Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Wink Re: Anyone Want To Admit They Were Wrong About Something?

T, I think you were wrong about McNair being an unecesary panic move and him being washed up.
    Before the bye, he basically sucked. He's had a hot hand since the bye week and the OL has provided the best QB protection we've seen in Baltimore since 1996. Also, his seemingly weak arm has come alive again (I read somewhere that he may have been overworked in the preseason). So, for going on half a season, yes I will admit to be pleasantly surprised. (Although the way the OL is playing now, it could be that any average QB could direct traffic equally successfully).

In the long run, the jury is still out on whether the $33 million was a mistake or just the cost of doing business. Despite the improvement, he's still only the 18th rated QB in the NFL. He's playing perfect Dilferball: not losing games. Is that worth $33 million? Maybe it is, if making few mistakes is the piece of the winning formula of a serious playoff contender. If we have to let Adalius Thomas go because our FO destroyed the cap space in order to fund McNair, I would tend to still think it was a mistake.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Anyone Want To Admit They Were Wrong About Something?

Lots of people eating crow, er, Raven!!!
    I BLEED RAVEN PURPLE!!!

I'm just sorry i didn't tell y'all to shut up when you were whining earlier!

Jamal ~ I am sorry I called your career over and you completely washed up. You're playing alright ~ I'm not signing off on that 6 million roster bonus for next year, but you're doing an adequate job as the starter.

O-line ~ I am not sorry. Line play has gone up tremendously once we had new blood at the guard positions.

Ray ~ I'm sorry I called you a whiner. you're really the coordinator on the field for the D

Billick ~ I am sorry for doubting you. I was merely assuming you actually had less control over the offense and let coordinators be incompetent or were trying to hard to do things your way rather than installing your players and hoping they would call plays like you. Why didn't you work with Cavs on playcalling earlier?...Oh, sorry one quick hit ~ is the reason the D has always been good that you've always let the coordinator do their own thing rather than on O where you know more and got your hands in the pudding too much? We shall see.

Been a pleasant surprise...9-2 great things. I am loving the fact we're not getting the talk of the Pats, colts, Steelers (why are they bad talk), Bengals (wow, they're playing well and soo good again...but 6-5...), heck even the bears. Maybe we just need to hire a fanboy bandwagon?

I'm sorry for:
    I thought 9-7 or 10-6 was realistic.
    I though the offensive line was going to be a joke again when I saw the Vikings preseason game.
    I wanted more Musa (or even MA) and less Jamal.
    I thought the new H-back transition would make the offense less predictable and more dynamic.
    I was fine with the possibility of Mughelli being cut.
    I thought Biscotti's ultimatums to Billick would only further undermine the team's chemistry issues making Billick a lame duck coach that wouldn't have the team's attention.

I kept the faith:
    I'm a Billick "hugger" and I kept supporting him even though I admit sometimes he is slow to adapt and almost loyal to a fault.
    I didn't buy into the defense becomming too old.
    I had faith that Ozzie would find ways through the draft and free agency to replace any talent we might have lost.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I can't recall saying anything negative regarding players, coaches or the front office.

MistaT, McNair is doing more than Dilferball. Over the last 5 weeks he has played better than Dilfer. Quit figuring the numbers for the first 6 games because...

But I can't see anything that says the system hasn't changed since Billick took over playcalling duties.
    It isn't the play-calling, a monkey can throw darts at a play chart and do well if the chart is the result of good preparation AND the players are properly prepared and interested. Fact is, Fassel wasn't putting the work in. Cavanaugh just never had the talent on the outside to put pressure on teams and he might just not be very good as well, hard to tell.

Billick's preparation is why the OL and QB play has excelled recently. And while I am not hoping for an injury to McNair I am curious to see how Boller would perform under this new paradigm.

Over the last 5 weeks he has played better than Dilfer.
    I wasn't comparing his performance to Dilfer's -- Steve has been a better QB (since the bye). I was addressing the generally conservative "don't lose" Dilferball approach to the passing game of 2000, with few turnovers but few risky "verticals" or forcing of passes into traffic. I see much the same today, which is good when it works.
    Last edited by Mista T; 11-27-2006 at 06:17 PM.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I stated in the prediction thread before the season started, that with the off season moves - especially McNair, the Ravens would go 13-3. People scoffed at me. In fact as I recall, they told me to put down the crack pipe. However, 13-3 is very reachable with 5 games remaining.

It certainly is much more reachable since the Ravens seem to still be improving and finding ways to win games. The Steeler game was certainly a statement game that this team is for real and they believe in each other and have each other's back. (chemistry is cooking, especially compared to last season).

