Thumbs up Navy - Terps rematch in Meineke Bowl?

So sez Yahoo Sports, in their bowl projections.

I'm half tempted to snag a flight to Charlotte for this one on December 30th. Navy-Maryland in 2005 at Ravens Stadium was one of the best college games I've ever seen. Both home teams have been very exciting all season. A rematch would be special.

Edit: Similar speculation in the Baltimore Examiner:

Despite this classic football contest, there are some people out there — including my colleague Matt Palmer, who wrote a column on it Wednesday — who think Maryland should steer clear from a bowl contest against Navy, the rationale being Maryland has nothing to gain by playing an “inferior” Navy squad.

..... Does Maryland have stronger, faster and more talented players than those at Navy? Yes. But that doesn’t mean the Terps are a better team. Navy’s disciplined approach and its hard-to-defend triple-option offense give the Mids a chance to win every week, especially at a neutral site.

Here’s the best part about this debate: It can be easily resolved if Maryland receives and accepts a bid to play in Charlotte. Whether Maryland is willing to take that risk is something that we’ll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Mista T; 12-01-2006 at 12:25 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Navy - Terps rematch in Meineke Bowl?

This would be a lose, lose situation for Maryland in my opinion and it's a matchup I'm praying we're able to avoid.

It's not a prestige matchup to attract attention, it's not a trip to a bigger bowl (well the team blew that for themselves), it's not a trip into prime recruiting grounds like the Champs Sports Bowl would be and it's also a game that this team with its ineptitude in run defense can easily lose. If UMD were to lose to Navy they'd get absolutely taken to pieces for it, if they win, well they're supposed to have won.

Most Terps fans I know are praying for either a matchup in Orlando with Purdue in the Champs Sports Bowl, or a trip to Nashville for the Music City Bowl against possibly South Carolina. Though many are fearful this is the direction we're headed.

For a one off game it'd be fun (though the triple option may well give this run D fits) but for the wider implications of recruiting and what a better bowl game could do for this Maryland team, I hope we're able to avoid it (though I don't think we will).

Didn't happen :

Navy vs. Boston College in the Meineke Carcare Bowl in Charlotte, NC on Saturday Dec 30th.

Maryland vs. Purdue in the Champs Sports Bowl on Friday, Dec. 29nd in Orlando, Fla.

Anyway: now we have two college bowl games of local interest.
    Last edited by Mista T; 12-04-2006 at 10:45 AM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Happy it turned out this way for the reasons I put above.

Best of luck to the Mids in Charlotte, will be a very tough game, BC always come prepared for Bowl Games, I think they have the longest active winning streak in bowl games at about five I think it is, possibly eight, the last bowl season was a long time ago lol.

Very happy for the Terps to get that trip to Orlando to play Purdue, should be a decent game and a good chance to pick up the win as well.