Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Could or would they go after refund of Mcnair's bonus?

I stand corrected ...

I need to lay off the noon beers if I decide to visit the threads. :)

Ah, that could do it. again, NP, we ALL do it soemtime or another.

Beer + Caps Playoff game = not a good time to type

Wink Re: Could or would they go after refund of Mcnair's bonus?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Somehow, if this were Ray Lewis, T wouldn't give a you know what about recovering any money.
    I guess that's where I part ways with some other fans. As much as I may like any individual athlete, the salary cap has to be viewed from strictly a business point of view. It doesn't matter to me that it's McNair -- I just want that cap money rebated.

Ray Lewis is a Baltimore icon, revered in the same league as Johnny U, Gino Marchetti, Raymond Berry, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Boog, and Cal Ripken. Nonetheless, when it comes to our salary cap, if Ray were to pull a similar move as McNair, I would feel the same way. i.e. he would be a retired athlete keeping money that should be in the team's resources, under the salary cap, to acquire new players.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Whatever .... I guess I shouldn't have used the example of reinvesting the refunded bonus $$ into a QB.

(btw: Sage Rosenfels? he sucks! )
    Rosenfels had some very, very good games for the Texans this year deputising for Matt Schaub with such luminaries as Andre Davis and Kevin Walter as his #1 and #2 receiver with Andre Johnson missing much of the season. He's not a long term fix to the position but for this year he's better than either of the guys we've got on the roster right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UKRavenStockers
    He's not a long term fix to the position but for this year he's better than either of the guys we've got on the roster right now.
    I think Rosenfels is okay but whether or not he's better than what we have now is debatable, IMO. But as you said, he's no long term fix, so I'd pass on him (and any other vet QB) and draft someone in the first or second round, and take another shot at a QB for the future. We don't need a stopgap QB like Rosenfels for this season. It's not like we are Super Bowl contenders, coming off a 5-11 season with a new coaching staff, so this seems like a very good time to spend a high draft pick on a QB.

I guess that's where I part ways with some other fans. As much as I may like any individual athlete, the salary cap has to be viewed from strictly a business point of view. It doesn't matter to me that it's McNair -- I just want that cap money rebated.
    Teams rarely do it because it may have future adverse implications when other players are considering signing. If the player thinks the team might come after the bonus money, they may be less likely to agree to a deal. Players, agents and the NFLPA would remember such a hard lined stance.

The only occasions I can recall teams seeking refunds were Sanders, Ricky Williams, Plummer and Vick. All of those were unique circumstances and none were remotely similar to the retirement of a 35-year old QB. Age and injury history make this one, a "justified" retirement, as opposed to the other situations, which were more "premature" retirements.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Teams rarely do it because it may have future adverse implications when other players are considering signing. If the player thinks the team might come after the bonus money, they may be less likely to agree to a deal. Players, agents and the NFLPA would remember such a hard lined stance.

The only occasions I can recall teams seeking refunds were Sanders, Ricky Williams, Plummer and Vick. All of those were unique circumstances and none were remotely similar to the retirement of a 35-year old QB. Age and injury history make this one, a "justified" retirement, as opposed to the other situations, which were more "premature" retirements.
    That was basically what I was trying to say.

Anyway, there isn't anyone out there that I think is significantly better than what we have out there now...Cullpepper? Leftwich?

We are drafting a QB this year...and we are not going to cut Smith. So there are 2 spots locked up at QB. So the question would be would you cut Boller for Cullpepper/Leftwich/any other FA QB out there?

There are no Pass rushers or CB's out there...those are premium positions that get snapped up quick.

Just about all quality FA's are gone.

Ray Lewis is a Baltimore icon, revered in the same league as Johnny U, Gino Marchetti, Raymond Berry, Brooks & Frank Robinson, Boog, and Cal Ripken. Nonetheless, when it comes to our salary cap, if Ray were to pull a similar move as McNair, I would feel the same way. i.e. he would be a retired athlete keeping money that should be in the team's resources, under the salary cap, to acquire new players.
    What "move" did McNair pull?

He retired before any mini camp. He didn't try to hold on to a false hope and force the team's hand by either cutting him or reluctantly starting him week 1.

Pardon me for laughing at the idea that somehow McNair is getting the same treatment from you that other players would get. You bashed McNair from day 1 and never let it go. We all knew that McNair was a 2 year guy (MAX 3).

You got your wish. He's gone. Stop acting like he pulled some "move" on the team.

Maybe your favorite QB should give some of his bonus back for piss poor play for an entire career.

PP

Mcnair didn't pull any move. He simply could no longer play the game at a high level. You have to respect him for knowing when to call it quits. It's better that he let the Ravens know his plans in a timely manner unlike a certain icon of this team.

[QUOTE=Raveninwoodlawn;80377]That was basically what I was trying to say.

Anyway, there isn't anyone out there that I think is significantly better than what we have out there now...Cullpepper? Leftwich?

We are drafting a QB this year...and we are not going to cut Smith. So there are 2 spots locked up at QB. So the question would be would you cut Boller for Cullpepper/Leftwich/any other FA QB out there?
    QUOTE]

Ozzie has on more than on occasion recently commented on FA QB's. I am not sure what his strategy is about making the comments...if he seriously intends to pick up a FA QB or if there is a bluff there to facilitate a move in the draft. Something is going on though.

I will be waiting to hear T's thread on going after JO's bonus money after pulling his "retirement" move while he still had a contract.

If you wanted McNair gone, he is gone...let him ride off to the sunset in peace.