Nick Markakis Last Night

3/4, 3 solo HRs, 3.750 OPS.

All in a winning effort and he was the difference in a 6-3 win of the Twins. Seriously this has been the biggest bright spot for me this year Markakis has, partly because I have him in my keeper fantasy baseball team and he is going to be huge for me for a decade I hope.:D

Blog Entries

Re: Nick Markakis Last Night

Our rookies are really stealing the show! Loewen is becoming a real shut down pitcher against major opponents, Markakis is getting into the swinging groove...

Also, our younger guys are starting to catch up. You've got Chris Ray who's blossoming into a VERY dependable closer, Brian Roberts improving his hitting...

We just need to make sure to be careful and not ruin these guys.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Guys like Markakis, Loewen, Bedard, Ray, Patterson and Cabrera (after his performance Saturday) really make you almost look forward to next year. We still need a power-hitting first baseman, left fielder, and lots of pitching help though. Angelos has broken my heart too many times to make me think he'll actually get any of that though. I predict we'll sign another washed-up veteran for one last chance (ala Millar or Conine) and a scrap-heap middle reliever who will be gone by next July.

Blog Entries

This quote from the Minny manager almost makes ME feel stupider for having read it...

"I don't know if he's the guy who ran for president - [Michael] Dukakis? - but he killed us," said Twins manager Ron Gardenhire. "He probably could win some votes for president right now. We talked about changing our strategy for the third at-bat and he hit another homer. We couldn't get him out."
    What's with the Michael Dukakis reference? the names aren't THAT similar...I just like that a guy like Markakis is now taking the pressure off Tejada, so pitchers aren't worrying about him and giving him the hard stuff. This could really help open up our offense.

And we should start getting Gibbons on first base, see if he can make the transition before the offseason, where we'll REALLY need to make a decision.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag
    And we should start getting Gibbons on first base, see if he can make the transition before the offseason, where we'll REALLY need to make a decision.
    Was about to say this to the poster above you, we may already have a power hitting first baseman. Gibbons has played there before IIRC so it shouldn't be too hard for him to get it down.

We really need to build from within because, until we start winning, it's going to be difficult to lure the good FA's here unless we offer TONS of cash, which Angelos in all likelihood will not.
    ''You'd love to go on the first day but I'm glad for the situation I'm in,'' he said. ''Baltimore knows how to play defense.''

Blog Entries

the problem is, it seemed Javy would make a great power hitting 1B too...

Gibbons has played a handful of major league games at 1B...between RF and 1B is still a big transition

Another RBI for Markakis last night.

I think signing Gibbons to an extension was a mistake. He is a mediocre power hitter, and there's no telling he'd be any good defensively at 1B. He's already said he's not happy as a full-time DH, so we could be looking at another Javy-type situation where there's no way to get him enough playing time and keep him happy.

hehe same situation for me. I picked up Marakakis in my keeper league back in June and I have no been disappointed since. It's good to see a player like this getting progressively better and better with each at bat and each time he hits that field.

There is definitely a lot to be excited about for next year, but consistency in the pitching staff isn't something I'm sure we have just yet. I'd like to see Lowen throw a few more games like the last two before just to see that yes his consistency is there. Hopefully it is and we can worry about picking up a starter and some middle relief in the off season. Hopefully theyre able to bring Hayden Penn up before the season ends to give him some more ML experience.

As far as offense goes hopefully Gibbons works out at first base. He didn't do a bad job there last year and I would suspect he has to be at least as good as Kevin Millar is there, but will put up bigger numbers for us.

Any word on how close Conine is in the at bats extension? By the looks of things he will be coming back next year unless they stop giving him at bats.

I really don't care about the Orioles, but Markakis is a fun player to watch. Looks like he'll be a good one.

Nick Markickass, baby.

Markakis is doing very well, but let's see him do this again next year.

Speaking of Markakis, is the Orioleshangout board filled with homos? (No offense to those that live that lifestyle as a homo). They are nicknaming Markakis, "Kakes." They also make up nicknames such as "Miggy" and "Gibby."
    It's a new season! It's a new day!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRulz
    Speaking of Markakis, is the Orioleshangout board filled with homos? (No offense to those that live that lifestyle as a homo). They are nicknaming Markakis, "Kakes." They also make up nicknames such as "Miggy" and "Gibby."
    I doubt they made up "Miggy" and "Gibby". Those have been their nicknames for years. Even the rest of the team uses those nicknames for Tejada and Gibbons.