Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: QB Evaluation

Re: QB Evaluation

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    I also think McGahee and Rice are gonna do the real damage on offense. anyway
    I think most should have no problem agreeing with this part....

Wink Re: QB Evaluation

I, for one, don't think it is a problem if he is utilized properly.
    "If he is utilized properly", the entire offensive scheme would have to change. Away from defending the tall guys (Boller, then Flacco) who can stand back in the pocket and actually see their receivers downfield.

That is a major reason why Smith will not start. Along with his inaccuracy and being fumble-prone.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I agree, to be utilized properly includes a VERY bootleg heavy system, and I haven't seen much From Smith actually throwing the ball once out of the pocket. I haven't seen him even look downfield when out of the pocket, he looks at the ground, tucks the bal and runs for his life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I agree, to be utilized properly includes a VERY bootleg heavy system, and I haven't seen much From Smith actually throwing the ball once out of the pocket. I haven't seen him even look downfield when out of the pocket, he looks at the ground, tucks the bal and runs for his life.
    Funny thing about that comment was it could apply to Boller too.

Funny thing about that comment was it could apply to Boller too.
    To a much lesser extent. Funny thing is, now that I think about it, most of my "venom" agasint Smith comes from comparing him with Matt Ryan when I was championing him. To me they are pretty much Polar opposites. What I saw from Ryan that make me feel he has "IT" is the same stuff Troy is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    "If he is utilized properly", the entire offensive scheme would have to change. Away from defending the tall guys (Boller, then Flacco) who can stand back in the pocket and actually see their receivers downfield. .
    LMAO , you make it sound as though boller is some down field gunslinger. His YPA was horrible last year but then again Boller is horrible.

That is a major reason why Smith will not start. Along with his inaccuracy and being fumble-prone.
    Boller is accurate and not fumble prone? You're clueless or pulling the fanbases leg.

Thank God the Ravens front office has come to the conclusion that Boller is in over his head as a starter in this league and has made moves that will eventually sever ties with this guy.. Boller is nothing more than 2 blown first day picks.

Blog Entries

To a much lesser extent. Funny thing is, now that I think about it, most of my "venom" agasint Smith comes from comparing him with Matt Ryan when I was championing him. To me they are pretty much Polar opposites. What I saw from Ryan that make me feel he has "IT" is the same stuff Troy is missing.
    There's no need for "venom" against Smith. He was a 5th round pick and there wasn't much to expect out of him anyway. Basically, he can only go "up" and if the team decides to keep him this year (which I hope they do) he'll have even more experience.

Do you think that if Boller is named the starter that Smith or Flacco should be the #2 man? I personally think it should be Smith simply because he's got more experience in big games (college and pro) and I'd like to see Flacco sit for most the year, if not all of it. Plus, our last 6 teams on the schedule are pretty good this year.

There's no need for "venom" against Smith. He was a 5th round pick and there wasn't much to expect out of him anyway. Basically, he can only go "up" and if the team decides to keep him this year (which I hope they do) he'll have even more experience.

Do you think that if Boller is named the starter that Smith or Flacco should be the #2 man? I personally think it should be Smith simply because he's got more experience in big games (college and pro) and I'd like to see Flacco sit for most the year, if not all of it. Plus, our last 6 teams on the schedule are pretty good this year.
    I put "Venom" in quotes because I have to defend the fact that I think he isn't likely to be a Pro-bowler...

I think Flacco should be the number three until after the bye week, but should be taking the snaps of the number 2 QB in practice from day 1, no matter who is the starter. He will be our QB next year, and maybe even later this year, he needs the practice more then anyone.

Not piling on Jonboy because I like most of what he posts....

