Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT / Best Crab House

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Puke!

I ended up pissing out of my ass all three times!
    I had the same result eating crab cakes at the Rusty Scupper 3 different times! Luckily at the time, I worked at the MD Science Center and BARELY made it back there.

okay, maybe TMI....
    "I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused" - Elvis Costello

Hey Mista T,
    How are the crabs at Buddy's in Annapolis?

Buddy's is a tourist trap. We used to have several good crabhouses in Annapolis when I grew up, but yuppie restaurants replaced them all.

The crabber's co-op (McNasby's) in Eastport got destroyed by Hurricane Isabel. If it ever comes back, that was the undiscovered jewel -- fresh off the boat (no middleman) softcrab or crabcake sandwiches for $5.00. But, last I heard, it's still being rebuilt.

Honestly, although I am a born & bred Annapolitan and support our local businesses, I admit that I wouldn't go anywhere in downtown Annapolis for crabs anymore. It's either Mike's on the South River or Cantler's off Whitehall Bay (much better value). Or go over to the Eastern Shore.

:greece
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Fallston Seafood
    Living in Houston, Tx....still living, eating, breathing the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by TRAP View Post
    What, no Crab Cake Facotry in Annapolis? I thought Teddy owned the bldg or used to.
    It's no longer called the Crabcake Factory, and they did not have hardcrabs, anyway. (btw, Trap: remember that we don't disclose personal info on the boards. eh? Would you like me to post your home address sometime? -- not that I know it....)

Many go to G&M's
    No hardcrabs at G&M's, either. They have some whopping big crabcakes - too big, really. The deep inside often doesn't cook well.

BTW, best crabs are at Kaufman's near Glen Burnie. Around $30 for all you can eat and they're nice size and all year round.
    If you're talking about Kaufman's Tavern, it's in Gambrills, which is 10-12 miles south of Glen Burnie. I don't think it compares to Cantler's in quality of crabs. Cantler's sells Maryland crabs most of the year -- the Cantler family runs hundreds of crabpots between Whitehall Bay and the Bay Bridge, no middlemen. Kaufman's, which is not far from my house, imports Louisiana and Carolina crabs much of the season, through wholesalers. (I avoid Louisiana crabs since 1,000 people disappeared in the Louisiana bayous after Katrina).
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    (I avoid Louisiana crabs since 1,000 people disappeared in the Louisiana bayous after Katrina).
    Wow, I didn't think about that...but you've got a point there. :(

My favorite place for crabs is Harris Crab House at the Kent Narrows waterfront over here on the Eastern Shore. They are a complete seafood restaurant and the place is authentic, down to the brown paper on the tables.

Costas Inn
    4100 Northpoint Blvd.
    Baltimore, MD 21222
    410-477-1975

Captain Dick's in Arbutus has by far the best crabs inland of the coast. I don't know if you can eat there though, we always take out.
    (410) 242-2191
    5618 Southwestern Blvd , Baltimore, MD
    • Section 133 for eternity!
    • I know... The family resemblance is uncanny.
    • START WEARING PURPLE!!!!

Mr. Bill's Terrace Inn is the only place you need to go.

I know for a fact Costas often re-heats their crabs before serving. Decent seafood and crabcake dinners there, but skip the crabs.

Obricki's is a tourist trap now.

I went to Bo Brooks last year and was pleasantly surprised as I'd heard less than favorable reports. We'd ordered the big 'uns and they didn't disappoint - huge crabs - nicely seasoned too.

Thanks for everyone's input.

I forwarded the list to the folks and they will decide.