Was 13-3 a bit optimistic before our first game in September? Yes, but I just had a feeling starting with the off-season dress down of Billick and the commitment of the coaches including Billick to get back to winning games. The off -season got started with key signings: Pryce, Anderson, Stills, Ivy (re-sign Jamal) and then the marquee guy the Ravens masterfully handled, McNair.

The draft fell in place with Ngata, (the guy I pimped since December the year before the draft. I just didn't think would fall to us because every draft board had him going to Buffalo, but fell to us anyway after giving Cleveland a day 2 pick) Chester, Landry, Williams, Koch, Prude. -The only minor disappointment was Pittman. But Aaron Wilson has reported that the athleticism is starting to show up and he is getting more accustomed to NFL talent.

I really thought that winning that first game in Tampa was the key to grabbing much needed road momentum and confidence. It definatly helped get the Ravens the record they sport now. Of course I also took into consideration what the Steelers did the year prior. They were 6-10 the season before that and their schedule was favorable. With the right off season moves (which we did) I thought the Ravens could duplicate what the steelers did.

For the most part they have. They let one slip at home against the Panthers who seem to have our number (like the chiefs do) or we would have the same record as the Colts right now. We were beat hands down by the Broncos. But I would like to face them again after the changes we have made and how the team has defined its strengths and weaknesses. This team is peaking at just the right time.

They may lose to the Bengals after a tough game days earlier against the Steelers, but I am not counting them out. They have to play their best to beat the bengals. If they do, they still might make 13-3. At this point, I am more concerned about the playoffs and a bye and homefield more then anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Before the bye, he basically sucked. He's had a hot hand since the bye week and the OL has provided the best QB protection we've seen in Baltimore since 1996. Also, his seemingly weak arm has come alive again (I read somewhere that he may have been overworked in the preseason). So, for going on half a season, yes I will admit to be pleasantly surprised. (Although the way the OL is playing now, it could be that any average QB could direct traffic equally successfully).

In the long run, the jury is still out on whether the $33 million was a mistake or just the cost of doing business. Despite the improvement, he's still only the 18th rated QB in the NFL. He's playing perfect Dilferball: not losing games. Is that worth $33 million? Maybe it is, if making few mistakes is the piece of the winning formula of a serious playoff contender. If we have to let Adalius Thomas go because our FO destroyed the cap space in order to fund McNair, I would tend to still think it was a mistake.

T, you are severely underestimating what McNair has meant to this team. His pocket presence is a HUGE reason why the OL is all of a sudden playing much better. Sure, the unit itself is playing better but McNair avoids pressure and makes plays, period. Do you honestly believe these players just became this much better in the span of 5 or 6 weeks? You seem to be steadfast that "any average QB" could be doing what he's doing. I couldn't disagree more.

We're 9-2 and you are worried about the effect that McNair's contract could have on the re-signing of Thomas? We're a legitimate threat to make a serious run at another Super Bowl.

I love Thomas and hope he will be a Raven for years to come. But let's talk about our 9-2 first place team and the playoffs!

PP

I have nothing to apologize for except the fact that I was "less than convinced" that our O-Line would be performing the way they have been as of late.

Anyone who knows me also knows that I have relentlessly pimped:

1) Ray Lewis as something more than a mere mortal.
    2) Lord Billick as my favorite alltime coach along with Gary Williams.
    3) Jamal Lewis as "Not ready for the scrap heap just yet".
    4) The Baltimore Ravens as the greatest organization since my beloved Marine Corps was founded in 1775.
    Last edited by RAVENOUS52; 11-27-2006 at 08:30 PM.

I have nothing to apologize for except the fact that I was "less than convinced" that our O-Line would be performing the way they have been as of late.
    I was about to type something along these lines -- I am surprised (happily) that the OL has played as well as they have the past few games, especially this one against the Steelers. They provided the best pass protection I've seen them provide in a long, long time.

Other than that, I don't know what I can confess to being wrong about. I did want Anderson and Musa to get more playing time, but I'm not positive I was wrong about that -- I'm still not convinced that Jamal is all the way back, as some are saying. But he did look better yesterday, so I'm holding out hope that he'll be a factor down the stretch, but it's not a sure thing. But I do think he's playing better since Billick took over the playcalling.

McNair has also played a lot better since Billick took over the playcalling. I don't think that move should be underestimated. We're 5-0 since Billick took over the offense. It really seems to have given the team a boost.

Right....O-line's better...but how much of it is Billick and how much is Brown-Chester playing guard?

That's my question :hammer: