Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Jamal

Re: Jamal

Quote Originally Posted by The Fanatic View Post
    Why is it that everytime we've had a player put up a couple good years the RoH gets brought up?
    The Byner thing was a joke, but it is what it is.

I'd personally like to see some space left on that ring for future Ravens that play after I'm long gone.

Ray and J.O. are no brainers, after those two I think it should be quite some time before another name is put up that are in the same ilk as those types of players.
    Well, I think you are brining up examples of extremes.

Obviously Byner was a Modell thing and doesn't deserve to be in there.

JO and Ray are not only locks for our RoH but for the HOF.

I don't think it's a stretch for guys like Reed/Jamal/Heap to be discussed as possible inductees.

I don't want it to be an open door with inductions every other year but I think the RoH's criteria is WAY less than the HOF.

PP

What are they going to do when they run out of room in the Ring of Honor? Make the names tiny? They already have done that. Byner's name should be removed immediately. I certainly think Jamal is better than Byner. As far as his comments are concerned; Jamal is about Jamal. Looking out for number 1.I think his performance is boarderline deserving of the Ring of Honor, but not before Brian Billick.

Once again, I find myself agreeing with PP (I checked myself for a fever and didnt have one).

To deny him a spot in the RoH is simply petty. He made a huge contribution to the team while hear and has not said anything out of the ordinary for a player who goes for another teams pultry contract.

To use the "he went to a bitter rival" is even more petty. So what he went to the Clowns? At the end of the day, its a business and made the same decision 90% of us would make -- more money!

Congrats to him and his success. I look forward to his induction and I hope he gets his ass handed to him 2 times next year! ;)

In order to be inducted into the Ravens Ring of Honor, the key attributes for the player to possess are (as listed):

Character- Something Jamal lacked the final 2 or 3 years in Baltimore.

Gratitude- Which he clearly did not show, especially towards Billick, the organization, nor to most of the fans who supported him in his low moments.

Vision- Vision on the field as a great running back? Overall, yes. Vision as in supporting his coaches, teammates, and direction of the team? Definitely not.

Passion- I don't have the right to question Jamal's passion as a player, but what about his tempertantrum whinings that he wasn't "being used the right way"? That was more of a distraction than passion.

Faith and Courage- Once again, he didn't show faith in his coaches, teammates, or organization...that's why he wanted to leave.

Competitive Spirit- (see Passion)

Humility- Once again, another "no" for Jamal.

I know this may sound like I hated the guy, which I never have. During his tenure in Baltimore, I was a Jamal Lewis fan. But if the Ring of Honor were based soley on statistics, there would be more players inducted by now. You need greatness on the field as well as off the field. Jamal clearly showed the first, but not the last. So unfortunately, I'd have to say a big NO to Jamal in our RoH.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..." (Romans 1:16)

Blog Entries

Good breakdown Raven45...

My view on it is that the players in our Ring of Honor should be remembered distinctly for their involvement with the Ravens. Doesn't matter if they had involvement with other teams, but I want to see someone who made a difference as a Raven. Even a division rival...we're going to put Stover in and he played for the Browns before he played for us.

On performance, Jamal wouldn't rate as a lock for RoH, but there's definitley potential there. 7800 yards in 7 years is pretty good, plus the 2000 yard season.

That said, his character showed nothing of team spirit or community involvement. Yes, compared to Earnest Byner he'd be a great pick. But without the character and community involvement, his pick seems 50-50 to me. It'll seem even less necessary if McGahee stays here long term and continues his success.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Ray and J.O. are no brainers, after those two I think it should be quite some time before another name is put up that are in the same ilk as those types of players.
    I agree but I think after a while you have to include Billick as a no brainer. There will only ever be 1 first Ravens Super Bowl. (and i agree 100% with the decision to let him go!)
    As far as Jamal, no. Not enough of a "community" guy for me. The ROH should be for the brightest spots in Ravens history on and off the field. Say what you will about Ray complaining, his involvement in Baltimore balances it out.
    Actual user comment from a yahoo sports article:

On this given sunday you will witnesses why we'll called steeler nation!!!

I would support Billick getting in 200%. I loved Coach, but I have to admit, I think the timing was near perfect for his release (I personally would probably have given him ONE more year, considering the suckiness of the team this year was mostly due to injuries, penalties, and lazy play....hmmm, sounds alot like the 2005 season, huh?) We did just finish 13-3 the season before. But still, the timing was right.

Billick gave Ravens fans so many memories from his unforgettable press conferences, to speaking publicly what the fans thought (especially towards the refs), his Super Bowl victory, etc. Granted, he did have an ego. His offensive "promise" never panned out. And he had an infamous reputation with quarterbacks; but Coach Billick deserves to get in.

Does anyone know if the fans have a say in who gets in the Ring of Honor? Is there like an online poll or write-in, or something like that? For sure, that should DEFINITELY NOT be the final say in it, but it'd be nice for the fans to have a voice and the Management can have the final say from there.

-I know this had nothing to do with Jamal, but whatever.... Just wanted to throw in my gratuity and opinion to Billick.

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth..." (Romans 1:16)

Why is it that everytime we've had a player put up a couple good years the RoH gets brought up?
    The Byner thing was a joke, but it is what it is.

I'd personally like to see some space left on that ring for future Ravens that play after I'm long gone.

:respect TOTALLY CORRECT :respect

The ring of honour should be for the VERY special players now, and in the future. Jamal does NOT come into this region (nor will he)

not a chance...he has his money now and he will forget where the weight room is located at...
    Your Local Embroidery and screen printing Company..
    Cecil Countys Number 1 Raven Fan

RoH? I didn't think he should have been in it before he signed with Clev...

- C -

Thats a big fat negative. Jamal was a good back for us but his head got to big for his shoulder pads. He wasn't involve with the community and wasn't an every down back.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Sure, let's put the jerk in the ROH. Forget the fact that he proceeded to stick a knife in the collective backs of this organization and the fans who gave him the benefit of the doubt/stood by him when his dumb tail got in trouble (which by the way was HIS OWN FAULT). Way to show some appreciation/gratitude. But hey, let's put him in the ROH.

(I DO NOT take kindly to back-stabbing weed-smoking traitors. )
    Last edited by bmoreravengirl; 02-29-2008 at 04:35 PM.