There's no need for "venom" against Smith. He was a 5th round pick and there wasn't much to expect out of him anyway. Basically, he can only go "up" and if the team decides to keep him this year (which I hope they do) he'll have even more experience. .
    I hear you 4G, Smith cost the ravens a 5th round compensitory pick. The Ravens have virtually nothing invested in him on the other hand there's another quarterback in town the team has...
    - wasted this team um-teen million dollars
    -hundreds of hours of trying to coach him up
    -god knows how many coaches he's been through trying to make him a contributer instead of a liability
    -a first and second round draft pick
    more than likely atleast one quality player and contributer to this team that would have been picked with one of those two picks
    -atleast one Pro Bowl quarterback.
    countless games, stellar defense and seasons wasted.

I personally think it should be Smith simply because he's got more experience in big games (college and pro) and I'd like to see Flacco sit for most the year, if not all of it. Plus, our last 6 teams on the schedule are pretty good this year.
    Again I agree. In Smiths short audition last season he's shown more promise than boller ever has. Boller would have put up horrible stats against both teams in the rain, not to mention Boller has trouble putting up pedestrian numbers against some of the NFLs worst defenses.

On the road??? The Ravens have no chance to win with Kyle Boller unless the defense carries the day and scores points, more than likely two scores.

This November 14 will be 4 friggin years since Boller won on the road and that was against a backup quarterback.... get real........
    Last edited by RustonRifle; 05-07-2008 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

I put "Venom" in quotes because I have to defend the fact that I think he isn't likely to be a Pro-bowler...
    He doesn't have to be a Pro-Bowler....just manage the game. I think we can agree to disagree on Smith, right?!? I just like the kid and would like to see him get some games under his belt so we know what he can and can't do. I'd just hate see him not get any regular season game time and we release him and he shows he can play, but with another team. Sort of like the Derek Anderson mistake. Obviously, time will tell!!

I think Flacco should be the number three until after the bye week, but should be taking the snaps of the number 2 QB in practice from day 1, no matter who is the starter. He will be our QB next year, and maybe even later this year, he needs the practice more then anyone.
    with that statement.

He doesn't have to be a Pro-Bowler....just manage the game. I think we can agree to disagree on Smith, right?!? I just like the kid and would like to see him get some games under his belt so we know what he can and can't do. I'd just hate see him not get any regular season game time and we release him and he shows he can play, but with another team. Sort of like the Derek Anderson mistake. Obviously, time will tell!!

with that statement.

No he doesn't have to be a pro-bowler. really I'll be happy with solid backup. It's funny, less then a year ago I was a Troy "supporter" because I wanted to see what he had, and last seasn was already beat. We saw a little bit, and I saw some things that led me to believe he might be a backup in this league, which I thought was a positive assessment. After that little, poor to average action I was gettign blasted for not ASSUMING he would be the starter and take this team to the playoffs. I understand we have low expectations around here, but I really DON'T THINK Troy has what it takes to be a starter, but feel that coming in cold off the bench that he has good value to stimulate an offense. I think his game is more suited to play backup, as teams will VERY EASILY be able to scheme him back into the pocket, where his kryptonite is.

Now all of that leads me to an open camp competition. If Troy wins, or is EVEN CLOSE, he should start. He is an unknown quantity signed beyond this year. Kyle is a "somewhat" known quantity, that is scheduled to be purged after this season. That said, i have a hard time believing that Troy will win, and that says what you want it to say. I think of it as a slight endorsement for the inconsistant blunder-boy, and a slight shot at wonder-midget.

I fully believe that Joe Flacco will give us the best chance of winning, before the year is out.

12. Re: QB Evaluation

"If he is utilized properly", the entire offensive scheme would have to change. Away from defending the tall guys (Boller, then Flacco) who can stand back in the pocket and actually see their receivers downfield.

But that's Cam's specialty. He excels at adjusting his scheme and playcalling to play to the strengths of the guys on the field. Thats why ,minus his time in Miami, he's been so successful at developing QB. Changing the scheme isnt going to be a big deal because it will change anyway, no matter who starts. Flacco and Boller dont have the exact same strenghts and weaknesses, so the way Cam uses them wont be the same either.