think that society is getting out of hand with this PC crap. Hitler is almost universally looked at as a prototype dictator. So calling Nolan a Hitler doesn't mean that he necessarily slaughtered millions.

Barlow was pissed off. Put it in perspective.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012